The Anime/Manga/VN Thread...

Thanks much, I'll probably have to write those down so I don't forget.

One caveat before you watch Haruhi Suzumiya, during season 2, there's an infamous arc known as the "Endless Eight", which encompasses episodes 2-9 (or 12-19, it's a little complicated). You can watch the whole thing if you want, but for your own sanity, I'd recommend doing what I did and watching only episodes 2, 5, and 9 (or 12, 15, and 19). You won't miss anything. Trust me. You'll know exactly what I mean once you get there.

Another thing you should know is that the show was originally broadcast out of chronological order, and then all later releases also had completely different, usually also non-chronological orders (hence why the episodes I mentioned above can be numbered differently). Because of this, different sources will have different episode orders. I recommend watching them in chronological order, just because it'll be easier to follow, even though you'll miss out on a few things like better pacing. Just be aware that this will screw with the next-episode previews, which will not always match up with the next episode if you watch it chronologically. I'll provide a link below to a place where you can watch it in chronological order.

Also, once you're done watching the series, make sure you find the movie, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. It is literally the best movie I've ever seen. And I've seen Citizen Kane.

The other three I mentioned I don't really have any extra advice about, except that Puella Magi Madoka Magica also has a great movie that you should watch after finishing that series. It's called Puella Magi Madoka Magica: Rebellion, and is not to be confused with the other two PMMM movies, which are just recaps of the series.

Here are some links to what I could find, in the order I recommend you watch them:

Log Horizon

Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Crunchyroll also has this one in English dub if you prefer that, but I can't attest to the quality of the dub since I watched it in sub)

PMMM: Rebellion

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (This has both seasons 1 and 2, arranged in chronological order. What this means is that both seasons are mixed in together, since some parts of season 2 happen chronologically in the middle of season 1. It should be fine that way, though. In this order the Endless Eight are episodes 12-19.)

Gurren Lagann

The reason I recommend that order is mainly because of increasing weirdness, lol. PMMM has some weird stuff, but is very easy to understand compared to Haruhi, which is a complete mind screw (hence all the caveats), but Haruhi is at least grounded in some kind of reality whereas Gurren Lagann is... Gurren Lagann. Gurren Lagann is also the kind of show that will leave you feeling like you inhaled an entire bowl of meth for the rest of the day after you finish it, so it's best saved for last.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions, I've written them down, and I appreciate the advice on how to retain my sanity. I'll let you know what I thought after I watch them.

At long last, I have finished Log Horizon, and I must say, it was really good. I must say, it is infinitely better paced than SAO. Also, I really liked at least most of the characters, specifically Akatsuki, Krusty, Shiroe, and the leader of the West Wind Brigade, whose name I cannot remember (I'm awful at remembering names). Reasons why I like the characters:
Akatsuki- She's strong and rather adorable. Also, she gives Naotsugu a hard time for being such a perv, so that's nice.
Krusty- He's strong, smart, and rather suave. He's a great leader, but he also knows a good time to nap when presented with one.
Shiroe- Very clever, maybe a better strategist than Oddyseus. I'm rather confused as to why girls are fighting over him though, as you'd think most girls wouldn't be interested in the anti-social recluse kinda guy.
Soujiro (yes I looked up his name whilst making this)- I really enjoy this character, because although he could easily be extremely vain, and basically be Justin Bieber, he's mature, and he actually cares for his guild members, as opposed to Justin Bieber who said one of his fangirls looked like a whale. So yeah, he's mature, caring, and doesn't let his popularity control him.
There were characters I didn't like though, namely Tetora. I mean, I understand if a guy wants to play as a girl just to mess with the other guys, but Tetora takes it a bit too far.
I find the story to be rather interesting, as the people are simply trying to prevent a social collapse for a while, then trying to create a solid economy, as well as trying to find a way home (I still wanna know how they got there in the first place).
One thing that really confuses me, Minori is in middle school or something, right? So why does she have a crush on a guy that was getting a master's degree in whatever it was he was studying?
I also watched the first two episodes of PMMM, and well, I was expecting wierd, just not, materializing blunderbusses from a miniskirt kinda wierd. Personally, I don't like the characters so far, it may be because my younger sister and all her friends are 8th graders, and they all seem to hate me for no reason, but it may also be because the show simply hasn't really given me a reason to like them so far.
Well this has been rather wordy, so I'll just stop here and give an update once I get around to finishing PMMM.

