Game Mechanics Spectre Hood: Losing lifesteal for a new effect

Snickerbobble

The Painter
The Spectre Hood

Introduced in 1.2, the Spectre Armor was easily the most powerful armor in the game. It gave increased damage stats along with a lifesteal mechanic, which effectively made mages immortal, as long as they had mana. Update after update, it has received nerfs along with a mask variant beside it which was more focused on damage, with the hood focused on self (and team) healing. However, a 40% damage decrease was slapped onto it. While it is definitely more balanced than originally introduced, I feel the hood along with its set bonus can be improved. Lifesteal has been a controversial subject, so here's my take on what the Spectre Hood could be:

Current Spectre said:
latest

Spectre Hood
40% decreased magic damage
6 defense
Set bonus: 20% of damage dealt is healed the nearest player with the least health, capping at 2 hearts a second, with 4 or less damage causing no heal

This is what the current stats and set bonus for the Spectre Hood are. Keep in mind that to a new player, pre-craft, the set bonus is unknown, so with a low 6 defense and 40% negative damage, a new player will likely not pick this at first when there is the significantly more tempting Spectre Mask to pick from.

Now, this is how I feel the Spectre Hood could be, remaining as team assisting armor and becoming more appealing to a new player:

Suggested change said:
latest

Spectre Hood
Increases maximum mana by 40 and reduces mana usage by 18%
10% increased movement speed
12 defense
Set bonus: Attacking enemies powers up your team

Now the Hood appears about as appealing to craft compared to the Mask. What makes the hood most interesting is its new set bonus. Damage done to enemies will cause orbs to fly out to either you or a team mate which increase the effect of armor set bonuses. Each orb will power up your friends by 5%, with other hood users and yourself receiving a 2% movement speed increase. Powering up caps at 100%, or 40% for hood users and the user. Every second, 10% of power-up is lost, or 4% of movement speed, so to keep you and your friends charged up, you need to keep attacking. Here are examples of how your friends will be effected at 100% extra power:

Spectre Hood: 40% increased movement speed (as its set bonus can't be powered up really. Mages are squishy, so the movement speed helps with dodging)
Spectre Mask: Damage orbs are twice as powerful
Shroomite: Full cloaking takes half as much time and allows minor movement without losing cloaking
Turtle: Double damage returned, half damage taken
Beetle: Both buffs stack up to 6
Chlorophyte: Leaf crystal does double damage, slight homing and faster shots
Titanium: Invincibility lasts twice as long
Orichalcum: Double damage petals
Palladium: Double healing
Everything else: Pretty much just double the set bonus stats of the other armors
Mixed Sets: Mixed sets don't have set bonuses, so they will receive increases to movement speed like the Spectre Hood.

Ontop of all this, all buff potions the Spectre Hood user drinks are also given to team members.

Quite a lot to explain, but its set bonus description sums it up nicely: "Attacking enemies powers up your team."

With these changes, Spectre Hood's set would be a unique team supporting armor, without the controversy of lifesteal. With lifesteal, the spectre user basically becomes immortal, and is only most effected in the moon events where they don't get as far. With the powering up ability, the spectre user will need to rely on skill to survive and will provide helpful buffs to other players (or themself if alone).

That's how I would solve the Spectre issue of a magic armor crippling a magic stat. The main idea here is the power-up mechanic, so the other stats are up for change. What do you think?

''mages are immortal'' inst completely correct. something ive noticed is that endgame weapons have 1 main projectile and some sub-projectiles, like the bubble gun. sometimes when using the bubblegun i notice how im not being healed constantly. only a few times, much health per time tho.

but since a lot of people play singleplayer a lot (due to bad connection or just not able to in other ways) this would make it power up you only, making it not so good. but thats where the mask comes in, so that single player ppl can get the higher damage instead of a small buff. but one question is: since mage and melee have had lifesteal, now melee will be the only with lifesteal. will mage get lifesteal back in a different way? other than that, maybe support.

I think this is an awesome idea. This power-up would be pretty sick if you have a big team to play with. Speaking of teams: what if the buff only applies to people in the same team as yourself? If I'm in the red team I sure as heck wouldn't want to power up people in the blue team during pvp (that is, if the effect is triggered by damaging other players).

As for what @MegaMage314 said regarding some people still wanting lifesteal: if you really want it so badly, then stop being so nitpicky and use the Vampire Knives.

if you really want it so badly, then stop being so nitpicky and use the Vampire Knives.
Or, we can just introduce another headgear and keep the hood. Besides, if you have a mage loadout it's easier to reach the heart/sec cap by changing the headgear rather than using a weapon that can barely heal you because you don't have enough damage bonuses with that damage type.

