tModLoader The Thorium Mod

I didn't quite have time to write out my thoughts on the loadout of mage weapons as a whole and if I may, @DivermanSam, I'd like to just quickly write out some things I really enjoyed, felt were lacking, or just quite good for where you get them in the game. Though overall as a whole I felt there wasn't really any weapon itself that was super overpowered or anything of that like :)

1. So overall the weapon I used most in pre-hardmode were Thor's Hammer, as it's available quite early and with just a few Thorium deposits and some patience to obtain it. The weapon does quite good damage and can even pierce making it overall excellent. However I feel as easy as it is to obtain it should either do less, or be made harder to get.
  2. Also in pre-HM the items from the Dessert Traveler proved to be exceptional for when obtainable. The Wind Gust especially good for early invasions and multi target damage.
  3. The High Tide was also another pre-HM weapon that stood out to me. The effect was cool, and it was also quite useful in a crowd.
  4. The Bloodboil was also quite useful for single target damage as well as crowds as it pierced infinitely over your cursor and did consistent enough damage that it could DPS down bosses quite effectively. Night's Lament, however, came out as my favorite of the two, despite it lacking auto-fire. The effect was awesome and the damage output was quite insane.
  5. The Amber-Augmented Magik Staff was insanely useful all through pre-HM on its basis of being able to provide an ichor debuff, even though it did not last long.
    • Overall my ranking of Pre-HM weapons that I used, just on a basis of preference, were: The Amber-Augmented Magik Staff, Night's Lament/Bloodboil, Wind Gust, Thor's Hammer, and the Jelly Pond Wand
Moving onto Hardmode:
  1. I found the hardmode-ore magic weapons to offer fairly good value for what they're made of. Particularly the Adamantite, Titanium, and Hallowed Staves. The attacks themselves were unique, well thought out, and quite powerful in their own rights.
  2. The Valadium Staff man...just...so, so, so good :)
  3. The Spectral Blade added some nice flavor as a proactive buff, as well as providing decent damage at close quarters, as well as its previous versions. Though I tended to not use them as much due to lack of auto-swing.
  4. The Chlorophyte Staff was just a solid DPS weapon
  5. The Black-Hole Cannon was honestly one of my favorite weapons due to the unique nature of it. And I felt it would be cool to have a further upgraded version if combined with, say a magnet sphere, that shot out projectiles at enemies while pulling them in, but that would likely be quite OP :)
  6. The Terrarium Sage-Staff. Get it.
  7. Dragon's Breath, see above.
Things I feel could be improved upon:
  1. A lot of the later staves could do to be auto-fire, just to match the progression in vanilla Terraria, but that's more of a personal opinion and in no way makes the weapons worse, as most that I'm speaking of can be fired as fast as you can click anyways.
  2. I feel like the Demon-Fire Blast wand could do with having a bit of a damage boost, as the other options available at the time almost all out perform it in the mech boss fights.
  3. Twin's Ire is just slightly underwhelming as a whole. I feel it could do with having a faster fire rate, perhaps do something similar to how the Phantasm works, but provide a lower damage number to compensate. I'm not very good at balance ideas so I don't really know what all could be done :/
  4. The Ragnarok mage weapons are unique and cool, but are out-performed by the Nebula Blaze massively in damage output. However, I feel this has a lot to do with the fact that the Nebula Blaze seems...odd, as it can crit for about 2k damage without having any buffs present, and even randomly ding in about a thousand damage on a regular hit for seemingly no reason.
  5. The Harbinger Set feels slightly lackluster. Seeing as Terrarium is fairly easy to get that far into the game, and the set bonus itself almost guarantees that you'll put yourself at a disadvantage in almost any fight. Meanwhile Terrarium's set bonus is god-like in the debuffs it will provide most enemies as well as the extra damage just being a guarantee.
  6. Which brings me to my next point, that I feel Terrarium is too easily obtained. Farming the Ectoplasm required takes almost no effort and the hardmode bars certainly aren't anything difficult to get ahold of either.
That overall is my thoughts of most of the weapons and armors that I actively used in the play through, seeing as it was a magic only type of deal I frequently did not touch armors or weapons outside of those lines. And none of my points are in a menacing way nor meant to discourage. This mod is fantastic and definitely my favorite one available. Keep up your amazing work Sam :) I'll probably continue to post things like this as I go through the other classes. With melee being next on the list!

UMMMMMM, why the heck are the expert ragnarok enemies like impossible to beat?
When you kill them they because the Titan's Death, which have 200000 HP and A TON of defense.

UMMMMMM, why the heck are the expert ragnarok enemies like impossible to beat?
When you kill them they because the Titan's Death, which have 200000 HP and A TON of defense.
You're not supposed to kill the ghosts. In fact, they literally cant be damaged. You have to finish off the remaining, living bosses.

On multiplayer so far, we have seen that (in the latest update) a fair amount of mobs dissapear when interacted with, some mobs reappear or stay invisible and kill NPCs while in this form. A lot of item id's have changed aswell, and mobs are not dropping what they are supposed to be.

Wait... What's the new ocean enemies?
Plus what summoning accessory's and related things should I get to fight the wall and later plantera

Last edited:
Wait... What's the new ocean enemies?
Plus what summoning accessory's and related things should I get to fight the wall and later plantera
Prepare your grindstone. I grinded out a all the ones from the dungeon nabbing a minotaur skull, phylactery, and a necromancer soul. Then I got lucky and nabbed some frostspark boots. You'll definitely want the imp staff but the meteor head staff could work? I'm not sure on that one though as I've not used it against him. Oh and make sure to get summoning potions and that summoning table for minions as far as the eye can see.

The phylactery with wisp dye looks awesome!
1brwCTJ.png

SPOILER SPOILER SPOILER

Is the true penguin wand an actual working weapon or just a troll item?

Last edited:
Is the true penguin wand an actual working weapon or just a troll item?
First of all, SHOOSH THAT'S A SPOILER.

Second of all, yes, it is an actual weapon (albeit a joke one). And it does exactly what it says- it obliterates the Ragnarok. And anything else you swing it at. I think it'll even one-shot the Dungeon Guardian.

...I'm tempted to test that.

Back
Top Bottom