Last edited:
Yeah, Akatsuki and Shiroe are my favorite characters in the show, Akatsuki because she has a great combination of adorableness and strength that I like, and Shiroe because he's basically who I aspire to be like. Except the harem thing, I don't need that, thank you very much.

One thing that really confuses me, Minori is in middle school or something, right? So why does she have a crush on a guy that was getting a master's degree in whatever it was he was studying?

I mean, it's not like she chose it. But it seems pretty natural to me, after all admiration can often turn into love in real life as well.

I also watched the first two episodes of PMMM, and well, I was expecting wierd, just not, materializing blunderbusses from a miniskirt kinda wierd. Personally, I don't like the characters so far, it may be because my younger sister and all her friends are 8th graders, and they all seem to hate me for no reason, but it may also be because the show simply hasn't really given me a reason to like them so far.

PMMM takes a few episodes to get into its stride. The first three or so episodes are mostly just stage-setting, and it's only after that that you really start to get into the characters' heads. Just stick it out. I've had a lot of the people whom I introduced to the show tell me that they wanted to drop it after the first two or three episodes, for varying reasons, but once I convinced them to keep going they all loved it by the end.

Also, if you think summoning blunderbusses out of miniskirts is weird, just wait until you see what else is in store for you. And not just in this show, but in Haruhi and ESPECIALLY Gurren Lagann.

PMMM takes a few episodes to get into its stride. The first three or so episodes are mostly just stage-setting, and it's only after that that you really start to get into the characters' heads. Just stick it out. I've had a lot of the people whom I introduced to the show tell me that they wanted to drop it after the first two or three episodes, for varying reasons, but once I convinced them to keep going they all loved it by the end.

Also, if you think summoning blunderbusses out of miniskirts is weird, just wait until you see what else is in store for you. And not just in this show, but in Haruhi and ESPECIALLY Gurren Lagann.
Trust me, I really don't feel like watching episode 3 of PMMM, but I will anyways. You see, my main problem is the characters. Really, I can handle the weird stuff just fine, but the characters just seem. Well. Unrealistic from my point of view. Odds are it's because every 8th grade girl I've met is lazy, hates school, and would be infinitely more freaked out by the telepathic cat thing and the labyrinths. But with luck, I may learn to at the very least enjoy the characters. And yes, the characters are more unbelievable to me at the moment than just about any other character from anything I've ever watched. I'm sure that's just me though.

Trust me, I really don't feel like watching episode 3 of PMMM, but I will anyways. You see, my main problem is the characters. Really, I can handle the weird stuff just fine, but the characters just seem. Well. Unrealistic from my point of view. Odds are it's because every 8th grade girl I've met is lazy, hates school, and would be infinitely more freaked out by the telepathic cat thing and the labyrinths. But with luck, I may learn to at the very least enjoy the characters. And yes, the characters are more unbelievable to me at the moment than just about any other character from anything I've ever watched. I'm sure that's just me though.

It's a cultural thing. You see, in Japanese culture, youthfulness is considered a desirable trait, especially for women (this will make sense in a minute, just hear me out), so Japanese kids are encouraged to mature more slowly, which is why Japanese creators tend to portray younger characters as being more childish than Americans might be at that stage. This is why supposed 8th graders like Madoka and Sayaka don't freak out at the appearance of all this weird stuff, because at that age they still have this "childlike wonder" mentality.

Not to mention, the Japanese don't have that stereotype that Americans have of middle schoolers being rebellious and/or lazy, mainly because they have a stronger cultural work ethic in general. You'll still have characters like that sometimes, but those are the minority. The characters in PMMM are perfectly realistic according to Japanese society.

