Journey's End 1.4.4: Balance Feedback and Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen some stuff about the early game summoner complaints, and I had an idea. What if for early game summoner we had an Armour set like the wizard hat and gem robes. Make it so that we only receive defense from the leg slot but in return have a set bonus that gives +1 minion. I feel this fits with summoners being the defensively weakest class and also would be too much of a drawback for any other class to bother with.
Just a thought from a summoner who sucks at the game.

Last edited:
@Leinfors
index.php

Will anything be done about this? in the new patch, a "contingency" was made for stone slab getting changed in how it fuses with blocks where it didn't before but no such thing has been done for sandstone slab. It fuses with blocks.

It's frustrating enough to have to change all my stone slabs to accent but it's all for nothing if there's no sandstone accent as well.

If there are no plans to change it, let us know so some closure can be reached.

Last edited:
Accent Slab was, AFAIK, a one time concession. I don't see plans to make additional/large quantities of accent slab variants.

Accent Slab was, AFAIK, a one time concession. I don't see plans to make additional/large quantities of accent slab variants.
Any change on axes getting the ability to "cut" blocks to stop forced stitching of blocks? Honestly, I find the stitching to look quite.. bad. Makes builds like the one above appear very flat, since the usage of the black lines can help give a build some depth. Makes it pop more, but without, the structure looks entirely 2D with any illusion of 2.5D gone.

Dirt blending with wood and stone is fine because there are unique blended tiles for them (stone and wood with bits of dirt within the same tile), but these forced stitched blocks don't have that. It makes the game look rigid and flat to me, but since I don't see this going away, a new axe on block function to split blocks apart would be absolutely amazing, like hammering blocks.

Here's a crude example I drew up awhile ago:

pKQGRmT.png

Also as for Night's Edge and Hardmode ore swords, you have to put more effort making the Night's Edge. You can either go through the process of making all four swords, or you skip and mine up enough ore for one sword. Night's Edge being better than Cobalt/Palladium seems fine to me, along with being on par with Mythril/Orichalcum. Cobalt/Palladium is quicker and easier to make.

I know what you are trying to say but this is something that we are unable to support within Terraria's current system. It is simple to explain, but its not simple to implement, I suspect it would take months of QAing and bug fixing just for that one feature.

-Thanks. It's been a fun 7 years of terraria, but I'm done.

-I'll leave this as a final bit of feedback;

Since the introduction of slab blocks, the way they behaved when placed next to other blocks was the same for 7 Major patches until 1.4

Changing the way they behave now out of the blue was a step in the wrong direction. Changing how a building block behaved for literal years when builders have had either established projects or current W.I.P's that took advantage of this mechanic wasn't a sensible thing to do.

-Being able to salvage a build that took advantage of the past mechanics of slab bricks in stone slab is a solution, albeit a very inconvenient one.

But it's a solution none the less.

That can be managed, it's a tedious task, but can be managed.

-However, having no such option for sandstone slab by making a sandstone slab accent to restore the status quo isn't a good decision.

-I hope in terraria 2, something like this won't happen again for the sake of dedicated builders. What's done is done.

Thanks Leinfors for your honesty and the closure about not adding a sandstone slab accent. Now I won't have to wonder and hope.

Last edited:
Yo I know we talked about this already but, can we expect a debuff buff(in the form of removing enemy immunities) to cursed inferno in the future?

I've heard lots of people say that defense is a useless stat in master mode, so here's a thought experiment:

What if instead of granting +X defense, accessory modifiers instead granted a +X% reduction in damage taken? Would that make a defensive approach worth considering? Warding would grant +3%, Armored would grant +2%, Guarding would grant +1%, and Hard would be removed.

I've heard lots of people say that defense is a useless stat in master mode, so here's a thought experiment:

What if instead of granting +X defense, accessory modifiers instead granted a +X% reduction in damage taken? Would that make a defensive approach worth considering? Warding would grant +3%, Armored would grant +2%, Guarding would grant +1%, and Hard would be removed.
percentage would only be good if you have over 100 defense.

