Mobile Rest/Farm Station

I thought about how to fix these problems, and the only solution I could think of is to move the statues to the roof and the campfire inside. If the stars and hearts the statues throw land on the roof, they can still be picked up from inside the house. And because the statues can be placed directly in the honey, there is no annoying platform. Unfortunately, what happens then, is that you sometimes miss the hearts and stars as they are being thrown up in the air from the statue if you are running through the building. Lose - lose. I think you kind of have to decide what your building (battle station? runway rest point?), otherwise it becomes a mediocre inbetween.

Here is a possible solution to the battle station/rest point combo. For how simple the wiring looks, it's quite complex for what it accomplishes.

Station8.jpg

Battle Station: The top is lava to kill anything from above. The pressure plates inside were moved to the floor so that you can jump on top of them to close the 1 block high door if you want to stand right next to the doorway and swing a sword instead of stay in the middle and use a ranged weapon. The two block opening allows you to attack but prevents any 3 block tall enemy from entering. You can always take cover below if you start to get low on health and still collect the hearts and stars plus a honey bath regen if you decide to flood the bottom up to just below the campfire.

Runway Rest Point: The bottom satisfies the housing requirement and the clock is back for mobile users. Running through will spawn two hearts and two stars and the "doors" auto open and close.

Possible options:
1) If you have a weapon that will attack through a wall, you can add two additional stone slab blocks with actuators and extend the red wire into them . You will need to reroute the combined red, blue, and green wire to go up first and then over to the timers.
2) Add a staircase or ramp of stone slab blocks with actuators and tie it into the door wiring so that enemies would climb right up into the lava if you prefer not to attack them yourself, but would allow you to actuate the blocks to get into the station.
3) Replace the work bench for platforms if you don't want an NPC inside
4) Remove the crystal ball and clock to compress the design by two blocks horizontally.
5) Replace the work bench/piggy bank with the crystal ball and remove the clock to compress the design by two blocks horizontally. The piggy bank can be kept inside the safe and pulled out and placed as needed. This also invalidates the house so no NPC will move in.
6) Replace the Crystal ball with a bomb statue if you'd like to collect bombs.

This doesn't happen automatically on mobile during the night if the NPC is off-screen?

The NPC merely remains inside the non valid house for a long period... Better than before though! One time, before hardmode was available, the NPCs refused to leave the location of their house even if the entire building was completely removed. Back then I had to kill them in order to relocate them!

I like the direction your modifications take. Essentially, it is a realization of my former suggestion:

(Or could you just extend the runway left and right from the upper platform? would that work?)

i.e., that the runway runs above, and not through the house itself. The addition of the grandfather clock is welcome for mobile as much as it is logical for PC in this situation since now that the statues have been moved outside of the house, there is more space within the minimal area requirements of the housing that can be filled with furniture.

The idea of a foot-block at the entrances of the rest-point is interesting, but at the same time it would be nice if the abode could be completely sealed off. Although a foot-block will keep 2x3 enemies at bay, it is not going to stop annoying demon eyes, harpies, hell, even slimes from accessing the main corridor. I thought it might be possible to incorporate both ideas, a foot-block and fully sealed off enclosure, into the design, and came up with the following:

Capture2.PNG

Right next to the inside of the foot-block of the entrances there is a switch. If you toggle it, the bottom block of the "door" opens, and then, if you approach the door, passing over the pressure plate at head height, the situation reverses so that the foot-block is now foreground, and the top two blocks of the "door" in the background. If you do not toggle the switch, the door functions normally as 3 block door. The elevated positioning of the head-height pressure plate is good, as it is an impossibility to miss, contrary to a pressure plate at foot level, which even in a 3 block high corridor can be jumped over.

In addition to the modifications to the entrance situation, I have rigged the lava pit above the house so that it is open when the player is inside the house, and closed when the player is outside. I noticed that you opted not to adopt my "speed bump" pressure plates outside that house. Are half height blocks not possible in mobile, or did you not understand the reasons behind this system?

I took pains to make this mobile compatible. None of the switches, pressure plates or timers are within one block of wires they are not supposed to activate (this is a necessity as I understand it from Xieewenz's post). I did some painting to the statues, platforms and other furniture pieces, as well as fixed the platforms above the bed so that spawn point can be set. Lastly, I changed the leftmost platform holding up the campfire to a wood block so as to prevent an NPC, should you choose to house one in the rest-point, from wandering in front of the piggybank and safe where he/she interferes with access to these furniture pieces.

I really enjoy how this build has improved by bouncing it back and forth between the members of this social group involved in this post. If you have any improvements, by all means post.

