Member-Run Contest The Terraria Vidya Game Art Off!

Don't have any example other than my custom bosses, a video such as this but with contents showed following the actual theme. If the current theme involves the current mechanical bosses, something such as an edited mechanical boss.
As long as you make the sprites yourself, that would be real cool as a submission.
If someone else makes the sprites, you can turn it in as a collab submission. That'd be cool too.

As long as you make the sprites yourself, that would be real cool as a submission.
If someone else makes the sprites, you can turn it in as a collab submission. That'd be cool too.
I'm definitely not a spriter, altho if the theme is mechanical bosses, it would be logical to use one of the mechanical bosses as a sprite (unless it is legit to use a "mechanical version" of any other boss). The only thing I can offer under the art format is my programming skills tho. I guess I'd be fine with occasionally participate even as a collab but how would the prize be dealt with then.

Looks very interesting, I'm preparing an entry for this. What I suggest is have a deadline for entries and then have a time where members can vote. This way things will be better organized and if people post their entries a lot later than others and a few members have already finished with their votes, there won't be any disadvantages to spending a lot of time on an entry.

Here we go. Spent a good three hours on this.
Mechanical Chaos.png

I might improve it a bit. But until then, this is the finished product.

Last edited:
I'm definitely not a spriter, altho if the theme is mechanical bosses, it would be logical to use one of the mechanical bosses as a sprite (unless it is legit to use a "mechanical version" of any other boss). The only thing I can offer under the art format is my programming skills tho. I guess I'd be fine with occasionally participate even as a collab but how would the prize be dealt with then.
A collab would have to decide who gets the prize, since there's not enough prizes :p Programming isn't exactly art, so I can't allow just an example of programming as a submission.

Looks very interesting, I'm preparing an entry for this. What I suggest is have a deadline for entries and then have a time where members can vote. This way things will be better organized and if people post their entries a lot later than others and a few members have already finished with their votes, there won't be any disadvantages to spending a lot of time on an entry.

So, When Do We Start?
Right now.
The first theme is Mechanical Mayhem. Anything related to the theme is accepted. Your submissions don't have to be related to Terraria!
The deadline is in three weeks (05/03/2015).
Anybody can vote for the week following that.
Simply post your submissions here to enter!

GOOD LUCK&HAVE FUN
that's the plan ^^
i'll edit the deadline for some clarification

A collab would have to decide who gets the prize, since there's not enough prizes :p Programming isn't exactly art, so I can't allow just an example of programming as a submission.
Every sort of manual work which involves creativity is art. Music happens to be art and nowdays it's almost entirelly programmed, why programming AIs isn't?

Every sort of manual work which involves creativity is art. Music happens to be art and nowdays it's almost entirelly programmed, why programming AIs isn't?
Programming isn't art the same way math isn't art. Yes, it takes creativity, but it uses creativity to find clever solutions to problems, while visual arts is about expressing yourself.
If you feel like my definition isn't clear enough, I can clarify and switch art out with visual art. I'm seriously not trying to diminish your work and effort, but visual art is what I had in mind here.

EDIT: Or I suppose I could just let everybody submit something. I'll accept your submission c:

Programming isn't art the same way math isn't art. Yes, it takes creativity, but it uses creativity to find clever solutions to problems, while visual arts is about expressing yourself.
If you feel like my definition isn't clear enough, I can clarify and switch art out with visual art. I'm seriously not trying to diminish your work and effort, but visual art is what I had in mind here.
Programming can also be visual art. If what you want is actual drawings, then that's what you want to specify.

Last edited:
Programming can also be visual art. If what you want is simple drawings, then that's what you want to specify.
Yeah, it can. I edited the rules, you can use whatever medium ya wanna. Is that satisfactory? :dryadsmile:
Although I'd prefer if you didn't call drawing "simple" ;p

Reactions: W1K
Yeah, it can. I edited the rules, you can use whatever medium ya wanna. Is that satisfactory? :dryadsmile:
Although I'd prefer if you didn't call drawing "simple" ;p
Fix'd.

By "simple" I meant, drawings are commonly the most easily achievable kind of art as they require tools much more easy to come by, but in no way less skillful than any other. Changed so it doesn't sound like I'm undervaluing it.

Either way, chance is I'll look for someone who made any kind of mechanical boss sprite and ask them for their permission to use it, if they agree, I'll count it as a collab and in case of victory they get the prize, as I'm not entirely interested in it if I am forced to split it. If what's actually judged is the actual sprite, I don't deserve it more than the spriter. Of course, if I don't get lazy, and if I am allowed to in the first place.

Fix'd.

By "simple" I meant, drawings are commonly the most easily achievable kind of art as they require tools much more easy to come by, but in no way less skillful than any other. Changed so it doesn't sound like I'm undervaluing it.

Either way, chance is I'll look for someone who made any kind of mechanical boss sprite and ask them for their permission to use it, if they agree, I'll count it as a collab and in case of victory they get the prize, as I'm not entirely interested in it if I am forced to split it. If what's actually judged is the actual sprite, I don't deserve it more than the spriter. Of course, if I don't get lazy, and if I am allowed to in the first place.
I'm not going to be judging anything, so it's up to the people voting whether they think the sprite is more important or the AI ^^

Back
Top Bottom