Official Terraria: Otherworld

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the gameplay similar to Terraria but with a different art style and more privileges? o_O

I'm not sure about this yet...
I really want to see a boss in this, though. ;)
[DOUBLEPOST=1424309724][/DOUBLEPOST]Aren't you working on Terraria 1.3? Work on one thing at a time, Relogic. :p

We don't know anything about the bosses in THIS game though.

For all we know, the final boss could be Azathoth. Makes Cthulhu look like a pre-school toddler.

Well... in that case, let's just start running thru the whole lineup of great old ones.... I personally can't wait to fight a "color out of space" or the Masquerade event where you fight hordes of king in yellow cultists. Then to fight Dagon andCthulhu you have to unlock the "Deep Water" where the oceans get way longer, and join to each other. In the Deepwater is an underwater dungeon for Dagon, and an island that only appears when special events are happening(blood moon, lunar eclipse, solar eclipse, but not the event summon items). Then we have to build gates to various dimensions to go get the bosses that don't travel well. THEN we just start taking damage till we die, because we've pissed off Azathoth, and the spawn time gets longer and longer until minutes are passing between spawns, and your equipment and stats are changed, you gain and loose gear, the NPC's act differently, and say different things. Then after a few hundred or so deaths, it stops, the NPC's revert to normal, the gear stays(possibly can't be removed) but the font on the new gear is unreadable using any of it has a slim chance of summoning the various body parts of cthulhu. BUT, the next time you die the character is deleted. The name, and setup of the character is saved, and the character can be randomly spawned in "great old one events" and drops a twisted version of a piece of gear he had on him.

Hey guys of this fantastic forum! I am starting a new page where I write speculations and theories about updates and now, Terraria Other-world, and I was looking for any good facts or solid ideas about the new game.

Interesting. Kinda looks like Starbound's and Terraria's feel had a baby. I'm looking forward to updates about this game.

Interesting. Kinda looks like Starbound's and Terraria's feel had a baby. I'm looking forward to updates about this game.
I sstill haven't received a proper explanation for how it looks/feelss/seems like Sstarbound. The gameplay looks far more like Terraria, and the sprites are clearly outline-free and of a vastly different color palette.

I sstill haven't received a proper explanation for how it looks/feelss/seems like Sstarbound. The gameplay looks far more like Terraria, and the sprites are clearly outline-free and of a vastly different color palette.
Meh. It just looked slightly like it.

Wonder if the game will feature enemies that have actual attacks instead of mostly enemies that try to occupy your space. Would be cool to see some shields and other defensive abilities as well. Could make combat a lot more varied.

All I can say is...why? Would focusing all efforts to create one polished game not be a better idea? Now efforts will be split between Terraia, Terraria OW, and Terraria 2. Speaking of which, why is any sort of sequel/spinoff necessary? Rewrite some engine if it poses limitations, change the art-style to the nasty Starbound-looking theme if you must, but why does that warrant a new game? Even if you wanted questing (or whatever will distinguish this from Vanilla), can't that just be a new game mode or optional feature you can just not use if you don't want it in Vanilla?

I know this is pre-alpha, but Terraria OW will certainly not be receiving my money. It just seems unnecessary in many respects, with a much less attractive art-style to top it all off. No thanks, Re-Logic. I'll stick with the perfectly fine game that we already know and love.

All I can say is...why? Would focusing all efforts to create one polished game not be a better idea? Now efforts will be split between Terraia, Terraria OW, and Terraria 2. Speaking of which, why is any sort of sequel/spinoff necessary? Rewrite some engine if it poses limitations, change the art-style to the nasty Starbound-looking theme if you must, but why does that warrant a new game? Even if you wanted questing (or whatever will distinguish this from Vanilla), can't that just be a new game mode or optional feature you can just not use if you don't want it in Vanilla?

I know this is pre-alpha, but Terraria OW will certainly not be receiving my money. It just seems unnecessary in many respects, with a much less attractive art-style to top it all off. No thanks, Re-Logic. I'll stick with the perfectly fine game that we already know and love.
T2 has not been worked on at all yet, and Terraria and Terraria: Otherworld have separate dev teams.

*conductor voice* ALL ABOARD THE HYPE TRAIN! THE HYPE TRAIN CURRENTLY LEADS TO :red:-YEAH-VILLE!

*chugga chugga choo choo*

You do know that they can't keep updating terraria forever, right?