Last edited:
I thought it might be possible to incorporate both ideas, a foot-block and fully sealed off enclosure, into the design, and came up with the following:

I considered this option as well and I like it, but went for simplicity as you can just drop into the house section to recover any health before fighting on. Only the harpies can pass through platforms I believe so any other enemy would be easy enough to pick off in safety. The alternatives are to just seal the whole station up and use a weapon that can pass through blocks or create a ramp/staircase to lead enemies to the lava pit above.

I noticed that you opted not to adopt my "speed bump" pressure plates outside that house. Are half height blocks not possible in mobile, or did you not understand the reasons behind this system?
It appears it will prevent hearts and stars from spawning from the statues on exit. Leaving behind two hearts and two stars just means they are available for pickup the next time you enter so I'm not sure of the value, at least in my use case. Let me know if I'm missing something though. I do like the design though and it could be useful in other situations.

I took pains to make this mobile compatible.
This is something I really need to look at more as I usually don't play on mobile, but making sure my creations work there would be useful before posting here instead of waiting on someone else to try it for me. Looking at a build on a server is also a consideration as latency can wreak havok for multiple players.

Lastly, I changed the leftmost platform holding up the campfire to a wood block so as to prevent an NPC, should you choose to house one in the rest-point, from wandering in front of the piggybank and safe where he/she interferes with access to these furniture pieces.
Why couldn't I think of something this simple? All of my solutions revolved around invalidating the house so that (s)he wouldn't get in the way. I may have to steal this idea for another project.

I really enjoy how this build has improved by bouncing it back and forth between the members of this social group involved in this post.
I second this.

I really enjoy how this build has improved by bouncing it back and forth between the members of this social group involved in this post. If you have any improvements, by all means post.

I second this.

Tiz the magic of T-MEC.
[DOUBLEPOST=1430688503,1430679004][/DOUBLEPOST]
1zo8a69.png

ifctix.png

Made another one. It allows entry from below and applies traps to protect the sides and above. The traps as well as the statuesonly activate with the middle switch though... Haven't had much time to build stuff this week.

One thing that might be a possible addition is a compact mechanism for some quick gold farming while you rest at the station. Using a Jellyfish Statue is probably the best way - a short minecart track with two pressure plates rigged to the statue would produce a decent rate of gold if a teleporter was used to call a merchant - the merchant's house could possibly be rigged with a teleporter floor, and connected to all the rest stations throughout the world. This way when you're adventuring and come to a rest station, you can teleport in the merchant to sell off items and free up inventory space or just farm for a bit of gold.

It might also be a good idea to add some house defense mechanisms, such as continuous flamethrowers using flame traps (Stahn Aileron worked out a nice compact timer cascade mechanism - link is here: http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/cascading-timers.117949/) or laying down spiky ball traps below and to the sides (or even on the roof).

The alternatives are to just seal the whole station up and use a weapon that can pass through blocks or create a ramp/staircase to lead enemies to the lava pit above.

Yes. Probably easier. The foot-block/full-door combo mechanism does work, but it is a little cumbersome to use. Let's agree that, primarily, you wouldn't use the half the door but it is a convenience feature that is there if you need it.

It appears it will prevent hearts and stars from spawning from the statues on exit. Leaving behind two hearts and two stars just means they are available for pickup the next time you enter so I'm not sure of the value, at least in my use case. Let me know if I'm missing something though.

That is exactly what it does, so I guess no, you are not missing anything. It is just a matter of an assumed context on my part that in addition to the runway rest-point, there would be other waypoints on your sky bridge that would look something akin to this:

Capture3.PNG

If such a station is within a 600 tile radius of the house, the left behind stars and hearts at base will prevent the spawn of max. hearts and stars locally. I think it is Vazilin's recent WoF speedkill that made me assume you'd have some waypoints in your sky bridge, but if you are not TEditing, amassing enough star and heart statues from one map for such a system is hard. By the way, the above a good wiring for two statues with pressure plates as it works running from left-to-right and right-to-left without missing items, and can be extended indefinitely.

EDIT: It would appear that I am speaking out of my butt. The spawn caps are 3 in 18.75 tiles, and 6 in 50 tiles, making my whole worry about spawn caps irrelevant.

[

making sure my creations work there would be useful before posting here instead of waiting on someone else to try it for me.

I am only assuming the build works on mobile.

Made another one.

