Items 🖌️Paint Tools QoL Upgrade🖌️

The area fill or click and drag would make painting whole biomes, or a bunch of trees quite a breeze.
It would also allow you to quickly paint a ton of different stones to the same grey in a build.
The color swap idea would allow pixel art to be way more streamlined.

This has always been a fantastic idea.

How do I know? The LuiAFK Mod, (And currently miningcrack's reboot of it.) feature such a thing perfectly. I'm sure there are other mods that do similar things.

Definitely a life-saver.

This has always been a fantastic idea.

How do I know? The LuiAFK Mod, (And currently miningcrack's reboot of it.) feature such a thing perfectly. I'm sure there are other mods that do similar things.

Definitely a life-saver.
Right? It would be phenomenal if it was in vanilla terraria, because of how available it would be for everyone. I don't really use mods, for example, because I frequently play the game with larger groups of friends and most of us don't use mods. And some platforms have a way harder time modding.

Brush + Roller + Scraper = Painter’s Tools

Press [open/activate] to cycle between functions (similar to Shellphone and Rubblemaker).

Implement the same recipe for the Spectre set.
I'd obviously still appreciate this, however I feel like the shell phone mechanism defeats the whole idea of not having to open your inventory. To "move things around" problem. Perhaps it could swap functions for brush roller and scraper by right-clicking outside of the inventory, like how some of the dungeon defender's weapons have right click functions.

I'd obviously still appreciate this, however I feel like the shell phone mechanism defeats the whole idea of not having to open your inventory. To "move things around" problem. Perhaps it could swap functions for brush roller and scraper by right-clicking outside of the inventory, like how some of the dungeon defender's weapons have right click functions.
I think my post lacked clarity lol. I didn’t mean to suggest having to open your inventory, right click on the tool, and then close your inventory (like with opening a loot bag). I meant to suggest simply right clicking while you have it selected in the hot bar (how the shellphone and rubblemaker work).

I really love this idea, it has crossed my mind several times and I've always thought it would be a great help for builders.

I also came across that a user on twitter (@diamondminercat) suggested it to Red in one of his posts a few weeks ago, he even posted a video with his suggestion working in-game, and it looks great.

This is a GIF of that video (again all credits to @diamondminercat)

Attachments

• @diamondminercat-idea.gif
    9.9 MB · Views: 35
I think my post lacked clarity lol. I didn’t mean to suggest having to open your inventory, right click on the tool, and then close your inventory (like with opening a loot bag). I meant to suggest simply right clicking while you have it selected in the hot bar (how the shellphone and rubblemaker work).
Honestly I had no idea you could right click the shell phone outside the inventory, it's always in my bottom left most inventory slot, when I use it I open my inventory up and my mouse flies there to use it when in a panic. But if it works in the hot bar, then yeah that's perfect for the situation.

Heh Infinite paint bucket
Yeah, add another infinite bucket to the game lol. This reminds me of when I used to play Terraria with my cousins, We would divide ourselves into 2 factions the "Bucketheads" and the "Resistance" it was kinda just regular terraria but when you would bump into the other faction you would have a small fight, also the nature of the bucket heads was more destructive than the resistance. They served more of a terroristic role, like blowing up the resistance's "secret bases" when they would find them.

This sure would be an interesting item to add.
How would the click-and-drag work? Would it be like
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜

*drags from corner to corner*

🟥⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟥⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟥⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥
Or like
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜

*drags again from corner to corner

🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥
🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥
🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥
🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥

There have been quite a few paint-based suggestion recently. I don't disagree that painting could be made more convenient. But I do want to point out (again...) that the Grand Design concept isn't going to be happening. The devs have said that coding the Grand Design was terrible, and they aren't keen to make anything like it again.

-I've noticed when painting my house or some build, the painting tools take up a lot of space in my inventory or hotbar.
-An item that functions like the grand design where you right-click to open a small UI to select what paint tool is active would be super nice and spicy.
-Maybe a paint color picker, so you don't have to swap buckets around in the inventory. Could be within the UI or just using "down" like the Rubblemaker.
-Maybe a click-and-drag function on said paint tool that allows it to cover an area
-Maybe make paint free or cost one item for all colors (might make programming it easier) also so buckets are not in the inventory. Though I feel a color picker would have to be a prerequisite for this one,
-This may help incentivize painting as it would make it much less of a pain in the butt.
-It could also help incentivize making the specter paint tools if this was to be crafted with them.
-I feel like a lot of grand design code could be recycled for this because both place things into the world and would have tool selection UI.
-I'd love to hear your thoughts, this idea is important to me. <3
I've been wanting something like this myself. Experimenting with paint is a pain during building sometimes

This sure would be an interesting item to add.
How would the click-and-drag work? Would it be like
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜

*drags from corner to corner*

🟥⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟥⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟥⬜⬜⬜⬜
🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥
Or like
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜

*drags again from corner to corner

🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥
🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥
🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥
🟥🟥🟥🟥🟥
I think the second one would be more useful for filling the background of a room for example.

Back
Top Bottom