Terraria Community Forums

Xylia
Xylia
.....that small-time programmers know how to do better, such as telling you what the computer or program is doing instead of dumping a vague message on the screen with some sort of animated icon. Some of us like to SEE what is going on in case the computer/program locks up. Especially if you are going to lock the entire functionality of the computer behind it, like Windows Update. (cont)
Xylia
Xylia
.... nothing sucks worse and is more annoying than the "100% Complete" hang where your computer says "Configuring Updates" and it says it's "100% Complete" but it sits there.....and sits there.....and sits there... and doesn't tell you what (if anything) it is actually doing. Any other company would have put some kind of something like "installing blah blah file" or "applying changes to blah blah" or what-not.
Xylia
Xylia
And don't EVEN get me started on updating Linux vs updating Windows. The former is done in 30-120 seconds normally and usually can be done without a restart. The latter can take 10+ minutes for small updates and always, Always requires a restart of the entire computer (which can sometimes hang for no reason).
Infinity Mage
Infinity Mage
Also mysterious errors in the update that don't go away.
Xylia
Xylia
Or how earlier on the other computer, it said "updates are ready to install!" and I click on that and it says "There are no updates." ..... wut?
neoselket
neoselket
It is scientifically impossible for me to agree more with this.
E X P A N S I O N P A C K
The reason why Windows became so popular is because it's so easy that anybody that was born with proper electricity in their house can use it.
Xylia
Xylia
That still doesn't explain why it has to run like complete :red:, considering how big of a company Microsoft is, and the kind of programming manpower they have, they are surely capable of coming up with something that can at least compete with their competition. The one and only thing Windows does better, is ease of use. It fails everywhere else.
Xylia
Xylia
Especially now when you have distros that give you a windows-like experience, where most of any apps you could possibly need are on a central server and all all free, something akin to android or something. Once you get some of these set up, a 5 year old could use it.
Well, now Windows has rooted itself by being compatible with every program ever. Mac OS is like Roman-Era Jerusalem and is very unfriendly to outsiders, and then Linux isn't supported enough to compete with Windows... yet.
Xylia
Xylia
My main hope is that Microsoft will continue to annoy people with their recent antics of forcing updates, undoing crap that people set with updates, and their spyware that enough people start going to these more attractive, easy Linux distros. That, and hopefully they get better with stuff like WINE. I'd love to see the day I could kick MS to the curb...
I kinda just want to see another PC revolution, ARM is getting quite powerful, and can even emulate x86 now.
Lunatic Lobbyist
Lunatic Lobbyist
Agreed. Speaking from experience as someone who has had to use a Windows machine for job reasons, and lost/fried 2 computers specifically due to Windows updates, I no longer allow updates to install on my PC's (even with Windows 10).

Whenever I buy or build a new PC, I keep the internet turned off and disable updates immediately after firing it up for the first time.
Back
Top Bottom