You have to remember that for as many tropes as it shares with Western culture, anime is foreign. Therefore it will not always conform to your expectations, especially when those expectations are based on your own personal experiences. (For instance, I've known plenty of cheerful, enthusiastic, and well-behaved middle-schoolers.) As you watch more anime you'll learn more about Japanese culture, so it'll be easier for you to get into the mindset required. In the meantime just try to enjoy it for what it is rather than what you expect it to be.

It's a cultural thing. You see, in Japanese culture, youthfulness is considered a desirable trait, especially for women (this will make sense in a minute, just hear me out), so Japanese kids are encouraged to mature more slowly, which is why Japanese creators tend to portray younger characters as being more childish than Americans might be at that stage. This is why supposed 8th graders like Madoka and Sayaka don't freak out at the appearance of all this weird stuff, because at that age they still have this "childlike wonder" mentality.

Not to mention, the Japanese don't have that stereotype that Americans have of middle schoolers being rebellious and/or lazy, mainly because they have a stronger cultural work ethic in general. You'll still have characters like that sometimes, but those are the minority. The characters in PMMM are perfectly realistic according to Japanese society.

You have to remember that for as many tropes as it shares with Western culture, anime is foreign. Therefore it will not always conform to your expectations, especially when those expectations are based on your own personal experiences. (For instance, I've known plenty of cheerful, enthusiastic, and well-behaved middle-schoolers.) As you watch more anime you'll learn more about Japanese culture, so it'll be easier for you to get into the mindset required. In the meantime just try to enjoy it for what it is rather than what you expect it to be.
I suppose you're right, perhaps I should just move to Japan. Nevermind, I like America, I think I'll stay here, but if certain people are elected, Japan doesn't seem like such a bad option.

From what I hear Japan is a great place to visit, but not so much one to live in. In particular they're having a huge population crisis at the moment that's liable to boil over pretty soon, so I'd advise holding off on the moving plans for at least a little while.

From what I hear Japan is a great place to visit, but not so much one to live in. In particular they're having a huge population crisis at the moment that's liable to boil over pretty soon, so I'd advise holding off on the moving plans for at least a little while.
Wasn't planning on moving there anytime soon, but if a certain person who says they want to be president in 2020 is elected somehow, Japan seems like a decent option.

I repeat, Watch Black rock shooter. It good. Thought a warning

the OVA, The Anime series and Video game/ Manga All Take place in different, But similar universes

I repeat, Watch Black rock shooter. It good. Thought a warning

the OVA, The Anime series and Video game/ Manga All Take place in different, But similar universes
Fear not, Black Rock Shooter is on my list. I actually wrote a list. And Black Rock Shooter is on said list.

Can we see this list?
I'd take a picture of it, but I don't have any sort of camera at my disposal (and it's not exactly my best handwriting). But anyways, here's the contents of said list.
Log Horizon (watched)
Puella Magi Madoka Magica (currently watching)
PMMM: Rebellion
The Melencholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Gurren Lagann
Black Rock Shooter
That's all I have at the moment, but feel free to give me any more suggestions you have.

Well, I finished PMMM. I haven't watched Rebellion yet because the link wouldn't work, so I'll try again soon. Anyways. I ended up enjoying PMMM to be honest. Remembering the fact that the anime takes place in a different culture, and realizing that there are a few 8th grade girls who don't hate my guts really helped. While I didn't dislike most of the characters by the end, the only character I really enjoyed was Homura. The reason I liked Homura was the fact that she took care of herself, but wasn't fighting for herself. I wnated to like the other characters, but although I didn't dislike them the majority of the time, I didn't truly enjoy them either.

Also, I've watched the first 5 episodes of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzimiya so far. For some reason I don't truly understand, I really enjoy it. I don't know why, but I really enjoy Haruhi herself. It's wierd because she seems like the kind of person I would hate if I met her irl, but in the anime, I actually enjoy her character. If anything it would have to be just how eccentric she is. The opening and ending are great as well, they just sound so happy that I'll usually at least grin while listening to them. Anyways, I suppose I'll go finish that up now, if I can find time among all my schoolwork.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom