**REPORTED** ZENITH RANGE WRONG WHEN USING A CONTROLLER!

ILoveSodyPop

Terrarian
Steam or GOG
Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 10
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Controller (please specify type)
PLEASE FIX THE RANGE ON THE ZENITH WHEN USING A CONTROLLER. As you can see in the photo I attached, the Zenith has a range of 15 when using a controller. I think this might have already been reported as a bug but I'm not sure. This is Terraria 1.4.0.5 being played with a controller. I have tried multiple different kinds of controllers. It should have the same range as the Starfury (the entire screen) which does work properly with a controller. Please give the Zenith the proper range when playing with a controller. Thank you.
1594141580268_ZENITH.png

Last edited:
Just an FYI, they haven't officially responded to a bug thread since thursday. probably won't be back in until tuesday. keep your head up, I'm sure it'll get fixed.

Just an FYI, they haven't officially responded to a bug thread since thursday. probably won't be back in until tuesday. keep your head up, I'm sure it'll get fixed.
Thanks man, I appreciate that. Yeah, I know they'll fix it. They always do. I just hope it's soon. I waited so long for Journeys End and it was worth it because it's even better than I though it would be but it sucks not being able to use the best/coolest item in the game properly. They always find time to fix the issues though. That's why Terraria is so frickin good! Lol.

A lot of people play this game with a controller. Can you please just change the range on the Zenith. I have spent so much money on your game. I own it for every platform except iOS, even the old gen consoles and I never bought it while it was on sale. Lol. I got your action figures, t-shirts and all sorts of other stuff. I have turned many people on to your game. Please help me out (and all controller users) and don't make us wait til the next version update to fix this. I've dealt with it for over 6 weeks and it's something that could be fixed in minutes. It has put a huge damper on what I consider to be the best update to any game ever. You don't have to solve a problem or figure anything out, you just have to change the range of the Zenith while using a controller. At least give me a little feedback and let me know what's going on. Please and thank you.
You can just ask if they could fix it. Don't need to tell us all your purchases from the last nine years.

You can just ask if they could fix it. Don't need to tell us all your purchases from the last nine years.
I've been asking them to fix it for 6 weeks in every way that's possible. Bug report, random posts, Facebook, Reddit, you name it and I can't even get a response. Just letting them know I'm a loyal customer that supports there product as much as possible. Thought that might make them prioritize it a little higher. Especially because it's not even a bug. They just have to go change one line of code. And I like how you have nothing better to do with your time than call people out. Lol. Either post that your having the same issue, post a solution or don't post at all. If you wanna be a :red: head over to the Trump forums. You'd fit right in with all the other morons.

Last edited:
I've been asking them to fix it for 6 weeks in every way that's possible. Bug report, random posts, Facebook, Reddit, you name it and I can't even get a response. Just letting them know I'm a loyal customer that supports there product as much as possible. Thought that might make them prioritize it a little higher. Especially because it's not even a bug. They just have to go change one line of code. And I like how you have nothing better to do with your time than call people out. Lol. Either post that your having the same issue, post a solution or don't post at all. If you wanna be a :red: head over to the Trump forums. You'd fit right in with all the other morons.
Don't need to take my joke so seriously.

have you tried with smart cursor and without? can you have a starfury and a zenith in your hotbar, move the caret out of reach with the starfury and then just change to the zenith to see if it rebounds or not. I know it's a shot in the dark, and I have no reason to think this will work (I do not have a controller for PC), but it's worth a try.

in the defense of the devs, it's actually somewhat unlikely that this is just a single line of code to change... I fancy myself a bit of a programmer and I have some ( very little) experience with controller and I'm thinking that the caret range is controlled by more than one attribute of the item, and not just a list of items who's range is unlimited, or a single field of the item that designates it as unlimited range.

have you tried with smart cursor and without? can you have a starfury and a zenith in your hotbar, move the caret out of reach with the starfury and then just change to the zenith to see if it rebounds or not. I know it's a shot in the dark, and I have no reason to think this will work (I do not have a controller for PC), but it's worth a try.

in the defense of the devs, it's actually somewhat unlikely that this is just a single line of code to change... I fancy myself a bit of a programmer and I have some ( very little) experience with controller and I'm thinking that the caret range is controlled by more than one attribute of the item, and not just a list of items who's range is unlimited, or a single field of the item that designates it as unlimited range.
They will fix it, it's a small change but it will be in 1.4.1 or 1.4.0.6 idk

Last edited:
Yeah I have tried the things you have suggested and a few other with no luck. I have no doubt that they will fix it. They always do. I program too and the one line of code remark was a bit of an exaggeration. What I meant is that the code change it's range to anywhere on the screen is already written for the Starfury, Starwrath etc. So it should be relatively simple to utilize that code for the purposes of correcting the range issue with the Zenith. I meant no disrespect to the creators and developers of Terraria. They are all incredible and it's because they take their time that the game is so amazing. Thanks for the suggestions though quixilver87.

Last edited:
if I'm writing this in visual studio (red said this is what the engine was written in at least), and I'm trying to optimize for runtime, I'd write this to check a bit of the ID of the use item. like, assume there are ~5k items in game so assume a 16 bit length for the ID... If you, say, can make all of your unlimited range items have the 9th bit as 1 (while sticking to the original ID system) you have the fastest possible check while not having to technically store more data or change your current data structure...(all items with unlimited range would have to be ID 512 or more, and there would be whole blocks of 512 items that would need to be unlimited or 'not for by hand use'...

I'm not saying this is exactly HOW this type of thing is set... just that this would be the fastest way to program this type of thing (and with having to check it possibly every frame would mean you'd want to write it to run uber fast and include the info in data you're already loading)
Worst case scenario is that there is no more room in the ID pool (for the covered ID range) for more unlimited items meaning you'd have to use a different bit for that, or that the pool of possible unlimited items has non-use items, and would require a sizeable re-structuring of the list and assurances that those ID's aren't used in special calculations anywhere else.. and that's before figuring in any other special tags stored this way.

I guess what I'm saying is, If I'm not being pedantic, it's probably just a minor oversight that's low on the list of things to get changed... but maybe not.

I completely agree with you. I just hope it's not considered low priority to them. A lot of ppl play with controllers and the Zenith is arguably the biggest and best thing added in 1.4 so I'm hoping they will take care of it sooner rather than later. Thanks for your info and opinions they were very interesting and informative.

This is a known issue with the Zenith while using the Controller. The Developers are aware of the issue. I don't know when it will be fixed.

This is a known issue with the Zenith while using the Controller. The Developers are aware of the issue. I don't know when it will be fixed.
That's great news. I just wanted to make sure they knew about it. I know they care about the quality of Terraria and their customers satisfaction more than anything. I know they will get it fixed as soon as they can. They are an absolutely fantastic group of devs and Redigit is my hero. Lol. Thank you very much for the info.

Back
Top Bottom