Game Mechanics Modifers for Armor

I'd actually not mind modifiers on armour, but as some already pointed out, the game isn't balanced around this. If the bonuses would be very minor then I'd agree with this.

Some more examples:
Pocket Armour: 5% chance of not using a bullet/arrow. (3% for leggings, 2% for helmet, 10% max.)
Phase Armour: 1% chance of the enemy completely missing a hit. (3% when 3 pieces combined.)
Vampiric Armour: 2% chance of gaining hitpoints after a hit. (So no continuous lifeleech here. 1% for leggings, 1% for helmet, 4% max.)
Heavy Armour: When an enemy hits you, knockback distance is halved. 3 pieces: No knockback.
Light Armour: Jump a teeny little bit higher than normal. Increases with amount of armour pieces.
Magic Armour: Increased mana regeneration. Increased rate when wearing more pieces.
Smelly Armour: Slightly increased enemy spawn rate. Increased rate when wearing more pieces.
Perfumed Armour: Slightly decreased enemy spawn rate. Increased rate when wearing more pieces.

hmm. There are mods that add this already, like the avalon mod. but you are right, there should be armor modifiers in normal terraria. The problem is, that the devs dont really have enough time to look through all the suggestions, especially, if there are good suggestions, and not so good suggestions.

I think that armors should have minor modifiers. When armors will get full array of them, then overall difficulty should raise as well. In my opinion, the best solution should be modifiers with both drawbacks and advantages.
For example:
Plated [+3 defense] [-5% movement speed]
Ancient [-4% mana usage] [-2% damage]
and so on.

Last edited:
As others have pointed out, there are some serious game breaking possibilities with armor modifiers.

I don't think we need them. Modifiers should be for accessories and weapons only.

The reason I am opposed to this is a) you would be insanely op b) money, you would have to spend another two platinum just to get the modifier(s) you want.

I certainly wouldn't mind having some prefixes for armour.

The reason I am opposed to this is a) you would be insanely op b) money, you would have to spend another two platinum just to get the modifier(s) you want.
As to this...
  1. Either adding drawbacks to modifiers or tweaking enemy difficulty to take modifiers into account.
  2. No one is requiring you to have the best modifiers for everything. The game is completely playable with sub-optimal equipment. Any compulsion you feel to spend hours on end min-maxing is purely your own expression of OCD.

1. Either adding drawbacks to modifiers or tweaking enemy difficulty to take modifiers into account.

Then what's the point of them if the enemies scale with the modifiers? It'd essentially nullify the armor modifiers.

Then what's the point of them if the enemies scale with the modifiers? It'd essentially nullify the armor modifiers.
Tweaking them to take modifiers into account doesn't necessarily mean making the enemies keep pace. It just means making the armour have less of an effect. Also, you don't have to make the changes uniform across the board. Front-loading the tweaks, or delaying them for later on, would make the modifiers more valuable in the later or earlier game, respectively.

Tweaking them to take modifiers into account doesn't necessarily mean making the enemies keep pace. It just means making the armour have less of an effect. Also, you don't have to make the changes uniform across the board. Front-loading the tweaks, or delaying them for later on, would make the modifiers more valuable in the later or earlier game, respectively.
Then how about modifier variation based on the type of ARMOR, not enemies? That way a turtle armor player would be just as OP against a green slime as against a paladin.

Back
Top Bottom