Zombie-Safe Town?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kira Resari

Terrarian
I was wondering...

How do I build a town consisting of multiple houses, where no monsters can spawn?

I've read on the Wiki that player placed background walls prevent monsters from spawning, and that fences count as backgroudn walls for that purpose, so I fenced in all the open areas between the houses, but when night fell...

*knock* *knock*

There's a Zombie on your lawn

Aaaand, since I don't like Zombies on the lawn, I was wondering?

How do I Zombie-prove a Village of multiple houses?

That's great but...

Actually, I'm more interested into what conditions apply for mob spawning, and how I can prevent it within the confines of my town, at least for ground-based enemies. =^,^=

Well for one, if you actually have NPCs in your village they decrease the spawn rate. I believe if you have 2 or more, no mobs will spawn as long as you are within a certain radius of them in your village.

What I did was:

Place a couple of torches on the lawn, say, one every 7 blocks or so.
Place fences in the background all the way from one house to the next.

But the next night, I still get Zombies between two houses...

The questions that are on my mind here are:

1. How much fence do I need to place for it to count as player placed background? Is one row of fence on a flat surface of grass enough, or do I need two or hree rows of fence?
  2. How much light does it take to adequately light an outside area? Does it take a torch every 7 blocks? Every 5? Every 3?

Well, I ended up doing that in the end since I couldn't find a way to make my original town safe.

No I have a ghost town nearby. =@,@=

The original question remains:
Is it even possible to build town with safe outside-areas by using fences?

Last edited:
Houses don't decrease spawn rate, active NPC habitation does. How many NPCs do you have? Enemies will stop spawning when your NPC count is higher. Not sure if 2 is the hard count (I'm pretty sure I've seen monsters with just the Guide and Merchant), but 3 or 4 is a good bet. Once you start really exploring, they should start arriving pretty quickly provided you have suitable housing for them.

Also, this won't protect you from Blood Moons and, later, Eclipses, and neither will bunkering down underground. Best bet is to build your houses on stilts so th- ah, dang, ninja'd by Milt.

So, at the end of the day, there is no way to make an outside area truly safe, is there?

Actuated blocks creating large pit falls, Traps, All doors actuated and wired to one switch to close them all during moons.

•forgot to mention possibly creating a dome around your village using whatever material you prefer.

I'll take that as a "no". =^,~'=

Sorry, the description of spawning mechanics and fences made me believe that there actually was a way to make outdoor areas safe without literally flooding them with hazards.

Sorry, the description of spawning mechanics and fences made me believe that there actually was a way to make outdoor areas safe without literally flooding them with hazards.

I wouldn't call actuated block(when you press the mechanism of your choice they become inactive, therefore you're able to go through them) pitfalls exactly a hazard. It's just time consuming and costly.

Have you tried completely filling in a large area with walls or fences and wait and see if any mobs spawn? Relying on other people to do something you can easily do yourself isn't going to help you out. You can also try expirementing with torches and walls to see if they reduce spawn rates. Also, like others have said, actually having NPCs in your village/place of living reduces the amount of mobs that can spawn in a certain time. If you have around 3-4 NPCs in one general location no mobs can spawn without it being a Blood Moon or Solar Eclipse.

Do you mind posting a screenshot of your setup so we can know how you are trying to decrease the spawning of mobs?

Some things to consider:

- lighting and torches doesn't affect mob spawns as Minecraft does.
- I recall hearing somewhere that fences are bugged and don't prevent mob spawns but I can't say if that's true or not.
- NPCs significantly reduce mob spawns.

If you want to negate it and not build traps then you need to build one massive base and stay in the center I guess.

With my experience in NPC Housing and Spawning, nothing will stop monsters from spawning.

BUT, you can be able to REDUCE them spawning!

-Place extra walls around your town (fences work as well)
-Place torches all over (slightly decreases the spawnrate, but at least you won't go blind)
-Use the calm potion (that'll greatly decrease the chance of monsters spawning
-Have NPCs scattered and separated from each other, that'll reduce the mob spawnrate
-Get rid of every water candle in your town (that increases mob spawnrate)
-Build traps inside and outside the town, and wire them up to several levers (mobs/NPCs can't activate plates)

If those don't work and there's so many monsters spawning, build a bunker above the town (monster won't be able to get in there except for Caster AI). You can wire up King and Queen statues in there and that'll spawn the NPCs (Do note that they stay there TEMPORARY, not PERMANENT)

That's all for now, hope that works

I am currently experimenting if I could do something like that. I started by digging out a long stretch of land then replacing the dirt blocks, then I added grass walls and an elevated dirt platform kinda like what you can see naturally form in some worlds. Then I am going to build a village atop that with either fences or background walls. I don't know if it will work or if it's even hardmode-proof, but what the hey...

village.png

Might be worth a try. I've got obscene amounts of dirt anyway.

And at worst, it'll make a solid base for a boss arena =^,^= (← Gets eaten by The Destroyer)

My way of not letting enemies into my base and killing NPCs:

Step 1: Grab whatver you need to go adventuring/mining for a long period of time
Step 2: Leave base. Monsters won't spawn in/near your base if you arn't there!

If you don't like going adventuring or mining for long periods of time, ignor that guide.

Side note: I read somewhere that 4 or more NPCs in an area negates the spawning of hostile mobs nearby. I don't know if that is true or not, however.

It's 3 NPCs in an area and mobs will only spawn during invasions, blood moons, and solar eclipses. That's really ever the only protection I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom