Game Mechanics Spectre Hood: Losing lifesteal for a new effect

i hate to burst your bubble, but it's called insight, not insult. terraria is in need of something resembling a "cleric", not a stats fluffer. mages fill this gap with the current setup. as for the holier-than-thou perspective about melee, why do you think the paladin shield works the way it does? have a mage with life steal and a melee user with the paladin shield, the mage "heals the team member with the lowest health". i would say everything is working as intended and as needed.

why do you think the paladin shield works the way it does? have a mage with life steal and a melee user with the paladin shield, the mage "heals the team member with the lowest health". i would say everything is working as intended and as needed.
It works like that cause melee guys have more defence than the other classes, so they would take less damage, essentially lessening the damage by 25% from the initial person hit and reducing the damage hugely on the tank.
Let's say an enemy does 100 damage to a mage with 26 defence.
The mage will take 62 damage, while the paladin shield user reduces the 25 damage that would do much more to the mage to 1.
It's a beneficial system, as the paladin's only taking 1 damage where they would have taken much more.
I don't think it was designed with the hood in mind.

i hate to burst your bubble, but it's called insight, not insult. terraria is in need of something resembling a "cleric", not a stats fluffer. mages fill this gap with the current setup. as for the holier-than-thou perspective about melee, why do you think the paladin shield works the way it does? have a mage with life steal and a melee user with the paladin shield, the mage "heals the team member with the lowest health". i would say everything is working as intended and as needed.
My idea was misinterpreted and I was called arrogant for it. I'd call the rest insight maybe, but that part was unneeded.

With this idea the paladin's shield would act just the same. Spectre Hood back when 1.2 was acting the way as it was intended, and remember how over powered it was then? Just because something is working as intended, doesn't mean it's working right.

You may call this idea stat fluffer. But then I'll just call lifesteal a health fluffer too. The game already has so many ways to heal players. Even the moon enemies vomit hearts all over the place. I'd like to see a way to increase the power of set bonuses, something new, rather than yet another way to heal that can't seem to be balanced at all after several nerfs and changes already.

Uhhh.... I Said. Magic Power Potion + Menacing = No debuff at all, do you hear? 20+20=40
Also, do you want do dive into like the 40 enemies stuck inside your trap, your lava, all your traps, to get those hearts? or will you just die?

Playing solo, I prefer using the Hood over the mask, especially during the Moon Events. With menacing accessories the 40% reduction are easily removed and I become quite tanky.

I do, however, like your idea and would gladly see it as a third spectre headpiece.

Uhhh.... I Said. Magic Power Potion + Menacing = No debuff at all, do you hear? 20+20=40
Also, do you want do dive into like the 40 enemies stuck inside your trap, your lava, all your traps, to get those hearts? or will you just die?
So 0% damage, but another helmet would receive +40% damage. A 50 damage attack would be 50 with the hood, 70 with another. That's a huge difference. And other mage helmets also increase damage, so you'd be left doing 30 less damage than you could be doing.

I find it interesting that whenever someone requests a change to an armour piece, people be like "Dump it in another headpiece brah" even tho it was to remove the bonus of one armour piece and replace it with another, less overpowered (or frustrating) set bonus.

I find it interesting that whenever someone requests a change to an armour piece, people be like "Dump it in another headpiece brah" even tho it was to remove the bonus of one armour piece and replace it with another, less overpowered (or frustrating) set bonus.

that's because there are less people that want to get rid of something that's good and replace it with something senseless, and there are more people that prefer said thing the way it is in current form.

that's because there are less people that want to get rid of something that's good and replace it with something senseless, and there are more people that prefer said thing the way it is in current form.
This isn't senseless, though.
Just cause something's different, doesn't mean it's senseless.
I think it's a cool idea to actually bring a team armour to the table, for once.

