Game runs in "Slow motion" or low fps?

Lol i deleted config file in my documents / my games/ terraria and fps lag disappeared ...
[DOUBLEPOST=1435863339,1435863263][/DOUBLEPOST]OMG it works, no crash after entering, no lag, nothing, just deleted this one config file and all works like before...
[DOUBLEPOST=1435863596][/DOUBLEPOST]Entered game, started to get wood, all clean as a whistle...

Lol i deleted config file in my documents / my games/ terraria and fps lag disappeared ...
[DOUBLEPOST=1435863339,1435863263][/DOUBLEPOST]OMG it works, no crash after entering, no lag, nothing, just deleted this one config file and all works like before...
[DOUBLEPOST=1435863596][/DOUBLEPOST]Entered game, started to get wood, all clean as a whistle...

Well its about time you posted something positive. Lets hope things continue to work out smoothly for you.

So I have somewhat the same problem.

I have had no problem with running terraria multiplayer before 1.3 before.
The singleplayer still works fine, but whenever I join a game my friend hosted, or try to host my own server, the game lags insanely. Like 2 fps or so.
Toggling frameskip just ends up the game being run in slow motion - and only when I host it myself. If my friend is the host the frameskip doesn't do anything.

When I host the game myself, I can be alone in the game (just hosted in multiplayer) and the game still lags insanely.

Multicore lighting is off.

My specs are:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
AMD E-300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (2 CPUs), ~1.3GHz
AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics
4096MB RAM
(not sure if you need any more of my specs).

Great work on the patch. From what it seems you've done an amazing job, and I look so much forward to get it to work properly and have some fun with it!
Thank you in advance.

Each time entering game, i must delete this file, or game starts to work like before... This file makes the problem

Each time entering game, i must delete this file, or game starts to work like before... This file makes the problem
can you open the file (in a text editor) and post its contents here before you delete it next time? the written info there can tell us what may be going wrong.

Just wanted to chime in here that I'm also getting the FPS dips. Deleting (well, renaming) the conf didn't do anything.

Here's my specs:

i5-4690k @4gHz
AMD r9 290
2x 1080p monitors
Windows 10 with the 14.4 drivers (though I also updated to the 15.6 beta drivers and the issue persisted)

The issue doesn't occur on my craptop even when it's hooked up to an external monitor, so it's definitely not a case of lacking power.

I've also been getting preeeeetty frequent crashes (one time I had Terraria paused, in the background, and it still crashed, among many other crashes).

Does Terraria generate any sort of crash logs? I haven't checked for any yet.

edit edit: it seems that decreasing my resolution a whole bunch (around 1000x800) fixes the issue, which seems kinda obvious, but at least it's something.

Last edited:
What I love is every major update the FPS gets worse and worse. I can't do invasions with my friends cause every one I do drops to 1 fps. It makes me so damn angry. I have 600 hours in Terraria and it's getting to the point where I can't even enjoy it anymore. I was able to attempt invasions in single player before 1.3 but not anymore. Hopped into a hardmode world and a martian invasion spawned. Saucer showed up and I drop to 1 fps. Gave up on doing it.

Started an expert world and popped it into hardmode. The Twins spawned and I drop down to 1 fps.

My friends want me to play with them, but I can't with this fps being so low. It's really not fun. 600 hours and I'm not allowed to actually enjoy all of the game content anymore. Yes, everything is low, retro.. no backgrounds. I've tried all the multi-core lighting options. Tried deleting the config.. nada. 60 fps in menu, 30 fps if I don't move. Then it just tanks to 3 fps... 1 fps during bosses or changes of lighting. On my friends server I'm down to 1 fps as well. Didn't try changing settings since I couldn't do anything at 1 fps.

AMD E-350 1.6ghz Dual core
8 gigs memory
AMD Radeon HD 6310 4gig memory
DX 11
win 7

If I didn't have those 600 hours I'd be sorely tempted to request a refund. But, I have gotten many hours of enjoyment, but these days it's hard and that makes me angry and sad. Laptop I started playing Terraria on when it 1st came out can't even run it anymore.

Last edited:
We are still investigating - the more info given helps to find patterns and discrepancies that yield diagnoses and then fixes.

Thus the more the community can give us about every bug the better

Okay,

i can say

Singleplayer: if Frame skip on OR off i got the same Frames 40-60. but Frame skip off= Slomo for me.
Multiplayer: if Frame skip on i get tons of lag 2-18 fps // off i got 30-60 frames but its in slomotion.

Multicore Lightning= Gives me some Frames, not much.

Tried a Clean Reboot, Install// Reinstall Xna Framework, Framework 4.5.2. Reinstalled Terraria, deleted every Terraria thing on my Pc, includes "C:\Users\home\Documents\My Games\Terraria". I also tried compatiblity Mode, deleted Config.js.

I also took a look at my firewall, everything is okay.

Note: It happens, when i host, when someone hosts and i join him. When Nitrado is the hoster, or if we are doing a Hamachi server.

We are still investigating - the more info given helps to find patterns and discrepancies that yield diagnoses and then fixes.

Thus the more the community can give us about every bug the better

personally, i think its something with memory leaks, because it gradually slows down for me, then the whole computer stops responding.

