Terraria Community Forums

Matsu
Matsu
The issue is less about Niantic, and more about people from regions without support downloading the game early. They only have the servers ready for the regions they released in, which is why they are getting super overloaded from other regions playing the game early.
Commander Crocket
Commander Crocket
It's clear that even without factoring in those that downloaded the game early, they still lack the capacity to support those that obtained the game legitimately. Not anticipating the game's popularity is one thing, but releasing the game in other countries when they're barely able to handle traffic from those that the game is already available in is just plain silly.
Commander Crocket
Commander Crocket
Not only does this reflect badly upon them as a company due to their poor foresight and planning, but it inevitably alienates those that are truly fans of the franchise, and these are the people who are the most likely to spend money on the game. In that sense, they can only hurt themselves.
Matsu
Matsu
I fail to see how people downloading a game through unofficial means and therefore bombarding the servers before they are ready reflects badly on Niantic. But, to each his own.
Commander Crocket
Commander Crocket
If you insist that the pirates are to blame, there is an easy fix - require a Google account to access the game. This way, those that download the game through illegitimate means can be weeded out.
Theo
Theo
I heard that poodlecorp hacked the servers (by DDoS-ing them) for 4 hours a couple of days ago. It was just a test -as they stated on twitter-, so we're expecting more to come.

My guess is that they either actually got hacked, or the Pokemon Go team are working on security measures.
Commander Crocket
Commander Crocket
There are no pieces of evidence to substantiate Poodlecorp's claims, so for all we know, this could be just another publicity stunt.

As for the latter, I would understand perfectly if Niantic was bolstering their defences in lieu of a potential DDoS attack, but it falls upon them to inform the public of this and any planned developments, and as far as I know, no PSA was issued to this effect.
Back
Top Bottom