It looks nice! Not sure what everything does though. The traps and statues seem to be hooked up to the timers. Most of the other red wiring controls entry to the base, I assume. Floating statues?
[DOUBLEPOST=1430695544,1430695230][/DOUBLEPOST]
Stahn Aileron worked out a nice compact timer cascade mechanism - link is here: http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/cascading-timers.117949/

I made heavy reference to this page while studying timers. I think I have a more in depth handle on them now though and was thinking of creating a primer...

Speaking of minecarts, aren't these skybridges begging for their use?

Last edited:
It looks nice! Not sure what everything does though. The traps and statues seem to be hooked up to the timers. Most of the other red wiring controls entry to the base, I assume. Floating statues?

Oh, that's the actuation teleporter glitch. Place a teleporter, place a statue on top of the teleporter, then actuate the blocks on which the teleporter stands on. The teleporter drops, but the statue remains in place. HOWEVER! If you place or take anything within 1 block of the statues, they will drop down.

Useful when making statue farms and ensuring the mobs will drop down immediately.

The switches at the edges of the house and at the bottom as well as the plates outside activate the "doors" only, while the switch at the center closes the rest stop and activates the traps

Oh, that's the actuation teleporter glitch.

Ah, okay. I learned this from Zerogravitas' engines video, but thought it might be a TEdit mishap.
[DOUBLEPOST=1430799327,1430696095][/DOUBLEPOST]So I was experimenting with the fastest possible health regen with heart statues, and have come with this: a high-tech, T-MEC hospital!

Capture4.PNG

This hospital gives 600 health and mana lickety split. I was thinking, @DicemanX , wouldn't it be possible to force the teleporter hub to run through this mechanism on every teleport so as to make "healing teleportation" ?

Last edited:
This hospital gives 600 health and mana lickety split. I was thinking, @DicemanX , wouldn't it be possible to force the teleporter hub to run through this mechanism on every teleport so as to make "healing teleportation" ?

You mean like this? When you hit the lever in the hub you are teleported to the hospital and immediately hoiked to the right which starts the hospital. When finished with the hospital you are teleported back to the ABC selector hoik row in the hub. If you didn't make an A, B, or C selection you'll hit the return teleporter and wind up back at the selection section of the hub. I have the added benefit of making the hub my house so if I die I can run through the hospital and then teleport back close to where I was.

I did have to extend the skeleton hoik track to add an additional pressure plate to activate the last teleporter as I'm missing how you accomplished that. I don't see your red wire connected to any pressure plate. I also have an issue where I sometimes miss collecting some of the hearts and stars.

For those that are wondering, the right side is a Glowing Mushroom farm so the Truffle would move in because my NPC housing is just above the hub.

HubplusHospital2.jpg

Yeah! Like that!

Thanks for doing this; I have not yet involved myself with the teleporter hub, so that might have taken me some time figure out. Just a question though: does this work both ways, outbound and inbound? I think if I did this in my own world, I would separate the hospital from the teleporter hub mechanism geographically, so that it would be a visitable section of my base, kind of like a healing ward or something. Maybe even attempt to make the skeletron track viable housing and hoik the nurse instead... I think I might just do that for a CC entry this month!

Good job at cleaning up the wiring across the statues. It looked the way it did because I had been previously been using alternating heart/star statues with only one activating pressure plate between them. By the way, the setup that I showed above?

Yeah, that won't work with two of the same statue. You have to separate the statues and use four pressure plates, the way they are in the hospital build.

I'd welcome any improvements on the hospital, but I think it's designed pretty optimally. In other attempts at creating the mechanism, I tried trawling the player along the top and bottom of the line of statues (because the statues are two blocks wide you cannot hoik an actor directly across them). "At the speed of hoik", the character would activate the statues and move on faster than he would pick up the items. You really need to have the player directly infront of the statues for an immediate pick-up of the hearts and stars, which lead to the current design of teleporting the player from statue to statue and controlling statue activations with a skeleton track.

A small mistake in my hospital build: I had meant to have the skeleton statue and its two teleporters moved over one block left in relation to the skeleton track. I see Plerb fixed this in his application of the hospital in the teleporter hub by adding a waist high hoik.
[DOUBLEPOST=1430842261,1430841771][/DOUBLEPOST]
I did have to extend the skeleton hoik track to add an additional pressure plate to activate the last teleporter as I'm missing how you accomplished that. I don't see your red wire connected to any pressure plate.

The missing pressure plate is hidden in the lava. Confused me the first time I saw this in one of Joe's builds.

I also have an issue where I sometimes miss collecting some of the hearts and stars.

