Weapons & Equip 1.4.1 Balance Retrospective

I don't think that a pre-Hardmode version that could also home would be a good idea.
I mean, it's not a pre-Hardmode version. This is a specific synergy between Star Cloak and Honey Comb, with the Honey Comb otherwise working like its preHM version if there's no Star Cloak to pair it with. In practice, this combo isn't broken at all because 1) it completely replaces your primary weapon, 2) you deal non-negligible damage to yourself over time, 3) it can't be used in midair, 4) it only targets the middle of the screen, and 5) it stops working briefly if anything else damages you since you get more than 8 iframes. Plus, bees are not renowned for having the best movement speed.

Currently, the Star Cloak can deal massive amounts of damage to bosses, with the Minishark (paired with Exploding Bullets) and the right accessories. I don't think that this intentional, it's essentially 1.3 Fetid Baghnakhs 2.0. This became possible because of a bunch of buffs to the Star Cloak: a huge buff to damage, 25 armour penetration, local immunity, and damage scaling in higher difficulties. I don't think that a pre-Hardmode version that could also home would be a good idea.
An easy fix for this would be just making Exploding Bullets not damage the user, since there's no reason they should anyway.

The Bee Cloak is a hardmode accessory, not a prehardmode one. I said specifically that the damage buff would go only to the Bee Cloak for this very reason. Plus, even with doubled damage the bees would never do more than 72 damage, which is a lot less than the Star Cloak's max of 225 damage (plus 25 armor pen). Even considering the bees are homing, I don't think that would be too much for hardmode (especially since it'll only deal that much damage in Master mode).
In order for gravity globe to be a sidegrade to wings, there are two other things I’d do as well: make it flip the player instead of the whole screen like old Gravity Potions so it isn’t completely disorienting to use, and make it increase player fall speed. Those would let you use it kind of as wings, but sacrificing horizontal mobility for vertical speed, and you could use both at the same time as long as you were willing to drop an accessory slot. Item definitely deserves a buff though, and moving it to Lunatic Cultist is smart.
The idea isn't really to make it a sidegrade to wings, but just to make it better than it is now. Like I said in the first post, I want to try to keep these suggestions simple since development on the game is nominally ended. That said, those suggestions would be nice, but I think that just making it negate fall damage would already give it a niche, since it would be the only wing-type accessory to grant infinite flight on its own. Yeah there's the Soaring Insignia, but that takes up an extra accessory slot.

Last edited:
...Also agree with those saying bees should get local immunity, really any damage source that doesn't come directly from a player-used weapon should get local immunity.
It needs to be static immunity not local immunity. If it was changed to local immunity, every bee could hit a single enemy at the same time and damage would increase massively. Static immunity works more like global immunity, only allowing one bee to hit each enemy at a time. My piercing fix plugin makes bees and wasps use static immunity and it seems to preserve balance while resolving most of the issues.
I like this idea, but unless I'm mistaken it would require creating a new projectile, which may be more than the dev team wants to do right now. If that weren't the case, I would be behind it 100%.
They already have a need to to make alternate bee projectiles for magic and ranged damage types to fix existing bugs. I don't think they want to tackle these problems, but to resolve all the issues at once would need significant enough projectile changes that adding one more projectile would not be that far out of scope.

It needs to be static immunity not local immunity. If it was changed to local immunity, every bee could hit a single enemy at the same time and damage would increase massively. Static immunity works more like global immunity, only allowing one bee to hit each enemy at a time. My piercing fix plugin makes bees and wasps use static immunity and it seems to preserve balance while resolving most of the issues.
Ah okay then static immunity was what I meant, I get them confused a lot. Thank you for the correction.

it would still be a great QoL improvement if the speed bonuses on the endgame armors were bumped up just a little.
I've been running a few tests, and I've come to the conclusion that for most practical purposes, movement speed bonuses do almost literally nothing. Movement speed mainly determines how quickly you move on the ground; it has practically no effect on air speed. Every air speed test I ran with Orichalcum Helmet/Gi/Shinobi Infiltrator Pants ended up basically the same as if I were naked. Or when using Vortex stealth, for that matter. If you squint really hard, you might see a tiny difference on horizontal air acceleration, a difference that instantly disappears after equipping a Soaring Insignia. Not that acceleration has any effect on the time it takes to get from point A to point B, since maximum air speed is the same either way.

