Game Mechanics Modifers for Armor

Then how about modifier variation based on the type of ARMOR, not enemies? That way a turtle armor player would be just as OP against a green slime as against a paladin.
I think you're misunderstanding exactly what it is that I'm suggesting. I'm not saying that enemies should get a dynamic buff (e.g, more damage against players with trait X on their armour), but rather a series of static buffs (fixed stat changes in specific areas) to make their difficulty roughly the same against people with low to average buffs, and only easier to an acceptable margin against players with superior modifiers.

However, to be honest, I'm not even sure if it's necessary. I used to play quite often with a mod that added armour modifiers. I can't say that it made the game significantly easier in the early game (and it's worth remembering that you don't even have the option to reforge until you can get the goblin), and in the late game there's a pretty wide gap between the "easy enough already" and "frustrating without great gear" crowds. For the former, these modifiers probably wouldn't be much of a problem, but would serve as a useful gold sink. Meanwhile, for the latter, even basic modifiers might make things a bit more manageable.

No debuffs at all? I do not support.
How would these things be debuffed??? You cant have a negative defense value. You cant increase damage by a percentage. Reflection wouldnt even begin to work. And the opposite of regen is life loss. I dont see your concern.

How would these things be debuffed??? You cant have a negative defense value. You cant increase damage by a percentage. Reflection wouldnt even begin to work. And the opposite of regen is life loss. I dont see your concern.
Let me correct myself, bad modifiers like Shoddy and Terrible I believe are bad modifiers

Let me correct myself, bad modifiers like Shoddy and Terrible I believe are bad modifiers
Yes i know, but what im asking is how would any of these abilities work as negative? Take a look at what i have for mod attributes. Those dont work as bad ones. Think of accessories- there is no such thing as a bad accessory mod.

Yes i know, but what im asking is how would any of these abilities work as negative? Take a look at what i have for mod attributes. Those dont work as bad ones. Think of accessories- there is no such thing as a bad accessory mod.
There is no such thing as a bad accessory mod? Odd. Well I give up.

You could have penalties to other things, though. Movement or attack speed to represent bulky armour, for instance, would work. Another option might be tool/placement range penalties, or even jump height reduction. The penalties don't have to be the same as the bonuses to balance things out.

The penalties don't have to be the same as the bonuses to balance things out.
They kinda do. If not, they would be the only mods that differed on what was good and bad. Weapon mods have bad things that are the opposite of the good ones and nothing else.

They kinda do. If not, they would be the only mods that differed on what was good and bad. Weapon mods have bad things that are the opposite of the good ones and nothing else.
They have negative versions of the positive effects, yes. However, there is no modifier that has a penalty in the same stat as it has a bonus. So while unprecedented, there's technically no reason why penalties need to match up to possible bonuses. Furthermore, since modifiers don't work the same for accessories either, there's really no set-in-ston rule for how modifiers need to work, meaning that nothing says that armour couldn't follow a different set of rules from either of the others.

More to the point, though, you don't even need to go that far to justify it. Not every modifier has a negative equivalent. There is no modifier that gives negative critical strike, nor does any decrease maximum mana, either. So with a wider range of things for armour to affect, it's not inconsistent at all that some stats would only go up. From there, having other stats only go down isn't really a stretch, though a few of the things I mentioned would work as positive effects just as easily. (Another option, by the by, might be an equivalent to tool size modifiers that makes your sprite, and thus hitbox, larger in certain sets, though that might have issues, because of fixed door sizes.)

Finally, though, there's one last thing. Adding things like regeneration or thorns actually does seem out of place. Firstly because nothing else gives special abilities, and secondly because it takes away from the uniqueness of armours that get those properties innately. Also, it doesn't cover all the special effects armour can get. I'd change that out for a general modifier that affects the magnitude of an armour's special properties. So with thorns armour it changes how much damage is reflected, with regen armour it affects the regen speed (to a minimum and maximum amount), and for other things it would change their properties as well, like Necro Armour gaining a higher chance not to consume ammo. That, then, could have a negative version.

I dont know. . . Adding modifiers will make a lot of potions/armors/accessories useless. I think armor modifiers should give you something but take away something too.