This isn't senseless, though.
Just cause something's different, doesn't mean it's senseless.
I think it's a cool idea to actually bring a team armour to the table, for once.

i don't mean senseless in the immediate sense that it appears. however in this particular instance with all surrounding factors, it is senseless. with end-game mage, we have offense (dps), and we have cleric (life steal). what the proposal is basically suggesting is, drop cleric and give mage more dps on top of the current dps thus rendering mage ridiculously redundant.

the only intelligable thing would be to either make a 3rd headpiece, or make a whole new gear set. personally i'm all for the idea to give either a 3rd head piece or new gear set. the buff support IS a good idea, but not under the circumstances presented.

i don't mean senseless in the immediate sense that it appears. however in this particular instance with all surrounding factors, it is senseless. with end-game mage, we have offense (dps), and we have cleric (life steal). what the proposal is basically suggesting is, drop cleric and give mage more dps on top of the current dps thus rendering mage ridiculously redundant.

the only intelligable thing would be to either make a 3rd headpiece, or make a whole new gear set. personally i'm all for the idea to give either a 3rd head piece or new gear set. the buff support IS a good idea, but not under the circumstances presented.
It's not adding another offensive. It's adding a support helmet instead of the cleric one. I feel a cleric item would be more like a low-dps magic weapon than an armour piece. It doesn't give them more DPS, it gives them movement speed.

You don't seem to realise that a magic armour should not nerf your damage for it's ability. It should be the ability adapts to the stats, not the other way around.

It's not adding another offensive. It's adding a support helmet instead of the cleric one. I feel a cleric item would be more like a low-dps magic weapon than an armour piece. It doesn't give them more DPS, it gives them movement speed.

You don't seem to realise that a magic armour should not nerf your damage for it's ability. It should be the ability adapts to the stats, not the other way around.

have you ever played games like final fantasy? not the numbered ones, but the originals. ever notice how the WHITE MAGE (aka cleric) was offensively weak as hell, but could heal the team all damn day long? yeah, it's supposed to be that way. if clerics could drop the hammer AND heal up a storm, they would be treated as gods. point being, i'm a fan of the damage nerf to the cleric headpiece, just as i am a fan of the fact cleric exists in end-game. you shouldn't assume things you don't fully understand.

have you ever played games like final fantasy? not the numbered ones, but the originals. ever notice how the WHITE MAGE (aka cleric) was offensively weak as hell, but could heal the team all damn day long? yeah, it's supposed to be that way. if clerics could drop the hammer AND heal up a storm, they would be treated as gods. point being, i'm a fan of the damage nerf to he cleric headpiece, just as i am a fan of the fact cleric exists in end-game. you shouldn't assume things you don't fully understand.
I'm not assuming things I don't understand.
I'm saying that a set should not DECREASE a weapon's damage because of the ability.
I think life-steal for mages should be a weapon, not an armour.

I'm not assuming things I don't understand.
I'm saying that a set should not DECREASE a weapon's damage because of the ability.
I think life-steal for mages should be a weapon, not an armour.
Right, if it's life steal is high% then it has to be very low damage, not suitable for lategame
It the life steal % is low, then it has to deal lots of damage to make the lifesteal viable, then add on all the magic buffs and you get the most op item in existance
Do you know how hard it is to balance this stuff?

have you ever played games like final fantasy? not the numbered ones, but the originals. ever notice how the WHITE MAGE (aka cleric) was offensively weak as hell, but could heal the team all damn day long? yeah, it's supposed to be that way. if clerics could drop the hammer AND heal up a storm, they would be treated as gods. point being, i'm a fan of the damage nerf to the cleric headpiece, just as i am a fan of the fact cleric exists in end-game. you shouldn't assume things you don't fully understand.
But are clerics meant to be tanks? Because clerics are tanks in Terraria.

Thats a RPG vs this uhh.... blocky.... whatever...... game..... You should not compare them, if they were not tanky at all they would get 1hit by all manners of things, those games have multiple players to tank hits, while this game is based on 1 player

Right, if it's life steal is high% then it has to be very low damage, not suitable for lategame
It the life steal % is low, then it has to deal lots of damage to make the lifesteal viable, then add on all the magic buffs and you get the most op item in existance
Do you know how hard it is to balance this stuff?
Yeah, hence why an armour set is a silly way of doing it. For the exact reason you listed above.
It has to either have high % and lower the damage (which is a load of crap) of have low % and be badass with buffs.
the weapon has not got to deal with several damages at once, so balancing is much easier than with an armour.

in games like dungeons in dragons, clerics have been known to take hits quite well when played right.
And in Terraria, all you need to do is grapple down, point and hold down click. That's not playing right, that's just being insanely powerful with zero effort.

My idea tries to make the player have to try and dodge to be powerful. What may work in turn-based games won't always work well in non-turn-based games.

Back
Top Bottom