Considering how endgame players spend 90% of the time in the air when fighting, I think it's fair to call movement speed a useless dump stat. Buffing the movement speed of endgame armors would be about as impactful as buffing the Cute Fishron's crawl speed.

Another Expert item that isn't bad, per se, but isn't really good enough to be Expert-only, either. Its main problem is that it's useless if you aren't using any bee weapons, which are useful for only a very short portion of the game. To fix this, I'd suggest giving the Hive Pack a chance to spawn bees when hitting enemies with any weapon, something like 10% per hit.
I've seen So many people trying to fix hive pack, but it just... doesn't have a point. After all, if you stripe all of the fancy stuff out, it's just a plain non-percentage damage boost that relies on your fire rate, which also gets less and less useful the further you gets in the game, only works well on weapons like minishark, and not even megashark, and for weapons like these, there is a high chance that armor pen might do even better. In my opinion, expert items need to be unique and at best, situational and useful in situated places, which applys to most of them. Ever heard of something called "bee enchantment"? It is an accessory added by Fargo's Soul Mod. It spawns bees that only hit once (so no iFrame) with a high chance of about 25%, while each deals 100% of the non-crit damage of the hit spawned it, but can only spawn upon piercing hits. It makes early powerful support for piercing weapons, which is both unique, situational, and useful if you used it right. Of course, there is a 100% chance it is overpowered in 1.4 (cough cough, buffed razorblade typhoon/nightglow), but you know, you can always nerf it as needed.

I've seen So many people trying to fix hive pack, but it just... doesn't have a point. After all, if you stripe all of the fancy stuff out, it's just a plain non-percentage damage boost that relies on your fire rate, which also gets less and less useful the further you gets in the game, only works well on weapons like minishark, and not even megashark, and for weapons like these, there is a high chance that armor pen might do even better. In my opinion, expert items need to be unique and at best, situational and useful in situated places, which applys to most of them. Ever heard of something called "bee enchantment"? It is an accessory added by Fargo's Soul Mod. It spawns bees that only hit once (so no iFrame) with a high chance of about 25%, while each deals 100% of the non-crit damage of the hit spawned it, but can only spawn upon piercing hits. It makes early powerful support for piercing weapons, which is both unique, situational, and useful if you used it right. Of course, there is a 100% chance it is overpowered in 1.4 (cough cough, buffed razorblade typhoon/nightglow), but you know, you can always nerf it as needed.
Uh... the Hive Pack only affects bee weapons and Honey Comb and its tinkers, which become useless after the WoF. Why are you talking about the Minishark and the Megashark? Also the Hive Pack converts friendly bees into more powerful bees, it isn't a non-percentage damage boost.

I've been running a few tests, and I've come to the conclusion that for most practical purposes, movement speed bonuses do almost literally nothing. Movement speed mainly determines how quickly you move on the ground; it has practically no effect on air speed. Every air speed test I ran with Orichalcum Helmet/Gi/Shinobi Infiltrator Pants ended up basically the same as if I were naked. Or when using Vortex stealth, for that matter. If you squint really hard, you might see a tiny difference on horizontal air acceleration, a difference that instantly disappears after equipping a Soaring Insignia. Not that acceleration has any effect on the time it takes to get from point A to point B, since maximum air speed is the same either way.

Considering how endgame players spend 90% of the time in the air when fighting, I think it's fair to call movement speed a useless dump stat. Buffing the movement speed of endgame armors would be about as impactful as buffing the Cute Fishron's crawl speed.
The idea isn't to help when fighting, it's to speed things up when you're walking around your base or building or doing all the non-fighting things you'll spend most of your time doing after beating the Moon Lord. I specifically said this in the first post. It's a QoL improvement, not a difficulty adjustment.

The point is to make the Hive Pack viable beyond the tiny portion of the game where it's viable currently. That's all. I'm not trying to make it viable right up until Moon Lord, just longer than it is right now. I'm also not trying to overhaul its mechanics completely, since these are meant to be relatively small suggestions that are easy to implement. Even if all of these suggestions were implemented, some of the items listed would still be not very good, but the point is to push them toward ideal balance as much as possible while requiring as little time from the devs as possible.

I can actually relate to the move speed issue. On my first Master mode playthrough I made a cramped base with narrow halls, bascily forcing me to walk through it.
I didn't have any boots accesories because the soaring insgina meant I never needed them for actual combat.
I noticed a speed reduction running through my base when I upgraded from spooky to stardust, since the spooky legs have 20% move speed and stardust does not.