I think it could also provide a thing when you deal a certain amount of damage in a certain time, a floating spectre orb orbits you and smashes into enemies dealing 75% of the actual enemies damage. It could take 3 attacks to destroy at max, and would have a tiered buff system e.g tier 1 when you deal more than 1k dmg in 10 secs, then 1.5k/10secs and finally at 2k/10 secs, and multiplayer with 2 players who have a hood allow for an extra orb at tier 3, but these orbs can only attack 2 times. Just a thought.

Great suggestion by the way, mages are for ownage not self-preservation!

nope. unacceptable. spectre is fine as it is. no support for this.

spectre hood can heal team mates, which is a bit more valuable than boosting stats
(if you want better mobility, use master ninja gear or the hoverboard. i've tried and tested these and they work perfectly)

Which leaves mellee the tanks class with lifesteal the way it is meant to be if Rangers don't get it so support

The problem with this is that spectre is not a "team" armor. The spectre hood is meant to give mages some survivability, whilst sacrificing their offense. It might help your teammates, but it's not just a team armor. I can tell the suggestion is well thought out, and I honestly am not a fan of lifesteal, but the spectre hood needs to be useful in singleplayer too. 50% extra movement speed doesn't mean anything when you're being pounded on all fronts by enemy projectiles.

mages need to keep their survival factor in end game. as for "ranger support" i think they really need something that gives them horrifying regen (the good kind) or life steal. that's just my opinion though

I like this. The fact you gain so much movement speed is a very valuable thing to have as a mage. And, lifesteal should be reserved for the melee people-The tanks.

Having a 'team' armour would also be nice. I don't see the current spectre hood as a 'team' armour.
It's a unique concept, and a way for the mages to have a powerful effect while not having life-steal.

Support!

Hmm... have you concidered that most people play on single player and this makes hood practically useless? or if it buffs yourself then gg, you get super god damage.
Reasoning : If you give your teammates buffed stats, it has to be somewhat noticeable right? so if you use it on yourself...... death for all... ALSO, if the buff has a high-ish length you could just switch to the different helmet and boom, damage beyond belief.
Also if 40% less damage is the tradeoff for superheal then I barely notice it.... Magic power + 5 menacing = no debuff at all

Uhhh... most people play single player.... and uhhh... well.... if you just buff yourself, turn on time stop, switch to mask, and now your dealing double damage..... yeh..... it's not going to work this way

pretty much as it stands, the only intelligent thing to do would be to stop beating the dead horse and leave the mage lifesteal alone. trading lifesteal for additional DPS is basically the dumbest thing anyone has ever said. i think we've pretty much made our point here. most people play single player and need to actually keep that fact in mind instead of being arrogant when making suggestions.

The problem with this is that spectre is not a "team" armor. The spectre hood is meant to give mages some survivability, whilst sacrificing their offense. It might help your teammates, but it's not just a team armor. I can tell the suggestion is well thought out, and I honestly am not a fan of lifesteal, but the spectre hood needs to be useful in singleplayer too. 50% extra movement speed doesn't mean anything when you're being pounded on all fronts by enemy projectiles.
That means you need to stop tanking. Get out of there and dodge the attacks. Lifesteal currently allows mages to tank, something usually left for melee players to do. I'm looking at the whole game here, not just the moon events, by the way. The events themselves could use an overhaul, but that's for a different topic.

Hmm... have you concidered that most people play on single player and this makes hood practically useless? or if it buffs yourself then gg, you get super god damage.
Reasoning : If you give your teammates buffed stats, it has to be somewhat noticeable right? so if you use it on yourself...... death for all... ALSO, if the buff has a high-ish length you could just switch to the different helmet and boom, damage beyond belief.
Also if 40% less damage is the tradeoff for superheal then I barely notice it.... Magic power + 5 menacing = no debuff at all
It does buff yourself with additional movement speed. Quite a lot, actually, where it becomes noticeable. It's not any more deadly than the current hood. If you take less damage, the longer you survive to deal damage and buff others.

40% less damage is only half way canceled out with menacing's 20%. So it is noticeable even then, but then if you compare to the mask (or even any other non-spectre helmet), you'll be at +20% damage rather than -20% damage. An attack with base 50 would become 40 with all menacing spectre hood, and become 60+ with all menacing with other helmets. 30 and 50 damage without menacing. That's very noticeable.

pretty much as it stands, the only intelligent thing to do would be to stop beating the dead horse and leave the mage lifesteal alone. trading lifesteal for additional DPS is basically the dumbest thing anyone has ever said. i think we've pretty much made our point here. most people play single player and need to actually keep that fact in mind instead of being arrogant when making suggestions.
That's no good idea to just settle with something that could be better. Terraria deserves more than that.

I did keep the fact in mind. The user can buff themself, but thanks for the unneeded insult. If you're going to dislike my idea, at least dislike it for what it really is, not for what it isn't.

Back
Top Bottom