EDIT: ADDED PIC OF GAME CRASH AFTER TRYING COMPATABILITY (95)+RETRO LIGHTING+NO MAP, BACKGROUND, AND GORE. WHAAA!!!.JPG

more edit: in IP multiplayer (and most multiplayer) works and crashes after 7 min/crashes when i press cancel.

Last edited:
personally, i think its something with memory leaks, because it gradually slows down for me, then the whole computer stops responding.

EDIT: ADDED PIC OF GAME CRASH AFTER TRYING COMPATABILITY (95)+RETRO LIGHTING+NO MAP, BACKGROUND, AND GORE.View attachment 60803

more edit: in IP multiplayer (and most multiplayer) works and crashes after 7 min/crashes when i press cancel.

Again, Windows XP is bugging with Terraria at the moment. You´ll need to wait for a hotfix.
[DOUBLEPOST=1436117074,1436117031][/DOUBLEPOST]
same, windows xp, nivida, 2 free GB, steam, mostly multiplayer.

Same for you. Windows XP is bugging with Terraria at the moment. You´ll need to wait for a hotfix.

So I was exploring the dungeon some on my world [after losing my map] and instead of cutting down to the usual 45-50 fps, i was getting a solid, constant 30 fps. I also then got this error message when I tried to switch worlds (on the new world load, to be specific):

QTmkYm6.png

edit: the steam overlay failed to load for me today, and for whatever reason, it's running at a constant 60fps once again (with frameskip off, for whatever reason). I'm going to check back into this some and see if disabling the overlay consistently helps.

Last edited:
Q: I am experiencing low frame rate for Terraria, but the machine passes as recommended?
A: If you are using nVidia Control Panel, you can select Terraria.exe process and change the specifications on how your graphic card handles the game. Follow these instructions:
  1. Open nVidia Control Panel.
  2. Select Manage 3D Settings.
  3. Choose Program Settings Tab.
  4. Select Terraria as current program.
  5. Turn Triple buffering and Vertical sync to On.
  6. Run Terraria and turn Frame Skip to Off.
  7. The application should be running better than your current setup.
This is working bretty gud for me, thanks!

thank you sooooooooooooooooooooooooo much kovald!!!!!!!!
BTW i also deleted all of my old saves, did retro non multicore no backround or map 600*800 res. but IT WORKS!!! now go fix it loki, cause i want my old saves to work. (XP)

I have terribly low FPS. Before the game worked perfectly for my weak computer, now it's low quality :red:fest and crashes on 1st second of play with an error.

Same Problem, I had the 1.2 terraria, and it worked with no lag at all. Now 1.3 is here now its really laggy.
[DOUBLEPOST=1437168730,1437168628][/DOUBLEPOST]
Can we get a list of hardware specs from each of you please?

Clearly it isn't an "everyone" issue, so this helps to isolate and diagnose the issues.

Why did Red's wings get Nerfed?

Same Problem, I had the 1.2 terraria, and it worked with no lag at all. Now 1.3 is here now its really laggy.
[DOUBLEPOST=1437168730,1437168628][/DOUBLEPOST]

Why did Red's wings get Nerfed?

Team is still working on the lag issue and other things I'm sure. I have been pointing Skiphs to all multiplayer reports like this thread.

They got nerfed in alignment with making them publicly available in order to maintain balance.

Team is still working on the lag issue and other things I'm sure. I have been pointing Skiphs to all multiplayer reports like this thread.

They got nerfed in alignment with making them publicly available in order to maintain balance.

Well, thanks to that. Ill finally want to kill Plantera in Expert ;p

I've always got this slow-mo problem happening since... either 1.3.0.3 or 1.3.0.4,it wasnt even there at the start of 1.3(i believe). I have this issue both in multiplayer and singleplayer(not using steam to play multiplayer helps tho). In my case,slow-mo usually happens after i walk into a different biome(e.g. walking from a forest/pure biome into a desser biome) and whenever i load a world(new or already existing,doenst matter). BUT by simply switching to my desktop(im on fullscreen) and back into the game seems to solve the problem for me,atleast on singleplayer. If i do not switch back,the slow-mo effect actually does not disappear at all. Its only a short-term solution tho,as i have to do it everytime i walk into a different biome. I hope this gives you further insight,its all i can provide :p

UPDATE 2: I have just "fixed it" for me atleast. So it appears that the fps is locked to 45 when frame skip is on, but locked to 60 when it is off. But the problem with frame skip off is that although I get 60 fps, my mouse gets input delay or is laggy. I went Nvidia control panel and turned Vsync on for terraria, then I turned frame skip off, now I'm getting constant 60 fps and it appears turning Vsync on in Nvidia fixes the mouse lag issue, or makes it less noticeable atleast. Anyways I also think it is interesting that frames effect game speed, for example if I had 120 fps all enemies would move twice the speed, yet in most games, for example Minecraft, if you had 120 fps all of the enemies still move at the same rate. I found that interesting.

Awesome, thanks!
It fixed my timewarping issues, i had an issue where multiplayer would work just fine but singleplayer seemed to run at slow motion all the time
and only sometimes speeding up (usually at the most inconvenient times ofc)
At first i thought it was just my imagination and the fact that my character did not have any movement speed items
but it persisted and i recognised your "mouse lag"-ish issue so i tried it and it fixed it for me!
Thanks a lot!

Back
Top Bottom