This is very frustrating news, as I worked hard on getting exactly this not to happen. Tell me, do you collect all the items when you move the player right while teleporting through the hospital? if you initiate teleportation with the player over the right two blocks of the teleporter. Horizontal positioning of the player is key. It could be that the problem will be resolved if you amend the right shifting hoiks over the teleporter to the hospital to a sequence of foot height, waist height, foot height hoiks. waist-height, foot-height, full-block (any down-right shifting hoik) from left to right

Last edited:
Just a question though: does this work both ways, outbound and inbound?
My image only shows outbound, but setting up inbound isn't very difficult. The green return from the top A,B, and C hoiks tracks need to lead to the start of the hospital instead of back to the starting location of the hub. The green return from the bottom A,B,C selector hoik track needs to be disconnected from the other teleporters and only connected to the starting location of the hub. You will also need to extend the hoik teeth at the start of the hospital to the left 1 block. This is because the player sticks off the left side of the teleporter on the return.

This setup will take you from the A,B, or C hoik track return to the hospital on the inbound trip, then through the ABC selector hoik track of the hub but since nothing is selected you'll go straight through to the return and wind up at the hub starting location.

I think if I did this in my own world, I would separate the hospital from the teleporter hub mechanism geographically, so that it would be a visitable section of my base, kind of like a healing ward
The more I use my hub and other automated builds, the lazier I get about having normal access to stuff.

The missing pressure plate is hidden in the lava. Confused me the first time I saw this in one of Joe's builds.
Well that explains it.

It could be that the problem will be resolved if you amend the right shifting hoiks over the teleporter to the hospital to a sequence of foot height, waist height, foot height hoiks. waist-height, foot-height, full-block (any down-right shifting hoik) from left to right
I think that did it, but I had been messing around with additional pressure plates so it might be a combination. I think I got hoiking 101 down, I need the 102 class now to understand the finer details like this. I ended up with foot-height, waist-height, foot-height, full-block column, and then foot-height centered over the teleporter.

HubplusHospital3.jpg

Nice work all! I really like the idea of a hospital near the spawn point - too often in the past I would find myself wasting time accessing the piggy bank and heading up to the nurse after dying, so the hospital would be a nice time saver.

Of course the hospital idea has a number of other applications, such as enabling a full heal during boss fights in an arena. There might even be ways of avoiding the use of slimes to block damage during moon events, and have a continuous replenishment of health. I tested different approaches to that before (floating heart statues that would deposit hearts into a hoik system that would deliver those hearts to the player) but abandoned further investigation. Maybe I should re-examine that approach again.

Of course the hospital idea has a number of other applications, such as enabling a full heal during boss fights in an arena.

It's funny how this thread has gone from outposts, to a hospital, to the teleporter hub, but there is an obtuse logic to it all.

Basically, I was looking at all the regen resources we were trying to cram into the outposts (timer statues, campfires, all that jazz), and thought to myself, couldn't we forgo these elements if we consolidate them in the teleporter hub and forced entry to the outpost to route through the teleporter hub? Right now, the teleporter hub only heals you when you go from base to outpost, but I was imagining developing a protocol for the outlier teleporters that lets you choose between being sent to the teleporter hub and automatically back (the idea being that you just want to be cycled through the teleporter network for the sake of a heal), and teleporting to the teleporter hub because you want to return to base. Something in the line of a pressure plate on top of the teleporter and a switch beside it.

For situations such as boss arenas where you have set up teleporters to juggle you around the map, I am not sure of the usefulness of the hospital. You may be better served with statues in the immediate vicinity as their cool downs can be staggered to provide you with a more continuous regen. On the other hand, you could rig the juggling teleporters to send you through the hospital only when the cooldown for the statues in the hospital is up. Or make multiple hospitals (overkill much?). Besides cleaning up the hospital for an entry in this month's CC, I think an activation indicator for the cooldown of the hospital is the next modification I would like to make to the hospital.

It's funny how this thread has gone from outposts, to a hospital, to the teleporter hub, but there is an obtuse logic to it all.

Basically, I was looking at all the regen resources we were trying to cram into the outposts (timer statues, campfires, all that jazz), and thought to myself, couldn't we forgo these elements if we consolidate them in the teleporter hub and forced entry to the outpost to route through the teleporter hub? Right now, the teleporter hub only heals you when you go from base to outpost, but I was imagining developing a protocol for the outlier teleporters that lets you choose between being sent to the teleporter hub and automatically back (the idea being that you just want to be cycled through the teleporter network for the sake of a heal), and teleporting to the teleporter hub because you want to return to base. Something in the line of a pressure plate on top of the teleporter and a switch beside it.

The return trip can involve passage through the hospital by simply connecting the end teleporters to the hospital starting teleporter. At the end of the hospital the player would be teleported into the ABC selector, but since nothing would be selected when returning the player would reach the starting teleporter in the hub. You could also try to have a switch at every destination to give the option of returning through the hospital or have a hospital at every destination, but that would take more work.

For situations such as boss arenas where you have set up teleporters to juggle you around the map, I am not sure of the usefulness of the hospital. You may be better served with statues in the immediate vicinity as their cool downs can be staggered to provide you with a more continuous regen.

Oh, no doubt, but I was thinking more along the lines of AFK arenas.

On the other hand, you could rig the juggling teleporters to send you through the hospital only when the cooldown for the statues in the hospital is up. Or make multiple hospitals (overkill much?). Besides cleaning up the hospital for an entry in this month's CC, I think an activation indicator for the cooldown of the hospital is the next modification I would like to make to the hospital.

For AFK moon arenas or even boss fights it might be worth exploring duplicate hospitals and a skeleton-powered feedback track that shifts the player to the next hospital with statues without cooldown. This way after the player runs through the first hospital, the second run through would have the player progress through hospital #2, and through #3 afterwards etc. This means that the player can basically stand in one spot to fight the boss or a moon event, and be momentarily whisked away for a full heal every second (through a 1 sec timer) or upon manual activation if choosing not fighting AFK.

This means that the player can basically stand in one spot to fight the boss or a moon event, and be momentarily whisked away for a full heal every second (through a 1 sec timer) or upon manual activation if choosing not fighting AFK.

I don't understand. Is there something wrong with the slime invulnerability technique?

The return trip can involve passage through the hospital by simply connecting the end teleporters to the hospital starting teleporter. At the end of the hospital the player would be teleported into the ABC selector, but since nothing would be selected when returning the player would reach the starting teleporter in the hub.
Look closely at my last image and you'll see I this is already setup.

As for using a hospital in an arena build, if it uses a waiting area we can just setup a cascading timer to send the player through every 10 seconds. I'll defer to DicemanX, but are we really getting hit for 400+ damage every 10 seconds?

I don't understand. Is there something wrong with the slime invulnerability technique?

I actually try to avoid the slime trick whenever possible. For pure farming anything goes, but when it comes to trying to set speed records or records for number of bosses taken down AFK I try to reduce the number of unintended mechanics or bugs. Of course one might argue that replacing the invulnerability trick with a bug (hoiks) doesn't make it any better, but I tend to view hoiks more as a feature than a bug. Plus, Cenx already confirmed explicitly that hoiks will not be removed in 1.3, so we could consider hoiks as "intended" at this point. The invulnerability machine, on the other hand, could very well bite the dust in 1.3 for all we know.

In any case, I think it would be quite a challenge to build a moon arena without using slimes for protection!

Look closely at my last image and you'll see I this is already setup.

As for using a hospital in an arena build, if it uses a waiting area we can just setup a cascading timer to send the player through every 10 seconds. I'll defer to DicemanX, but are we really getting hit for 400+ damage every 10 seconds?

Oh, definitely yes. In moon events the player character will take a beating every second in the later waves even with strong (100 defense) armor/accessories. It won't be necessary to set-up 10 hospitals, but it would have to be tested what rate of heart collection will be sufficient to keep the player alive. The heart hoiking method might end up being better than the hospital method, but the annoyance with the hoiking method is that it doesn't work in all map positions.

The heart hoiking method might end up being better than the hospital method

How would you go about hoiking hearts that drop right infront of the statue? The only way I see this possible, is by floating statues, which is a "bug".

How would you go about hoiking hearts that drop right infront of the statue? The only way I see this possible, is by floating statues, which is a "bug".

Well, it most certainly is possible without floating them ;).

When you activate the heart statue it sometimes shoots the hearts straight up (seems to do it at least 50% of the time). The trick then is to have a top hoik system that is perfectly synchronized in such a way as to ensure that when the statue is activated, the teeth are actuated, and then a moment later when the hearts are elevated into the actuated hoik teeth the hoik teeth are deactuated. The hearts that don't make it are burned in the lava. All 6 activation points can be used but they would have to be staggered in such a way as to maintain synchronization with the actuation state of the teeth.

Losing even half the hearts to lava is irrelevant, since you can use many heart statues and you cannot overcome the hard cap of 10 hearts at any one time anyways.

Additionally, this would have to be built in a place on the map that allows for hoiking of size 1 items continuously. That place is usually close to the middle and a bit elevated, which is fine for a moon event grinder.

I've built the prototypes and they work well, but the main issue is trying to get it optimized to deliver enough hearts to survive in the later moon event waves.

Back
Top Bottom