Yo I know we talked about this already but, can we expect a debuff buff(in the form of removing enemy immunities) to cursed inferno in the future?

As indicated earlier, I'm not prepared to tackle actual balance change adjustments due to higher priorities in the post-launch bug things in the short term. I'm considering closing this thread for the time being due to it giving false impressions of an immediate resolution, as the majority of such balance changes are far off (weeks/months).

All final decisions on ANY changes are something I'm going to have to substantially review and receive formal approval for, so I can't make any promises, nor would I want to do so until I've had a chance to do a formal review.

As indicated earlier, I'm not prepared to tackle actual balance change adjustments due to higher priorities in the post-launch bug things in the short term. I'm considering closing this thread for the time being due to it giving false impressions of an immediate resolution, as the majority of such balance changes are far off (weeks/months).

All final decisions on ANY changes are something I'm going to have to substantially review and receive formal approval for, so I can't make any promises, nor would I want to do so until I've had a chance to do a formal review.
Would you consider reopening this thread when all major post launch bugs have been fixed?

I have a proposal, then. Something that stands out a lot between hardmode and pre-hardmode is defense. Enemies have way more defense in hardmode - though this is not universal. The transition between hardmode defense and pre-hardmode defense is rather large across the board. If the Night's Edge had some additional damaging debuff or special effect that dealt additional damage to enemies with less defense - then it could be very useful in pre-hardmode, but not very useful in hardmode when enemy defenses are much higher.

Or we can look at it the other way. We can simply make breaker blade apply something like broken armor debuff, so it is more effective to high defense enemies.

I have a handful of balance suggestions:

I'd like for the Flower Boots nerf to be undone. An easy way to farm bugs isn’t overpowered, especially after the fishing ores nerf.

The Super Star Shooter should have a crafting recipe as it's more intuitive, or at least make it appear from the Traveling Merchant more often to make it easier to acquire.

A net that combines the strengths of the Lavaproof Bug Net and the Golden Bug Net would be nice so that you would only have to carry around one net to catch everything.

Buff meteorite equipment because it’s arguably inferior to demonite/crimtane equipment, which can be obtained sooner, or make it so that you can get it by breaking Shadow Orbs/Crimson Hearts again while also keeping having meteorites spawn from defeating eater/brain. Also, it would be nice if meteorite could be mined with explosives again because not being able to do that seems artificially restrictive.

A Zenith-equivalent weapons for other classes would be nice because the zenith is easily the best weapon in the game and shouldn’t be nerfed due to how difficult it is to craft, but other classes don’t have an equivalent to it.

Enchanted shrines should be more common (especially since it’s now necessary to craft Zenith). It doesn’t matter if a weapon is now guaranteed from a shrine if you can’t find said shrine in the first place.

I know this is an old problem, but corruption/crimson shouldn’t be on top of the jungle due to worldgen. It’s honestly a big enough deal to warrant creating a new world if that happens to you

I don’t know if this is being worked on, but having a Steam achievement for every in-game achievement that doesn’t already have one (like the one for breaking into the lizard temple) would be nice.

Having the unobtainable luminite tools would be cool, and I don’t see a reason to not include them.

Having strange plants only spawn in hardmode is a weird decision. When was getting special dyes at the start of the game overpowered? If it was meant to further differentiate hardmode from the early game, I still think it’s kinda pointless because hardmode was already pretty different from the early game

Having a mushroom crate would be nice for the sake of completion, especially since mushroom biomes are now large enough to justify one.

Night’s Edge could use a buff because it’s inferior to the Fiery Greatsword in most situations despite the Fiery Greatsword being an ingredient used to craft Night’s Edge.

Firecracker special effect doesn't work against the Destroyer, and I'm pretty sure summon tag damage also does not work against the Destroyer. This is probably a side effect of the Destroyer's universal debuff immunity, but surely debuff immunity wasn't supposed to cause this to happen?

