1.3.0.3 Character and World Corrupted

Mizter Poe

Terrarian
So everything was working fine in 1.3.0.2, however once the 1.3.0.3 update came out both my 1.3 character and world have been corrupted. My character is nameless and cannot be selected, and my 1.3 world is called "World" and displays that it is normal (its hardcore) and that it it an "Unknown World" under world size. Attempting to join this world with an old charter causes the game to crash and Windows immediately killed it. Going into the files I found no .bak files. This did not happen to any of my friends so I'm wondering if others are experiencing this too. (NOTE: This is only affecting the world and character created in 1.3, all old characters and worlds are unaffected.
2015-07-02_00005.jpg
2015-07-02_00002.jpg

Last edited:
I have kind of the same problem. If I log out of a world with items other than the beginning copper tools my world and character are corrupted when i try to go back in.

The same exact thing happened to me. I was very far into my world and had just started the lunar event and my world started to lag up alot so i exited the game and restarted my game. I came back to terraria and logged into my character and tried loading my world and it crashed. I tried again and it said "load backup" so I said yes and then the world loaded and then crashed now it doesnt load at all. The world name was "7 seas" and now it doesnt show the name and the world size says "unknown world". Im trying everything to get it back and all i can do now, since its the newest update, is wait for a good response.

The same exact thing happened to me. I was very far into my world and had just started the lunar event and my world started to lag up alot so i exited the game and restarted my game. I came back to terraria and logged into my character and tried loading my world and it crashed. I tried again and it said "load backup" so I said yes and then the world loaded and then crashed now it doesnt load at all. The world name was "7 seas" and now it doesnt show the name and the world size says "unknown world". Im trying everything to get it back and all i can do now, since its the newest update, is wait for a good response.
Yeah I forgot to mention that, before I restarted the world started to lag a lot, so I saved and exited to menu. So then I ended up closing the program like regular and launched the game again to find my files all screwed up :(

Another thing, the title my have been misleading. My character and world were CREATED during 1.3.0.1. I was lagging during a session like I said, downloaded 1.3.0.3 opened it up again to find the screenshots above.

Another thing, the title my have been misleading. My character and world were CREATED during 1.3.0.1. I was lagging during a session like I said, downloaded 1.3.0.3 opened it up again to find the screenshots above.
You could try to troubleshoot the issue (link in signature). I'll add it to my bug list tho.

You could try to troubleshoot the issue (link in signature). I'll add it to my bug list tho.
Yeah I've done most of the stuff you mentioned including getting the XNA Framework, completely reinstalling the game, and I also tried to validate the files through steam which had no success. But thanks for the help

Im using steam version of terraria, and on 1.3.0.4 update my world save got corrupted (world made in 1.3). so i pirated GoG version of 1.3.0.3 terraria runned the world once (loaded up perfectly), then save and quit to desktop runned steam version of terraria 1.3.0.4 and my world loaded up perfectly. hope this helps somone in need

At least two of my worlds have been corrupted this way, one being an expert mode world, and the other a world I was using to host a server on. It takes several days to get as far as early hardmode for a character, due to the amount I am able to play terraria each day, as well as the amount of days per week. I really don't want to spend 3 more days rebuilding this world, even as an end game character.

This same thing happened to me accept it was only my world, last night me and my friends decided to make a new expert world together (we both already beat the game) and everything was working fine, i log on today and when i load the world (with my character i made last night) the screen is a redish tint then it crashes terraria. im to scared to use my main character or main world.

did a bit of experimenting and its only that world, the character is fine i tried him on all my worlds and nothing happened. Hope they fix it

If your game loads up and al the settings are default do NOT use your main character or go onto your main world first, that is the main sign that the world will become broken, just lost my main world with over 100 hours of game play. you better fix your :red:ing :red: Re-Digit

The Same thing Just Happened to my terraria charater and world that had 200 hours and i had just finished the game i cri eri tim

Last edited:
I hate this problem with a passion. I'm relatively new to Terraria, and I made my first real world 2 weeks ago. I beat my first boss and upgraded to platinum tools, and four days after I started I re-opened Terraria and it asked for my language again. I chose english and my character was fine, but my world had no name, changed from crimson to corruption, and said unknown. I couldn't enter it, so I was devastated. After a week of giving up on the game due to this, I created a new world 2 days ago. This time, it asked for my language and the game broke my character AND my world. This problem is game-destroying and needs to be resolved soon.

Those of you with this problem. Have you checked Documents > My Games > Terraria > Players/Worlds to see if the files are still there? They should be named with the extension .plr for player files or .wld for world files. You should also see backup files with the extension .plr.bak (.wld.bak). If you can find these, first make sure the game isn't running. Then try deleting the .plr/.wld file (or moving it elsewhere if you're nervous about deleting it). Finally, rename the .plr.bak (.wld.bak) file as .plr/.wld (just remove .bak from the file name).

Another possible fix would be to simply right click the .plr or .wld file that you're having trouble with and then click Restore previous versions (for Win 7). For Win 8, check this link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/how-use-file-history. I'm less sure about this one, but please give it a shot and let me know if it works.

If you guys can confirm that either or both of these solutions work, we'll be able to help a lot more people with this problem!

Well, I tried solution one. My first world, Verde, had no .bak file, so that was a no go. My second world had one, So I tried it. I launched terraria, and started the world. Surprisingly, it launched. But then the game froze and I got two achievements, rock bottom and into orbit, which essentially means my character was flung around the world in an instant. I'm losing hope at this point, especially since it's happened twice and I don't want to lose another world. P.S my worlds crash if I try to enter them, and after trying the fix my world looked the same, saying unknown and showing hollow instead of crimson.

Back
Top Bottom