Weapons & Equip Ninja Armor set bonus should grant a dash.

In Expert Mode, from the second boss, and it comes with the downside of bouncing off of enemies. This would be a dash that you can get without using an accessory slot, from an even easier boss, and in all difficulties. It's too powerful.
1. Grappling hook exists

2. It might not use an accessory slot, but it is your whole armor. Ninja armor also has absolutely pitiful defense, being half that of your standard corruption/crimson armor. Ninja's only other bonus is +9% crit chance, which also sucks. You would be giving up a lot in terms of armor for this dash.

3. Normal mode will never be hard, ever. Giving them an early game dash isn't going to instantly break everything.

In Expert Mode, from the second boss, and it comes with the downside of bouncing off of enemies. This would be a dash that you can get without using an accessory slot, from an even easier boss, and in all difficulties. It's too powerful.
Ninja Armor has fairly low defence and no damage boost / set bonus so it would be a purely movement-centered armor. Also it wouldnt even have to be a good dash. Even a small one would be great since the 1. good dash in classic is post-plantera ninja gear.
Imo there should be even more dashes.

I know the Shield of.. Whatever has a dash in Expert mode, but Imo, just stick to using a Grappling hook. With smart use of it, it can be the earlygame dash,

1. Grappling hook exists

2. It might not use an accessory slot, but it is your whole armor. Ninja armor also has absolutely pitiful defense, being half that of your standard corruption/crimson armor. Ninja's only other bonus is +9% crit chance, which also sucks. You would be giving up a lot in terms of armor for this dash.

3. Normal mode will never be hard, ever. Giving them an early game dash isn't going to instantly break everything.
1. Grappling hook requires blocks to grapple onto, is not nearly as fast as a dash, and demands greater skill to use properly. It's not an equivalent comparison. And even if it was, I wouldn't consider it an acceptable counterargument; it would just be something that needs to be nerfed.

2. The amount you give up in armor is more than compensated by the maneuverability the dash gives you. Dashing lets you reach top speed with mounts and Hermes Boots instantly, as well as allowing you to turn around instantly. There is no boss in Classic mode that can keep up with you when you do this. Dashes are extremely powerful. The only reason people use Crystal Assassin Armor is because it gives you a dash. Many people keep the Shield of Cthulhu equipped for their entire playthrough.

3. You don't get to decide what's difficult or not in the game. Classic mode is for beginners, and it's difficult enough for them. And Classic mode simply is not balanced around the player having a dash. If the goal is to buff Ninja Armor, there are better, more balanced options than giving it a dash. We could let it increase player acceleration/deceleration, similar to the Magiluminesence, for example.

1. Grappling hook requires blocks to grapple onto, is not nearly as fast as a dash, and demands greater skill to use properly. It's not an equivalent comparison. And even if it was, I wouldn't consider it an acceptable counterargument; it would just be something that needs to be nerfed.

2. The amount you give up in armor is more than compensated by the maneuverability the dash gives you. Dashing lets you reach top speed with mounts and Hermes Boots instantly, as well as allowing you to turn around instantly. There is no boss in Classic mode that can keep up with you when you do this. Dashes are extremely powerful. The only reason people use Crystal Assassin Armor is because it gives you a dash. Many people keep the Shield of Cthulhu equipped for their entire playthrough.

3. You don't get to decide what's difficult or not in the game. Classic mode is for beginners, and it's difficult enough for them. And Classic mode simply is not balanced around the player having a dash. If the goal is to buff Ninja Armor, there are better, more balanced options than giving it a dash. We could let it increase player acceleration/deceleration, similar to the Magiluminesence, for example.
1. The speed of the dash doesn't matter, it is the change in momentum that matters. Hooking to change momentum isn't much slower than dashing, I'd say its roughly 0.3 seconds slower if you're doing it right. And I doubt you'll be in a position where there aren't any blocks around for you to hook on to.

2. While there are no bosses that can keep up with you if you spam dashes, it is also rarely productive to just run away from the boss unless you are fighting king slime, who drops the ninja armor in the first place. And running away from skeletron can backfire. You still need to know how to use the dash against the boss for it to be useful, and you've gained that tool at the cost of significant defense and damage.

3. If you are saying that classic players are not skilled enough at the game, they would also not be skilled enough to use the dash properly, making point 2 moot. And if you made it like magil, what would be the point of using ninja armor if you can just use an accessory and get its effect without sacrificing your armor? The idea is that giving ninja armor a dash is both fitting, fun, and gives it an actual use case. Ninja armor is horrifically underpowered, and is basically just a vanity set.

Grappling hooks are faster than dashes, especially in earlygame, since shield of cthulhu (and this hypothetical ninja set dash) barely cover any distance at all and serve more as a method to instantly change direction. Dashes are easier to use, however. I'd expect a hypothetical ninja set dash would be like a shield of cthulhu distance wise, and not have the ability to bonk into things. It would be better than not having a dash, but worse than the shield.

As far as mobility related armour sets go, I'd much rather have the new shadow armour than a hypothetical ninja set with a dash, even in classic. The acceleration and top speed boost (that even works in midair) is imo a far more significant bonus than a dash, and the +10 defence on shadow armour compared to ninja is significant too. I'm mainly saying this to refute the point that ninja armour with a dash would "break" classic, since we already have a better mobility related armour set that doesn't really break much at all (sure it comes a bit later in the game, but dashes aren't too useful on classic mode EoC and evil bosses).

Last edited:
As far as mobility related armour sets go, I'd much rather have the new shadow armour than a hypothetical ninja set with a dash, even in classic. The acceleration boost (that even works in midair) is imo a far more significant bonus than a dash, and the +10 defence on shadow armour compared to ninja is significant too. I'm mainly saying this to refute the point that ninja armour with a dash would "break" classic, since we already have a better mobility related armour set that doesn't really break much at all (sure it comes a bit later in the game, but dashes aren't too useful on classic mode EoC and evil bosses).
Attempting to dodge the bosses in Classic Mode is actually the  weakest way to exploit them, as running in a single direction (the bosses are very slow, and very stupid), stacking defense to become unkillable (they deal hardly any damage), or bursting them down with damage before they can become a threat (they have fractions of the HP they do in higher difficulties) are all vastly more effective ways of dealing with bosses in classic mode than trying to engage with them and avoid their attacks. Classic having more mobility tools will not change much, I don't think. Also, like you mentioned, Shield of Cthulhu has the bash feature, so I don't think Ninja Armor having a simple dash will be outclassing anything.

Honestly, I like the idea of having a dash in classic mode, as the strategies I just mentioned fall off hard (still possible, just more difficult) in higher difficulties, while learning how to actually dodge the bosses becomes  more valuable; giving a dash to Ninja Armor would be a great encouragement to experiment with mobility and dodging so Expert Mode isn't as much of a shock;

My first playthrough 10 years ago on Mobile saw me equipping the highest-defense armor, swinging my sword, and repeatedly flinging myself at enemies until one of us died; this strategy almost always resulted in my victory, even against bosses, and the game was generally quite easy for me. Expert Mode doesn't tolerate such buffoonery, and as a result, my first playthrough on the mode was quite a shock, forcing me to learn how to engage with the enemies and bosses rather than running right through them like I did in classic. Allowing players in Classic Mode to get the hang of the dodging methods they will likely be using in Expert Mode seems like a pretty good idea to me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom