World corrupted (the bad kind)

waanzinkat

Terrarian
I was recently playing a game of terraria on my computer
when i decided that it was enough for the day, i saved exited and left.

Now when i tried to acces my character again, the name was coloured red.
I was unable to click my character. I made a seperate character and tried to
load my normal world which caused my computer to crash.
This has happened to me twice before, can anyone help me with how I can
stop this from happening and how to acces my lost world(s)?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    408.1 KB · Views: 9,050
I have a method you could try:
Go to:
C:\Users\UserName\Documents\My Games\Terraria\Players
And find the corrupted character file, for example: Terrarian.plr
Back up the character file, just in case, then delete it
Then find the .plr.bak file of your corrupted character, for example: Terrarian.plr.bak
And rename it so the extension is just .plr, for example: Terrarian.plr.bak ---> Terrarian.plr

That should fix the character.

For the world, it's the same process
Go to:
C:\Users\UserName\Documents\My Games\Terraria\Worlds
And find the corrupted world file, for example: World.wld
Back up the world file, just in case, then delete it
Then find the .wld.bak file of your corrupted world, for example: World.wld.bak
And rename it so the extension is just .wld, for example: Terrarian.wld.bak ---> Terrarian.wld

And that should fix the world.

That's all I can think of for fixing corrupted Terraria files, I'm not too sure if it will work, but give it a try and backup any files you delete.

This happened to me once. I just closed Terraria and opened it again and it was fixed. Something a lot worse happened to me though...

I made a seperate character and tried to
load my normal world which caused my computer to crash.
This isn't supposed to happen at all.

Have you been downloading any suspicious files?
Is your computer warm?
This problem can very from hardware damage to unusual system damage.
Try verifying the game's cache too.

haven't downloaded anything, i've got the pc version of the game less than a week and have the most recent version of windows 8
[DOUBLEPOST=1419436565][/DOUBLEPOST]do you have any idea maybe, what could have caused it except for downloads?

what could have caused it except for downloads?
Don't double post please, there's an edit button right below each post of yours.

If it's a new PC, you might have troubles related to out-dated/badly downloaded updates and essentials.
It's a phase, try redownloading Framework and check for updates everywhere.
Don't guarantee that this works, but I'll think up more fixes.

framework what?
i'm quite a computer noob, could you please explain further? i decided to delete the world and character as for nothing was working but i'd like to stop it from happening again?

framework what?
i'm quite a computer noob, could you please explain further? i decided to delete the world and character as for nothing was working but i'd like to stop it from happening again?
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30653
Terraria supposedly needs this to run, though it often happens that it downloads badly (due to Internet connection hiccup or otherwise)
It might also be a driver issue, what graphics card do you have? Also, do you have a laptop or a tower PC?

how can i re-install it on steam, i'm also new with steam too.
i put all the information i have in the pic.
[DOUBLEPOST=1419449499][/DOUBLEPOST]and what does Framework do?

Attachments

• terraria 2.png
    terraria 2.png
    116.9 KB · Views: 1,558
Through steam, right click on the game and select properties.
From there you go to local files, you can delete your game from there and reinstall it but I suggest verifying game cache, it's basically the same thing except it just scans for files that aren't correctly installed.

Framework is uh, well, a framework. It's a background program of some sort, think of it as like adobe Flash or direct X, it's just some sort of pile of needed code for stuff to work.

Here's a suggestion I posted to another guy who has a probably dying PC.
"Gotta go away, it's getting a lil' late.
Tell you what, if you feel adventurous, try opening up the local game files in the steam folder.
From there, cut the entire Terraria folder and place it somewhere else.
Try launching it via steam, it should download a fresh game installation. Your player and world info is located elsewhere in your PC. Try launching it"
If it fails, something's wrong with your PC, hardware or software.

Last edited:
i tried the validating, one file didnt succeed i hope it was that one. The files should be corrected now so i hope thhe problem is solved
thanks for all your help, its really nice ^_^

I have the same problem, my charactor's name is in red !, also my world has - in the name ! Please help ! Please help me ! I take away the .bak but still the world is courrupted ! Also my charactor which is called jason has .bad not bak. Please I need help desperately !

I have the same problem, my charactor's name is in red !, also my world has - in the name ! Please help ! Please help me ! I take away the .bak but still the world is courrupted ! Also my charactor which is called jason has .bad not bak. Please I need desperately !

There is no solution to fixing this, you can attempt to load your world with TEdit, but other than that its gone for good. Please be reminded to avoid using third party softwares when playing Terraria to ensure you do not get corruptions:
- Don't use other programs while playing Terraria
- Don't use hacks, tools, mods, trainers, cheat engine, etc
- Don't use notepad or other programs to edit text related features.
- Don't use or run of the same client.

I fixed my world ! This is the way I did it, you go to my games-Terraria- world and then your delete the world file which has not got .bak and then you delete .bak from it, for charector however my one has .bad after it and I still don't know how to fix it.

This has happened to me about 3-5 times. There seems to be no way to fix it; but I think I can explain why it happened.

If you exited the game too quick after exiting and saving, your game was closed while the game was saving, causing a corruption. If you didn't do this, I have no idea what happened.

Back
Top Bottom