Terraria Community Forums

Xylia
Xylia
No stairs at my work, and the only stairs at home are those leading to the basement which I rarely have reason to use...
Hie the Badger
Hie the Badger
You know. It was a joy talking with you. But now. It is skyrim time.
Xylia
Xylia
np, warframe update almost done here so talk to you later.
SnailsAttack
SnailsAttack
@Xylia "And yeah, with produce.... the US threw millions of pounds of perfectly edible safe food into a landfill because of "beauty standards" but yet we got people downright starving on the streets. Such ridiculous waste because people are such spoiled brats."
SnailsAttack
SnailsAttack
I read that this was because we just produced more fresh produce than people actually eat. Probably because it's a hell of a lot easier to grow a :red:load of apples than it is to raise and butcher cattle.
Hie the Badger
Hie the Badger
If a piece was too far gone to eat.. I put it in the compost bin to put back into the garden as fertilizer. But rarely did that happen. Only to the watermelons but you don't really need watermelons. Too intensive to be worth it even in the industry. I'd rather have 4 potatoes in that space. But I digress.
Hie the Badger
Hie the Badger
People would blast their brains straight out their asses if they knew how much more food there is that grows all around us that we don't even put to market. But thats a rant for another time.
Xylia
Xylia
@SnailsAttack : Uh, that's why we have starving homeless people in our cities, right? Because we got so much food that we throw it out because nobody can eat it? That's why prices are so high at the stores, right? Because supply > demand?
Xylia
Xylia
I don't know who told you that, but that (they threw it out because we have too much) is just false. They threw it out because it didn't meet "Beauty Standards". Because they knew people would refuse to buy it because it didn't LOOK good enough. And far be it for them to give it to the homeless or something, no. They'd rather throw it in the landfill.
Hie the Badger
Hie the Badger
If the bees keep getting killed off we won't have produce to :red: about anyway.
Xylia
Xylia
Then those rich people might wonder if it was such a great idea to waste all that perfectly good food when they're starving, lol. See, the poor people are used to being hungry. Take a rich person, though and they'll act like they're dying.
SnailsAttack
SnailsAttack
@Xylia I think some of the problems with getting food to the homeless and other countries and such is that it's an expensive, confusing, and high-effort process in which foods that spoil quickly have to travel long distances, whereas it'd be much easier to just throw the undesirable foods in a landfill some half a mile from your far.
SnailsAttack
SnailsAttack
I think the best solution would be to work on genetic modification of crops with increased shelf lives, bruise resistance, and improved appearance overall. Also better ways to get "undesirable" crops to the homeless and such.
SnailsAttack
SnailsAttack
We also wouldn't have to use as much farmland if the crops we grew were modified to be more resistant to bugs, droughts, frosts, etc.
SnailsAttack
SnailsAttack
Artificial meat could be grown in a lab, but it'll probably be a while before we get anywhere close to making that sort of stuff affordable or desirable.
Xylia
Xylia
I think I will probably refrain from commenting on that... no offense meant of course, it's just... well I realize my views are not popular ones. Either way, suffice it to say, they threw away perfectly good food that could have gone somewhere better than a landfill. They coulda even sold it at discount or something.
Xylia
Xylia
Same BS mentality that grocery stores (I work at one, remember?) use when they throw out of date stuff in the dumpster instead of giving it away or selling it at reduced prices even though its perfectly fine. They know if they do that, they lose a sale. And the bottom fricken line is more important than people having food to eat.
Hie the Badger
Hie the Badger
We came up with GMOs and people almost immediately started raging about them, snails. What do you think will happen if we get lab grown meat? and off shelf food doesn't really have to travel all that far. There are stores everywhere and it could be shipped locally.
Hie the Badger
Hie the Badger
I just have to say how glad I am for stupid people. They created an industry standard that gets me a :red: ton of vegetables for pretty much nothing. I guess profligates are kinda useful.
Xylia
Xylia
I think people are right to be distrustful about GMO and lab-grown meat. We're talking about a bunch of people like Monsanto who have proven again and again that money is all they care about, that they'd screw their own grandmothers over for a buck. (cont)
Back
Top Bottom