Last edited:

It was already stated that nobody working on 1.3 is working on this, and Terraria 2's development hasn't even started yet. Also, the only similarity between this and Starbound is detailed bark on trees. It also seems kind of lame to decide that you're not going to buy a game you know hardly anything about. You have no idea what the end result may be. Maybe something greater than the first Terraria.

T2 has not been worked on at all yet, and Terraria and Terraria: Otherworld have separate dev teams.

I am aware.

You do know that they can't keep updating terraria forever, right?

Why not? They can do whatever they want to the game, but why make it a whole new game? What's wrong with a large update?

It was already stated that nobody working on 1.3 is working on this, and Terraria 2's development hasn't even started yet. Also, the only similarity between this and Starbound is detailed bark on trees. It also seems kind of lame to decide that you're not going to buy a game you know hardly anything about. You have no idea what the end result may be. Maybe something greater than the first Terraria.

Maybe it will turn out great, and I'm not against that. My questions remains though. Why? Why couldn't they have added all this new stuff to the original Terraria instead of starting a whole new game? Also you mention that no one from 1.3 is working on this. Well if there was no plan for Terraria OW, those devs would be able to work on Vanilla or Terraria 2 (which I don't think is necessary either).

Maybe I'll change my mind as more info comes out, but as of now (yes I know this is pre-alpha), I'm not a fan of the art-style, so much so that it would put me off from buying the game entirely. Also, I just don't see why all this new content couldn't have been added to Vanilla. If some physics engine or whatever poses limitations, fix it. If they want to add a new game style/mode, go for it. Just don't make a whole game very similar to the original but with new objectives. I don't wanna accuse the devs of anything they aren't guilty of, but to me it seems very profit-motivated. Change the look, add some new stuff, add motivation (?) for cleansing the world. Boom, new game. I'm sure that's not the reason this, but I have reasons to be suspicious (remember the whole only-developing-Terraria-for-the-profits drama that came up after 1.1?). I'll say it again, because I know someone will try to accuse me of not saying this. I highly doubt money is the motivation behind creating this, but I wouldn't go full dogmatic fanboy either.

In the end, I just think this (along with Terraria 2) is just unnecessary. Don't have anything against changing game mechanics or art-style. I just don't see the point.

Maybe it will turn out great, and I'm not against that. My questions remains though. Why? Why couldn't they have added all this new stuff to the original Terraria instead of starting a whole new game? Also you mention that no one from 1.3 is working on this. Well if there was no plan for Terraria OW, those devs would be able to work on Vanilla or Terraria 2 (which I don't think is necessary either).

Maybe I'll change my mind as more info comes out, but as of now (yes I know this is pre-alpha), I'm not a fan of the art-style, so much so that it would put me off from buying the game entirely. Also, I just don't see why all this new content couldn't have been added to Vanilla. If some physics engine or whatever poses limitations, fix it. If they want to add a new game style/mode, go for it. Just don't make a whole game very similar to the original but with new objectives. I don't wanna accuse the devs of anything they aren't guilty of, but to me it seems very profit-motivated. Change the look, add some new stuff, add motivation (?) for cleansing the world. Boom, new game. I'm sure that's not the reason this, but I have reasons to be suspicious (remember the whole only-developing-Terraria-for-the-profits drama that came up after 1.1?). I'll say it again, because I know someone will try to accuse me of not saying this. I highly doubt money is the motivation behind creating this, but I wouldn't go full dogmatic fanboy either.

In the end, I just think this (and Terraria 2) is unnecessary. Don't have anything against changing game mechanics or art-style (not against changing it, but I am against changing it to the current state); I just don't see the point.
It's not as simple as "fixing" an engine; essentially, an entirely new game has been written from scratch. Terraria at it's outset was far smaller than it is today and Red was not as experienced at programming and didn't have a team like now to work on it. The fundamental limitations of the Terraria engine mean that to "just change it" would really require an entirely new game. This game has been stated to use a new engine and have different focuses than the original. Now, had they kept the original engine, then I would be worried. As it is, though, Terraria's engine is nearing it's capacity. I've modded the game and looked through how it works, and writing a new engine for a new game is definitely the best way for them to go.

Sorry if this is slightly incoherent, it's difficult to organize thoughts on mobile. Hope this cleared some things up!

In the end, I just think this (along with Terraria 2) is just unnecessary. Don't have anything against changing game mechanics or art-style. I just don't see the point.
The point is progress, they can't keep updating the old game because of how limited it is. Why would they try so hard to work around the limitations of the old game when they can just move on and be free to do more with a new game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom