tModLoader Idea for a mod: Adding more weapons for subclasses

Lancer of hatred

The Destroyer
Hello, Lancer here. I thought of making a mod that adds more weapons for some subclasses in order to fix gaps in progression. I want to make the mod as balanced and vanilla-like as possible.

Here is what I thought off so far.
IMG_20240417_0010352.jpg

The first spear is the Hunting Spear. It is based on IRL pre historic spears.
It is crafted with Wood and Stone.
It should do less damage and DPS than the wooden sword so that it doesn't outclass the wooden sword.
This weapon is made to be always obtainable even if you have bad RNG and can't get a spear.

The second weapon is the Obsidian Bident.
It is crafted with Obsidian.
It is meant to be always obtainable even if you have bad RNG.
It should be at around the tier of Gold/Platinum weapons since you need a gold pickaxe to mine obsidian.
It is better than the trident and spear but worse than the Rotten fork.

The corruption spear, I will name it the "Worm's bite" unless someone has a better name. It is the corruption counterpart of the Rotten fork.
It is made with two Worm tooth and Ebonstone because you can only obtain Ebonstone if you have a bomb which puts it at around the same obtainability as the Rotten fork.
I don't know if it should have an aura too.

The Queen Bee spear. I think I'll name it "Queen's stinger".
It is crafted with Bee Wax making it post Queen Bee.
I want to balance it so that it doesn't outperform the Bee Keeper but rather that it does something else.
It will have better crowd control than an average spear in order to make fighting the Wall of Flesh's hungries easier.
It will be weaker than the Dark lance.

The Meteorite spear will be a weapon that can be crafted with meteorite ore and hellstone.
It is stronger than the Rotten fork and it should do enough DPS to Queen Bee and Deerclops that it finishes the fight in 3 minutes or less
It can attack through walls with it's true melee attack.
I don't have a good name for this weapon.

1714531655935.jpeg

Rotted fork upgrade
It is an upgrade for the Rotted fork crafted with the Rotted fork, Ichor, Souls of night, Crimtane bars and Tissue sample.
It has fast true melee swings, and it shoots ichor every 2 seconds. The spear melee speed and the rate at which the projectile is shot are different.
The ichor beam pierces 5 enemies. This spear was made with the intention of making pre-mechanical bosses invasions more bearable with the better crowd control due to the piercing of it's ranged projectiles.
It deals less DPS than the Titanium trident and Adamantite glaive.
It's true melee attack is faster than the upgrade for the corruption spear, but it shoots projectiles slower and has more piercing.
The ichor projectile is affected by gravity.

Corruption spear upgrade
It's an upgrade for the Corruption spear. It is crafted with the Corruption spear, Cursed flames, Souls of night, Demonite bars and Shadow scales.
It is slower than the Rotted fork upgrade, but it shoots cursed fireballs every time it swings. Cursed fireballs pierce twice.
The cursed fireball projectiles are affected by gravity and bounce.

Storm spear upgrade
It is crafted with the Storm spear, Forbidden fragments and clouds.
It has more projectile DPS than the Frostband and fires projectiles faster, but it has less range. This weapon has enough range to reach the Twins while they're firing projectiles away from you.
Its projectiles ignore gravity and have high speed, but they disappear after a while.
It has the color scheme of the forbidden armor.

Unicorn spear
It is crafted with Unicorn horn, Pixie dust and Souls of light
It shoots a projectile that doesn't pierce, has extremely long range and ignores gravity.
It has lower DPS than the titanium trident and beam sword

Frost core spear (Halberd)
It is crafted with Frost core and the Titanium Trident/Adamantite Glaive. It inflicts Frostbite on hit, it is a true melee weapon, and it has better range and DPS than the Titanium trident and Adamantite glaive.

I can make pixel art, so I'll try to make a concept art of these weapons later.

I don't know how to code. I'll learn later.

Do y'all have good suggestions for other subclasses that have progression gaps?

I am planning on adding more content to all melee subclasses

Last edited:
I'm usually more active in vanilla suggestions but i have þoughts on a couple of ðese. Queen's Stinger has a neat design. I'm not sure what exactly you meant by "It will have better crowd control than an average spear". Releasing bees is an obvious choice for a special effect, but what if instead it fires a stinger projectile like QB's? You wanted it to be good against ðe Hungry, so anoðer option could be spawning a piercing bee when you kill an enemy wiþ ðe spear's true melee attack. Overall ðese sound pretty balanced and could work well in vanilla.

Post golem and post plantera especially could use one. There’s only one per tier there and neither are particularly strong.
For post Plantera there is the Flower pow. I would have to test the Flower pow because it seems balanced enough to face events and kill the Golem.
For post Golem there is the Golem fist. I'd also have have to test it against bosses and events of their tiers too since it seems to be balanced.

The Flairon in the next update will be turned into a standard flail that you spin around and throw. I don't think they have progression gaps at those points.

Maybe I could add a better single damage flail to face Moon lord with? I forgot if the Flairon is good or not for Moon Lord. Isn't Solar eruption a flail? It works like a launched flail, almost.

Ah, but Post-Golem isn't Pre-Lunatic cultist, innit? Maybe you mean a Post-Golem flail to kill the Martian events, Frost moon, OOA phase 3, Duke Fishron and Empress of light, right?

If so, I'll have to test out if flails are viable for killing Duke fishron, Empress of light and the Post-Golem events in a reasonable amount of time. I mean, you have the Flower pow and Golem fist. They should be good. After killing Duke Fishron you get the Flairon which is extremely good for events. It should be good for Empress of light. I don't know yet, I haven't tested it.

If the Flower pow sucks for killing Golem, maybe I should add a Solar eclipse/Post-Plantera dungeon/Post-Plantera flail? I mean, is there a progression gap Post-Plantera? After her, you fight the Solar eclipse, Golem and Pumpkin moon. I feel like you could do that with the Flower pow.

I am currently doing a Spears only playthrough to identify gaps in progression. I'll later do a flails only run to identify gaps in their subclass progression.
Feel free to correct me if I didn't identify a gap correctly.
I'm usually more active in vanilla suggestions but i have þoughts on a couple of ðese. Queen's Stinger has a neat design. I'm not sure what exactly you meant by "It will have better crowd control than an average spear". Releasing bees is an obvious choice for a special effect, but what if instead it fires a stinger projectile like QB's? You wanted it to be good against ðe Hungry, so anoðer option could be spawning a piercing bee when you kill an enemy wiþ ðe spear's true melee attack. Overall ðese sound pretty balanced and could work well in vanilla.
I'll have to test out some fights against Wall of flesh but when I fought him, it was hard to get rid of his hungries with the dark lance. I still managed to defeat him in under two minutes with a full tank build but I also want to try to make beating the Wall of flesh viable while using a damage build. Melee tends to struggle against him when they're not using a defense build.

But yeah, a stinger projectile and spawning piercing bees seems fine, though I don't want the Queen's stinger to outclass the Bee Keeper, I want it to perform well for different tasks.
I'll probably give the Queen's stinger a slow, weak projectile that's casted once every second. That projectile has infinite piercings so that way lancers have a way to beat WOF on Legendary mode without cheesing him. Or maybe just make it so that it makes enemies spawn bees after killing them? I'll think about something.

For post Golem there is the Golem fist. I'd also have have to test it against bosses and events of their tiers too since it seems to be balanced.
Golem fist isn’t really a flail though, unless Chain Guillotines and KO Cannon are flails which fair enough.
Isn't Solar eruption a flail? It works like a launched flail, almost.
solar eruption is a whipsword and has even less in common with flails than shortswords do with spears.

I have fought the Wall of Flesh but I couldn't beat him with DPS focused options so I had to tank him.

I also fought Queen Slime. Same story.

I will add spears to fight WoF and QS without needing to be tanking them.

For Queen Slime, you could beat one mech boss and use the Mushroom spear or Gungnir on her but that shouldn't be necessary.

I have fought the Wall of Flesh but I couldn't beat him with DPS focused options so I had to tank him.

I also fought Queen Slime. Same story.

I will add spears to fight WoF and QS without needing to be tanking them.

For Queen Slime, you could beat one mech boss and use the Mushroom spear or Gungnir on her but that shouldn't be necessary.
What about an ore spear for queen slime?

solar eruption is a whipsword and has even less in common with flails than shortswords do with spears.
Can we stop calling Solar Eruption a whip? It is a chained sword (kinda like the Composite sword from Shadow fight 2 if you know) than anything. And Flails are chained melee weapons, so yes, Solar Eruption is a flail.
They're officially classified as launched flails.
Golem fist and KO Cannon is nothing like a flail honestly. And wiki considers Zenith and Starlight as "other" but considers the :red:ing umbrella a sword. I cant really trust the wiki on that.

Can we stop calling Solar Eruption a whip? It is a chained sword (kinda like the Composite sword from Shadow fight 2 if you know) than anything. And Flails are chained melee weapons, so yes, Solar Eruption is a flail.
Fair enough. I'll still probably add a charged flail for Moon Lord either way.
Golem fist and KO Cannon is nothing like a flail honestly. And wiki considers Zenith and Starlight as "other" but considers the :red:ing umbrella a sword. I cant really trust the wiki on that.
Well, they're classified as launched flails like the Anchor, Chain guillotines, Chain knife and Flairon. That's because in previous versions of the game, flails didn't spin around yourself, nor they stayed on the floor with another left click, so they were pretty similar to launched flails.
The umbrella is a sword because it works like how shortswords used to work like.

Can we stop calling Solar Eruption a whip?
I called it a whipsword because that’s what it is. It’s a sword with a segmented blade that can be swung and extended. It’s not like actual whips which aren’t even weapons irl and are used to command/order animals around.
Durendal is also a whipsword but it leans more on the whip side of things than daybreak does in practice.

Well, they're classified as launched flails like the Anchor, Chain guillotines, Chain knife and Flairon. That's because in previous versions of the game, flails didn't spin around yourself, nor they stayed on the floor with another left click, so they were pretty similar to launched flails.
The umbrella is a sword because it works like how shortswords used to work like.
I dont believe KO Cannon and Golem's fist are flails.
And as for Umbrella, those shortsword animations are gone now. It is not a "sword", if we logically speak too.

I called it a whipsword because that’s what it is. It’s a sword with a segmented blade that can be swung and extended.
Whips arent segmented though, I believe. Solar Eruption is a chained sword for me.
Durendal is also a whipsword but it leans more on the whip side of things than daybreak does in practice.
Why did you gave Daybreak as an example? Daybreak is a spear, Durendal is a whip.

Back
Top Bottom