A lot of enemies are currently immune to debuffs they shouldn't. Pretty much any enemy that has universal immunity is immune to debuffs they shouldn't, including Ghosts, Goblin Summoners, and half the Pumpkin Moon enemies. It means they're immune to taking damage from the Star Cell's effect (they visually stick but don't deal damage), and presumably also effects like Midas and Dryad's Bane that nothing should have immunity to.

I also feel that, for an effect inflicted by so few items and weapons, too many enemies are immune to Confused. Over 70% of enemies are immune to Confused, according to the Wiki. Including weak insects found in the cavern layer that really don't need the immunity. There's a lot of inconsistency in which enemies are immune – most flyers are (Vultures, Hornets, Harpies, Ravens), but some aren't (Demon Eyes, Parrots, Alien Hornets). All swimming enemies are also immune. Personally, I think enemies should only be immune to Confused if there's a good reason for it – if they're bosses or elite enemies that are meant to be "unstoppable", if there's a valid thematic reason (enemy doesn't have a brain, like Meteor Heads), or the enemy's mechanics dictate it (worms). For an effect as niche and uncommon as it is, over half the game's enemies shouldn't be immune to it; it should be balanced around the assumption that most things are susceptible to it. This is the reason why the Brain of Confusion was underpowered for so long; it had to have mechanics not related to Confused added before it became worthwhile.

There are also quite a few enemies meant to be mechanical or non-biological (including Scarecrows, Elf Copters, Nutcrackers, and Tesla Turrets) that are currently susceptible to Poison/Venom. (Queen Bee is also susceptible, when all other Jungle insects have immunity to it.) And there are some enemies (Snow Flinxes, Elf Archers, most Pirate Invasion enemies) that don't need the immunity, or don't have a thematic reason for having it.

I have already spoken on how few ice-themed enemies (and enemies in general) have immunity to Frostburn.

Also, it would be really excellent if the Sandstone Slab could be given an accented variant; it only makes sense that both slabs receive variants. After all, the change was only made to these two blocks (I assume). Adding new items is beyond the purview of this thread, but I hope the possibility is at least considered in future.

Last edited:
A lot of enemies are currently immune to debuffs they shouldn't. Pretty much any enemy that has universal immunity is immune to debuffs they shouldn't, including Ghosts and half the Pumpkin Moon enemies. It means they're immune to taking damage from the Star Cell's effect (they visually stick but don't deal damage), and presumably also effects like Midas and Dryad's Bane that nothing should have immunity to.

I also feel that, for an effect inflicted by so few items and weapons, too many enemies are immune to Confused. Over 70% of enemies are immune to Confused, according to the Wiki. Including weak insects found in the cavern layer that really don't need the immunity. There's a lot of inconsistency in which enemies are immune – most flyers are (Vultures, Hornets, Harpies), but some aren't (Demon Eyes, Parrots, Alien Hornets). All swimming enemies are also immune. Personally, I think enemies should only be immune to Confused if there's a good reason for it – if they're bosses or elite enemies that are meant to be "unstoppable", if there's a valid thematic reason (enemy doesn't have a brain, like Meteor Heads), or the enemy's mechanics dictate it (worms). For an effect as niche and uncommon as it is, over half the game's enemies shouldn't be immune to it; it should be balanced around the assumption that most things are susceptible to it. This is the reason why the Brain of Confusion was underpowered for so long; it had to have mechanics not related to Confused added before it became worthwhile.

There are also quite a few enemies meant to be mechanical or non-biological (including Scarecrows, Elf Copters, Nutcrackers, and Tesla Turrets) that are currently susceptible to Poison/Venom.

Also, it would be really excellent if the Sandstone Slab could be given an accented variant; it only makes sense that both slabs receive variants. After all, the change was only made to these two blocks (I assume). Adding new items is beyond the purview of this thread, but I hope the possibility is at least considered in future.
Yeah, adding an accented sandstone slab variant seems like the best solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom