PC 1.3 changes

Choir

Pixel Pirate
Hi,
The changelog for 1.3 is here. Many things will be changed, but here are some important points for T-Mec :

Enemy Banners now empower players nearby when facing the same enemy displayed on the banner.
Worlds now keep track of how many enemies have been killed and reward banners for every 50 kills.
The server will announce which player got the 50th kill.
If you're a farmer, you may be interested in this change. Collect banners, place them.

You can now hammer traps to change their direction of fire.
Yeah, why not.

You can now craft Target Dummies to test your damage per second.
May be interesting for traps-based arenas ? :D

There is a 1 in 7 chance that a Hardmode Dungeon monster will spawn on any Hardmode Dungeon backwall.
Dungeon Spirit spawns have been slightly increased.
I know some of you here like to farm in the dungeon. Be cautious with this change.

Fixed a bug where you could spawn a heart/enemy from a statue using wires faster than intended..
So, a heart statue will drop an heart only once every 10 seconds, regardless the nomber of timers ? :(

Fixed bug where dart & spear traps would gain damage bonuses and crit chance from ranged stats in singleplayer.
RIP traps. `:cry:

Fixed a bug where a specific configuration of a slope and tile could cause players to hover in the air.
Fixed a bug where the sloped version of damaging blocks would not hurt players.
I'm not so sure ... but I think it is the end of hoiks-systems. (EDIT : misanderstanding, hoiks aren't affected)

Last edited:
No way on the last one. Loki and Cenx I think as well explicitly stated that they would not fix the Hoik glitch.

Typical Loki, he used some mad phrase like:

"Why would we remove something that is an unintentional glitch, yet one that is also a most serendipitous addition to the game?"

"Enemy Banners now empower players nearby when facing the same enemy displayed on the banner."

My gawd this game is getting complex.

"There is a 1 in 7 chance that a Hardmode Dungeon monster will spawn on any Hardmode Dungeon backwall."

i don't get it, please explain. (I'm on my third bottle of wine).

"Fixed a bug where you could spawn a heart/enemy from a statue using wires faster than intended.."

Ouch. I love going to make a cup of coffee and coming back to find 300 bombs in my inventory :(

"Fixed a bug where a specific configuration of a slope and tile could cause players to hover in the air.
Fixed a bug where the sloped version of damaging blocks would not hurt players."

Na, hoiks are still cool, this is a reference to "damaging blocks", spikes n stuff.

No way on the last one. Loki and Cenx I think as well explicitly stated that they would not fix the Hoik glitch.

Typical Loki, he used some mad phrase like:

"Why would we remove something that is an unintentional glitch, yet one that is also a most serendipitous addition to the game?"

Oh. I get it, so hoiks will still be there next week. My bad. :rolleyes:

"There is a 1 in 7 chance that a Hardmode Dungeon monster will spawn on any Hardmode Dungeon backwall."

i don't get it, please explain. (I'm on my third bottle of wine).

Actually, dongeon monsters spawn depend on the wall (read more here). In 1.3, 1/7 of spawns won't depend of the wall.

Hi,
The changelog for 1.3 is here. Many things will be changed, but here are some important points for T-Mec :

Fixed a bug where a specific configuration of a slope and tile could cause players to hover in the air.
Fixed a bug where the sloped version of damaging blocks would not hurt players.

The first is a reference to the quirky behavior of sloped blocks over a half block, I believe. This configuration leads to the weird Jackson ah hee hee, Jesus on a brick and the slow block-upwards shimmy. These were useless in the first place anyhow.

The second one seems pretty straightforward, and won't effect hoiks in any way. More disconcerting, was the changelog entry referencing a fix for very fast elevators with stacked stairs (which Joe pointed out to me). I think this will prevent entering tiles adjacent to sloped background blocks (wall ghosting) which is fine by me as well. However, it would mean that mounting hoiks with platforms is not possible anymore.

Actually, dongeon monsters spawn depend on the wall (read more here). In 1.3, 1/7 of spawns won't depend of the wall.

Ohhhh, right!

