PC World and character save files won't work.

Namefull

Terrarian
Steam or GOG
Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
Ok, so this started while I was playing normally when suddenly my power went out. After it came back in about an hour later my character when im trying to load in says "Unkownerror" with 0 hours played and default health/mana. so after this I decided to go to my documents folder after looking at the other characters i have (they still work) i noticed that this character was missing a " .BAK " file so I did some research and found out that the file was being deleted every time I open Terraria. Even after dragging the file in multiple times it will not load. As for the world its pretty much the same problem, the name of the world when i try to load in is not there and when i checked the files it is not missing any files my other worlds, however all of my other worlds have three files " .BAK .BAK2 .WLD ". On this world however the .BAK2 and .WLD files are there but the .BAK file seems to be replaced with a " .BAD ". When i try to open the world it says " Load failed!" " No backup found". Have been trying to fix for hours if anyone has any insight it would be very helpful, thank you.

Last edited:
I think your character and world(including its backup somehow) got corrupted. Although I have to ask, what happens if you change the ".BAK2" file into a ".BAK" file? Not sure if it'll fix the problem, but if it at least gets your world back, great!

As for your character, if they're corrupted, they're gone forever. At least as far as I'm aware anyways.

I think your character and world(including its backup somehow) got corrupted. Although I have to ask, what happens if you change the ".BAK2" file into a ".BAK" file? Not sure if it'll fix the problem, but if it at least gets your world back, great!

As for your character, if they're corrupted, they're gone forever. At least as far as I'm aware anyways.
So this did not work however i did find that when i try to host the world as a server it instead gives me the error "System.NullReferenceException" followed by
Terraria.Main.WriteFancyWorldLoadErrorToConsole()
Terraria.Main.DedServ()
Terraria.Program.LaunchGame(String[] args, Boolean monoArgs)
Terraria.Program.RunGame()

I do not know if this has anything to do with it but figured i should put it out there anyway, again thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom