Game Mechanics NPC Happiness Meters!

What do you think about this idea/suggestion?

• This is an AMAZING IDEA! Red should put this in the game!

• Great idea!

• Meh, it's okay. I've seen better.

• Yo, this is pretty bad. (Please explain)

• WURST IDEA EVAR (Please explain)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I like the idea but I seriously dislike the leaving part. Some npc's are rather needed, like the magician with his mana potions or the gunner with his ammunition. It'd be very annoying to see them leave while you're out of mana/ammo. I'd rather see them making their items more expensive if they're unhappy, like you said.
Also, at the start of the game you haven't got the means to properly decorate a house, so any npc's that'd come over would also leave again.

As you mentioned, if they're happy then items could be cheaper. If they're very happy have them sell special items? A nice bonus for people who take the effort in making a nice house. Perhaps have certain npc's sell their own outfits and weapons, like the painter's gun or the stylist's scissors.
The nurse's price would vary depending on her happiness, but perhaps provide buffs too past a certain happiness point.
The guide... I don't like the wall of flesh relation. I doubt the guide would be able to influence the wall of flesh' strength. It's not like he owns that thing down in hell, as far as I know. Perhaps just leave his happiness as always happy. Afterall, he's not seeking you out when you have a roof available; he's right there from day one. Perhaps he should just be the one stable npc who's with you all the way (well, until you sacrifice him anyway x).

I have an idea: If you have a Party Girl, other NPC's happiness will go down slower.
Because parties.
Except that not every npc is the same. Would the grouchy tax collector be interested in parties? Or the way too serious dryad? Or the reserved clothier?

You bring up an idea though. This makes me think how DarkAwesome could expand this idea with having certain npc's lose or gain happiness if they live near eachother. You'd have to keep them on separate floors.
Like how the mechanic and goblin would be very happy to live on the same floor since they obviously like eachother, but the dryad would absolutely hate seeing that perverted arms dealer walking around in her house. Meanwhile the arms dealer would be happy, since he's a perv.
Every npc would hate the annoying angler kid and pirate, except for the cyborg which would be immune to the angler's annoying comments and the pirate :red:ting on the floor.
The dye trader would feel at home with the painter, both liking colours and both probably needing eachother's services once in a while.
Dryad would like Truffle, both having a nature background and based on her dialogue.
Arms dealer and Demo dwarf would hate eachother, due to their competitiveness, also based on their dialogue.
The Witch Doctor would either be happy with the Magician next door due to learning a thing or two from him (and vice versa) or they could also dislike eachother due to competitiveness, although I think the Magician is the type that never gets angry over anything.
And so on.

I like the idea but I seriously dislike the leaving part. Some npc's are rather needed, like the magician with his mana potions or the gunner with his ammunition. It'd be very annoying to see them leave while you're out of mana/ammo. I'd rather see them making their items more expensive if they're unhappy, like you said.
Also, at the start of the game you haven't got the means to properly decorate a house, so any npc's that'd come over would also leave again.

As you mentioned, if they're happy then items could be cheaper. If they're very happy have them sell special items? A nice bonus for people who take the effort in making a nice house. Perhaps have certain npc's sell their own outfits and weapons, like the painter's gun or the stylist's scissors.
The nurse's price would vary depending on her happiness, but perhaps provide buffs too past a certain happiness point.
The guide... I don't like the wall of flesh relation. I doubt the guide would be able to influence the wall of flesh' strength. It's not like he owns that thing down in hell, as far as I know. Perhaps just leave his happiness as always happy. Afterall, he's not seeking you out when you have a roof available; he's right there from day one. Perhaps he should just be the one stable npc who's with you all the way (well, until you sacrifice him anyway x).

Except that not every npc is the same. Would the grouchy tax collector be interested in parties? Or the way too serious dryad? Or the reserved clothier?

You bring up an idea though. This makes me think how DarkAwesome could expand this idea with having certain npc's lose or gain happiness if they live near eachother. You'd have to keep them on separate floors.
Like how the mechanic and goblin would be very happy to live on the same floor since they obviously like eachother, but the dryad would absolutely hate seeing that perverted arms dealer walking around in her house. Meanwhile the arms dealer would be happy, since he's a perv.
Every npc would hate the annoying angler kid and pirate, except for the cyborg which would be immune to the angler's annoying comments and the pirate :red:ting on the floor.
The dye trader would feel at home with the painter, both liking colours and both probably needing eachother's services once in a while.
Dryad would like Truffle, both having a nature background and based on her dialogue.
Arms dealer and Demo dwarf would hate eachother, due to their competitiveness, also based on their dialogue.
The Witch Doctor would either be happy with the Magician next door due to learning a thing or two from him (and vice versa) or they could also dislike eachother due to competitiveness, although I think the Magician is the type that never gets angry over anything.
And so on.
Yeah, others have said that they don't like the leaving part as well. How about this: If they're happiness is all the way down, then they won't sell you some stuff they have. For example, if the Arms Dealer is really angry, he will still sell musket balls and empty bullets, but he won't sell the Minishark, the Shotgun, etc. Also, there are lots of decorations available from day one! When I said decorations, I meant sinks, dressers, chandeliers, bookcases, etc. You can literally find some of the decorations in an underground house. Some banners count as decorations too. Hmm... I dunno about the guide idea. When I made this suggestion, I had to think about what the Guide could do. I was thinking that if you turned him into the WoF, he could possibly recognize you as the friend that gave him everything or the jerk who gave him nothing but a room with a table and a chair. I agree with the fact that he should always be stable, but not really about the WoF part. I agree with the 'selling special things when happy' part. I love the fact that you mentioned 'NPCs who love and hate each other', since I was actually thinking about adding that! I just thought of that idea 2 days ago lol. Anyway, since I'm a lazy piece of crap, I'm just gonna copy and paste your comment in a spoiler in the Ideas by Commenters section. Thanks for the feedback!

What about certain NPCs won't leave no matter what because of certain reasons. Such as, if the goblin tinkerer and the mechanic are both there, neither will leave. Another example would be that the Guide won't leave because he has to guide you through this game, no matter what. The Dyrad won't leave either because she needs you to cleanse the world. Also, the Merchant won't leave because no matter how sad he is, he will take any opportunity for money. Stuff like that.

What about certain NPCs won't leave no matter what because of certain reasons. Such as, if the goblin tinkerer and the mechanic are both there, neither will leave. Another example would be that the Guide won't leave because he has to guide you through this game, no matter what. The Dyrad won't leave either because she needs you to cleanse the world. Also, the Merchant won't leave because no matter how sad he is, he will take any opportunity for money. Stuff like that.
Interesting. I'll add it to the list.

There should be a thing that when there are more NPCs, the Tax Collector is happier. He should also get a new quote, he would say,"Ah, I love my job! Its so much fun tak- err, I mean, collecting peoples money!"

There should be a thing that when there are more NPCs, the Tax Collector is happier. He should also get a new quote, he would say,"Ah, I love my job! Its so much fun tak- err, I mean, collecting peoples money!"
but that's not his personality, in fact he's basically scrooge, so he's kinda grumpy and/or cynical all the time.

plus it's not his money. He's being forced to collect it so that YOU as the player can take it for yourself.

I'm sure the merchant will hate the tax collector.:merchantmad:

Him, taking the gold from the merchant to give it to us.:merchantcry:
And if you think about it, we were the ones who gave that gold to him by buying stuff.
So, at the end, we have his stuff and his gold.:merchantsad:

I'm sure the merchant will hate the tax collector.:merchantmad:

Him, taking the gold from the merchant to give it to us.:merchantcry:
And if you think about it, we were the ones who gave that gold to him by buying stuff.
So, at the end, we have his stuff and his gold.:merchantsad:
Well... his benefit overall is room and board. He pays us, and we pay him, but in the end he pays us more because we give him shelter.

SOMEONE PLEASE.... Make a banner for this as I give this idea full support!
What's funny is that I'm actually a banner creator but never got around to making a banner for this. :p Anyway, thanks for the support!
---------
In other news, WOW! 4 votes for putting this idea in the game and 7 for great idea! And only one for okay?! That's absolutely amazing.

This guy made a post 5 years ago for his idea get implemented somehow into the game, i think this guy is from re-logic and it was all an inside operation.
If only I was from re-logic so i could tell them to make it that 720p screens can have the same field of view as 1080p screens.;(

Back
Top Bottom