Votes: 49 83.1%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Incomplete...

Votes: 10 16.9%

• Total voters

Baconfry

Terrarian
Obsidian isn't exactly the most useful of materials, is it? Used to craft the Obsidian Skull, and as a binding agent in Hellstone Bars, but not one of these crafting applications takes advantage of obsidian's most famous physical property.
It's incredibly sharp. A knife made of obsidian, flaked down to a razor edge, easily splits a sternum, slices through an aorta, and leaves its prize open for the picking...

sacrificialknife.png

Sacrificial Knife
18 melee damage
19% critical strike chance
Fast speed

Enemies killed with the Sacrificial Knife have a 50% chance of dropping a heart. This is of course a reference to the knife's purpose in ancient Aztec rituals.
Crafted: 30 Obsidian, 12 Jungle Spores, 10 Emeralds. (If you guys can suggest improvements to the recipe to modify the weapon's tier, I'd appreciate it.)

But why stop there?

obsidianarrow.png

Obsidian Arrow
10 ranged damage
Crafted: Obsidian, 5 Wooden Arrow
Increased critical strike chance could be Obsidian's thing, so that will be the advantage this ammunition has besides a simple damage upgrade.

How did I do? (Disclaimer: if you're going to search for "Aztec ritual sacrifice", don't do it right before lunch.)

Obsidian isn't exactly the most useful of materials, is it? Used to craft the Obsidian Skull, and as a binding agent in Hellstone Bars, but not one of these crafting applications takes advantage of obsidian's most famous physical property.
It's incredibly sharp. A knife made of obsidian, flaked down to a razor edge, easily splits a sternum, slices through an aorta, and leaves its prize open for the picking...

View attachment 10340
Sacrificial Knife
18 melee damage
19% critical strike chance
Fast speed

Enemies killed with the Sacrificial Knife have a 50% chance of dropping a heart. This is of course a reference to the knife's purpose in ancient Aztec rituals.
Crafted: 30 Obsidian, 12 Jungle Spores, 10 Emeralds. (If you guys can suggest improvements to the recipe to modify the weapon's tier, I'd appreciate it.)

But why stop there?

View attachment 10339
Obsidian Arrow
10 ranged damage
Crafted: Obsidian, 5 Wooden Arrow
Increased critical strike chance could be Obsidian's thing, so that will be the advantage this ammunition has besides a simple damage upgrade.

How did I do? (Disclaimer: if you're going to search for "Aztec ritual sacrifice", don't do it right before lunch.)
I now ant obsidian armor

Obsidian Armor you say? Thorium Mod+ has you covered

But, as for the crafting recipe, you could put one of the following in:
  • Demonite
  • Crimtane
  • Bones
  • Jungle Spore
  • Hellstone
The Weapon is aight. I like it, but is it a shortsword?

Obsidian Armor you say? Thorium Mod+ has you covered

But, as for the crafting recipe, you could put one of the following in:
  • Demonite
  • Crimtane
  • Bones
  • Jungle Spore
  • Hellstone
The Weapon is aight. I like it, but is it a shortsword?
I chose Jungle Spores, as you can see in the original post. And it's a broadsword, of course, because I don't want this to be completely useless.

That puts a tear in my eye, but in all seriousness: I think Jungle Spores just wouldn't fit with the color scheme, and the recipe of it.

It's a nice idea. 50% droprate is a bit high in my opinion though.
I suppose... it only applies to the final blow, though, and it's constrained by the weapon's range. Also forgot to mention that it doesn't apply to statue spawns...

You're right, though, 33% might be a better rate.

And the hearts would be used for... what?
maybe crafted with bones and stuff at demon alters/crimson alters to make summoner items?

.... oh...
so its pre-hm vampire knives?
why not have this be a throwing knife-like weapon?
Making it a projectile makes it tougher to balance, as you can see from the Vampire Knifes. The healing is offset a bit by the risk that comes with close-range sword combat.

In addition, it would have to be a consumable weapon... I dislike consumable weapons. Keeping it as a broadsword is simplest.

Wow, this simple suggestion is, though very small, interesting. The concepts are pretty original and like I said before, interesting. This is unique, nicely sprited and sounds pretty cool.

I like it, I like it a lot!
Due to the nature of the obsidion knife and the lore surrounding it in mayan, satanic, etc. history I think it should be used in some sort of "crafting" for an end-game item of some sort (cursed blade, perhaps? or something along that line) which would be performed at a demon alter or crimson alter, et cetera et cetera! I think the knife and arrow itself are amazing, I just think you need more ideas!

perhaps: a macuahuitl added to the set as a broad sword that would deal close to the same thing. consider it a straight upgrade?

The Maquahuitl and Atlatl (throwing spear) were two things I considered, but I couldn't move up with unique uses for them, and decided we have enough weapons in that tier. Definitely interesting things to consider, though!

The Maquahuitl and Atlatl (throwing spear) were two things I considered, but I couldn't move up with unique uses for them, and decided we have enough weapons in that tier. Definitely interesting things to consider, though!

The dagger should have a faster speed but shorter range than the Maquahuitl if you're going to keep it as a broadsword (though I think it honestly should be a short sword. it adds to the risk and thus balances it, but that's just my opinion) and perhaps the maquahuitl can have a chance to cause a short bleed damage debuff (one to two points of damage in a short period). further more, the dagger's hearts would heal more damage than the maquahuitl. As for a throwing spear, I think it should be a mana-based thrown weapon (much like the magic dagger). it would have a lower attack speed and damage than the dagger (or at the very most, lower than the maquahuitl) but greater range, as well as the ability to pierce through one enemy.

Back
Top Bottom