Game Mechanics Wireless Teleporters

Spellbound

Terrarian
Teleporters are great and everything, but when you have to bridge the distance between them with kilometers of wire, they kinda lose their purpose... which is to make traveling easier. So you are left with teleporters rather close by because it's just too annoying to connect teleporters that are far away.

My solution is this: make each teleporter assigned a number, and every other teleporter with that same number will be connected. For example, say you have five teleporters, and each is assigned the number 1. When you use one fo the teleporters, you will shuffle through them. The order depends on which one was assigned their number before the other.

This can potentially make teleporters overpowered, so maybe just make em very expensive or require rare materials to craft (the Steampunker would only sell something like a 'Teleporter Core' or something).

Thoughts?

Four digits seems a bit overkill - how many teleporters do you want to place on the map? lol

Imo it'd be best if kept as simple as possible, with maybe a display on the teleporter to indicate what number has been assigned to it.

Or here's another idea: you could always colour-coordinate them! This could serve as a minor balancing feature, requiring you to use a certain number of gems to assign a colour to the teleporter. The only drawback is that it limits the number of teleporter groups to the number of different gems. Still quite a lot though.

yeaaaaah, i know exactly how the OP feels about this. i had spent a vast amount of time and coin wiring 2 pads together to go from the center of the map where my base was, all the way to the beach where the dungeon was for fast access later on....it was a nightmare that took me a day or two in order to finish and do so cleanly without any wasted wiring and ensure i didnt accidently leave any gaps in the wiring. something to the effect of wireless teleporters would be really nice.

personally i'd prefer that it gives us a pin number "entry" pad to enter in some sort of number to give it manually that works along the lines of the sign editor function, as to allow us to "program" our destination, rather than trying to mess with the auto-assigned values.

but all in all, i support the idea :)

personally i'd prefer that it gives us a pin number "entry" pad to enter in some sort of number to give it manually that works along the lines of the sign editor function, as to allow us to "program" our destination, rather than trying to mess with the auto-assigned values.
Yeah, that's kinda the idea. I didn't mean the teleporters come pre-assigned with their numbers, I meant you can give them any number you want. I guess the wording was ambiguous :p

The gem thing was just toying with balance ideas and to make use of existing items.

Hrmm interesting idea, but I'm not sure about that 4 digit code.
Suppose you had a big server of 30 people constantly, hundreds of buildings, eventually they would run out of teleporter colours/numbers, teleporting into peoples' homes and hideouts.

I have never even got to use any teleporters for the simple fact that I got bored trying get enough wire to finish the job and gave up some of the way through. Anything easier would help.

As for remembering 4-digit numbers, why not put a sign near the teleporter with the code and destination?

Suppose you had a big server of 30 people constantly, hundreds of buildings, eventually they would run out of teleporter colours/numbers, teleporting into peoples' homes and hideouts.
Not sure I ever saw servers this large, but if you think four digits woud be ideal, then sure, why not. Maybe have a little display on the teleporter itself that shows the four digits so you can tell at a glance to which frquency number it's connected to.

I daresay though that a map that uses that many teleporters is going to boggle the mind of anyone who plays it and unless they can navigate it through muscle memory alone.

Trust me, four digits is perfect, and will fit right on the teleporter... The teleporter will need to have two digits on each side, by the way... I hope that's no problem for the devs.

Or perhaps you could do the gem thing, but use 2 or 3 different gems. Seems like enough variety, and adds a cost for the convenience.
Not to mention you have to farm them.

Another idea I had was to do the same wireless system, but with special blocks instead of the teleporters, so that you can make everything wireless. Connect one wireless box with wire to a switch, give it a number (let's say 1) and connect another wireless box to whatever you want to activate, and give box same number. Flip switch, stuff activates.

This is kinda overpowered though. To balance, you could maybe make them very expensive so that it won't be cost efficient if used over short distances. You would mainly need them in complex wiring scenarios or over really long distances.

Off-topic: is it just me, or is the quote/reply/like segment confusing in the way it's seperated from it's respective post? I also think i'm replying to one post when in fact I'm just replying the previous one.

If i remember correct there was a plugin for tshock(not sure if i should write this after that conflict in past) once which allowed wireless connection between teleporters.Which is still updated and implimented on ATSP server.

Last edited:
A gem on either side of the teleporter, eh? And it has to find another teleporter with the same gem combination... I think the teleporter is like three blocks wide, maybe two, so you'll have 2-3 slots for gems. :D

Back
Top Bottom