That's a fantastic change. I'm glad they thought outside the box with that one... since my home Dungeon has what is literally 1 tiny corridor's worth of slab(?) so I've seen 0 Ragged Casters, 1 Skeleton Sniper and hardly any Rusty Skeleton Troops even... that'll change thanks to that.

We will lose some damage for spear-based boss farms, but the monster banners will make mob farms stronger.

The biggest change will likely come as a result to the changes to mob and heart statues. I think multiple activation points will be altered so that heart statues will be restricted to 1 heart every 10 seconds instead of 1 heart per activation point every 10 seconds (resulting in 6 hearts per 10 seconds).

Here are the farms that will need redesigning:

1) Ultimate Farm:

This farm uses heart statues to supply the player with 120 life per second. If multiple activation points are fixed, then more heart statues will be required to make this work. We'll see if this is going to be possible.

2) Horseman's Blade Farm:

Instead of using just 2 statues, the statue chamber will have to be expanded to use 6+ statues. So long as the cooldown remains low (0.5sec currently) the Horseman's Blade farm will continue to be very powerful, and possibly the go-to farm against the new events.

The Omega Farm will be weaker due to the spear trap nerf, but might become much stronger if we get stronger minions or stronger summoner gear.

Yup. We still don't know so much about new content. New (martian) traps ? New weapons usable for farming like horseman's blade ? Overpowered snawball cannon ? (oh, please :p)

There is a 1 in 7 chance that a Hardmode Dungeon monster will spawn on any Hardmode Dungeon backwall.
Dungeon Spirit spawns have been slightly increased.
I (Think) That this may break all dungeon farms - if a cursed skull gets into the AFK box it can easily kill the player...

I (Think) That this may break all dungeon farms - if a cursed skull gets into the AFK box it can easily kill the player...

The Cursed Skull is pretty weak and will die on approach. The bigger issue is with the Ragged Casters and Diabolists, which will kill you at any distance. There is a solution though: so long as they are always hit, they won't cast their spells - the spawn surface needs to be buffeted by traps and other areas where the casters could teleport to need to be blocked by a layer of lava.

Is there any information about changes in wiring... perhaps more wiring colors? I have read the change log posted and any other info posted, but did not notice any information regarding wiring. Like that we can now hammer traps though.

So the new update broke almost all of the hoiktronics builds. It looks like they can be fixed, because the issue is with the town NPCs not triggering certain pressure plates on top of teleporters at the end of hoik tracks, and thus not being teleported to the next segment of the mechanism. The hoiking itself seems fine though.

The other part of the problem is that statues got nerfed so that they no longer get activated at multiple activation points. There's an easy workaround in the hoiktronics builds that use statues with multiple activation points, but it'll take a bit of time to update everything. It's a bit strange that the devs nerfed the statues in this way.

Thanks for the update @DicemanX!

So the new update broke almost all of the hoiktronics builds. It looks like they can be fixed, because the issue is with the town NPCs not triggering certain pressure plates on top of teleporters at the end of hoik tracks, and thus not being teleported to the next segment of the mechanism. The hoiking itself seems fine though.

The other part of the problem is that statues got nerfed so that they no longer get activated at multiple activation points. There's an easy workaround in the hoiktronics builds that use statues with multiple activation points, but it'll take a bit of time to update everything. It's a bit strange that the devs nerfed the statues in this way.

I started a brand new playthrough on expert. I made some progress today (it's Canada Day, so I have a day off!) but expert difficulty is no joke. I elected to go with the Reaver Shark --> Hellstone gear/weapons progression route, bypassing all the other armors/weapons (I'll be using this route in the engineer playthrough later). However, I'm currently stuck on Skeletron, because even with a Fiery Greatsword/Flamarang and full Molten gear he's proving to be difficult because you cannot outrun him and his hands are *fast*. The Boulder strategy doesn't work on expert unfortunately, but a hoik strategy most likely will work. I'm also contemplating engineering a nurse-based strategy.

This is seriously a ton of fun, and pre-hardmode actually requires some thought and planning in expert mode - it's not so easy to breeze through the way you can on normal difficulty.

Back
Top Bottom