For example :
+ 10% HP - 20% mana
- 10% Physical Damage + 10% Magic damage.
+ 5% Hp Regen / 5 - 5% Mp regen / 5

~TheFireroll

hope this isnt necro

Modifiers like this could be really good to differentitate between styles of play at the endgame armours (1.3). With one set for each 'class' (though vortex and solar are very interchangeable regardless of class, you lose some damage bonus but stealth or defences can be worth it for assassins and HW rangers) being able to focus on different stats would be epic.

examples:
Mad/Aggressive/Berserk
for +1.5/3/4.5% damage
Spikey/Thorny/Vengeful
for 1.8/3.6/5.4% thorn reflection
Solid/Strong/Epic
for +1/2/3 defence
Fast/Evasive/Elusive
+2.6/5.2/7.8% movement speed and jump/fly height
Herbal/Medical/Surgical
+3/6/9% healing (regen (inc. buff/accessory) and potions) (also Vampire knives, that lifesteal spell, and spectre buff)
Living/Regenerating/Growing
+2/4/6 hp/second (for reference you get 40/second with shiny stone)
Crimson/Vampire/Turtle
+5/10/15 hp
Sane/Blessed/Holy
+2/4/6% mana regen
Crazy/Disturbing/Corrupt
+2/4/6% magic and summon damage
Warriour's/Ranger's/Sorcerer's/Summoner's/Avenger
note: these do not have levels
+4% (type damage) + 4% (defence/speed/mana-regen/max minions(triple to 12% here)
except avenger: +3% damage, defence, speed, mana-regen and 9% max minions

(minions example: using buffs and items, lets say you can have 5 summons, and get +33% max minions from an avenger and two summoner armour prefixes; 5*1.33 is roughly 6.66 rounding to 7, for two more max minions. nearly useless at game start; deadly at the top)

I tried to make these fit the game as it currently is, be balanced and fun, without taking nsmes already in use

plus... cosmetic! sparkly, glittery, confetti, sparking, burning etc

I'd add in "bad" mods like Weapons can get (if you random reforge stuff the same way with the Tinkerer)

Although I still think individual mods per item should be a thing, with no option to stack the same ones

I know this is kind of a necro to this thread but armor modifiers are something i'd like to see, but what you're recommending is incredibly OP. Here are some of my nerfs:

Defense
  • Mailed - +1 Armor​
  • Refined - +2 Armor​
  • Plated - +3 Armor and 1% Damage Reduction​
Stat Based
  • Arcane - +20 Mana
  • Enchanted - +3 Mana Regen
  • Healthy - +0.25 Regen
  • Vigorous - +0.5 Regen
  • Spiked - +5% Thorns Effect

I know this is kind of a necro to this thread but armor modifiers are something i'd like to see, but what you're recommending is incredibly OP. Here are some of my nerfs:

Defense
  • Mailed - +1 Armor​
  • Refined - +2 Armor​
  • Plated - +3 Armor and 1% Damage Reduction​
Stat Based
  • Arcane - +20 Mana
  • Enchanted - +3 Mana Regen
  • Healthy - +0.25 Regen
  • Vigorous - +0.5 Regen
  • Spiked - +5% Thorns Effect
Mana has nothing to do with armor.

Also, why are you replying to a dead thread?

Mana has nothing to do with armor.
Mage armors tend to give bonuses to max Mana. It's totally in line. Much less opportunity cost to putting Mana on your armor than on your accessories as well.. but the suggested Mana Regen would beat it out every time, I'd say.
Also, why are you replying to a dead thread?
There are no rules against replying to "dead" threads on this forum as long as the post contributes to the discussion in some way, and personally I'm happy to have seen this thread - it's something I didn't know I'd have wanted until reading the OP.

But were talking about pure armor related stats, such as defense. Mana is related to mage weapons.

Last edited:
Bonus Mana is effectively an armor stat as armors grant it even in PHM.

It is also granted by Hardmode Ore armors on the Mage headpieces as well as on dedicated Mage armors later into Hardmode.

There is nothing wrong with the concept of being able to reforge your armor for extra Mana if you so desired it.
I kinda misspoke. What I meant is that it's a bit random to throw in mana. With that logic, you could throw in melee speed, damage increase, and several other things that have nothing to do with armor.

Back
Top Bottom