I can actually relate to the move speed issue. On my first Master mode playthrough I made a cramped base with narrow halls, bascily forcing me to walk through it.
I didn't have any boots accesories because the soaring insgina meant I never needed them for actual combat.
I noticed a speed reduction running through my base when I upgraded from spooky to stardust, since the spooky legs have 20% move speed and stardust does not.

I’ve actually had the opposite problem. Celestial Starboard and Soaring Insignia appear to add to ground movespeed *as well as* airborne speed and I often find myself speeding past where I want to go, past chests or off ledges or roofs, etc. Really annoying when building horizontally because I throw myself into where I’m trying to build.

Still the worst Frost Moon drop, even after its buff in 1.4. Tbh there is no reason any post-Plantera item should inflict On Fire, since even by late prehardmode 4 DPS is negligible. I suggest making it inflict Frostbite like the Frost Armor, along with making its fire blue to match.
The stake launcher completely out classes the elf melter, it come from an easier event has almost twice the dps, more range, pierces more, has less damage falloff, and has cheaper ammo. Giving the elf melter a flat 16 extra dps come nowhere close to fixing this.

I’ve actually had the opposite problem. Celestial Starboard and Soaring Insignia appear to add to ground movespeed *as well as* airborne speed and I often find myself speeding past where I want to go, past chests or off ledges or roofs, etc. Really annoying when building horizontally because I throw myself into where I’m trying to build.
Soaring Insignia adds 2 mph to your ground speed, Celestial Starboard doesn't add anything.

So after having a bit of time to play with the current game balance as of 1.4.1.2, I think that the game for the most part is more balanced than ever before, but I do have a few suggestions. Since content development is ended and the devs are moving on to other projects now, these suggestions are all ones that I think would be pretty easy to implement, i.e. no new items or mechanics, although I'm not a coder so I could be wrong about some of them. Anyway, I don't know how likely the devs are to implement any more balance tweaks at this time, but I think that these changes would definitely help polish off the game and leave it as reasonably balanced as it could be.

After 1.4 and 1.4.1 buffed the Rainbow Crystal Staff, the Lunar Portal Staff now finds itself basically outclassed. Since there's no longer any incentive to use multiple types of sentries, and the RCS now performs better than the LPS in pretty much every situation, there's no reason ever to use the LPS unless it happens to drop first. I think an ideal buff would be something like letting the LPS fire multiple beams at once, but short of that, increasing its base damage to around 80-100 would also be nice. (Honestly, I would actually buff both the RCS and LPS to like 180 and 120 damage respectively, since they're both still underwhelming compared to other Moon Lord drops - even considering that they're only supposed to be support - but if you're just trying to bring the LPS up to par with the RCS, then something like 90 would work.)
Still the worst Frost Moon drop, even after its buff in 1.4. Tbh there is no reason any post-Plantera item should inflict On Fire, since even by late prehardmode 4 DPS is negligible. I suggest making it inflict Frostbite like the Frost Armor, along with making its fire blue to match.
Even after its speed buff, it's still just too slow to be worth it even with its insane range. I suggest changing its mining speed to like 4. That way it'll still be slower than the Luminite Drills and Luminite Pickaxes/Picksaw + a decent mining speed setup, but not too much slower.
It's not trash anymore, but it still needs something to compete with the Firecracker. Ideally something like, having the snowflake tag enemies instead of dealing damage itself, but short of that, changing the Frostburn debuff to Frostbite would help give it an edge.
It's better than before but still outclassed by the Xeno Staff, mostly because of its accuracy. The best thing for it would be to let the Sharknadoes shoot while moving to reduce the amount of downtime, or else try to get closer to enemies when shooting. Failing that, I'd honestly suggest just raising the projectile velocity again, because right now it isn't enough.
All the same critiques as for the Tempest Staff tbh. I'd make the same suggestions for the Pygmies as for the Sharknadoes.
All caps because out of everything on this list, this is the thing I personally want the most, lol. Put simply: MORE SPEED PLS. Sure, there are wings that can give you plenty of speed, but it would still be a great QoL improvement if the speed bonuses on the endgame armors were bumped up just a little. At endgame most of your time is spent building or doing other menial things instead of fighting (and when you do fight most things will melt in seconds anyway), so speed bonuses are honestly more appreciated than combat ones. I don't think it would be too much to ask for the Luminite armors to have their speed bumped up to be at least on par with the Tavernkeep armors, so around 20-30% each. I'd suggest 30% for Solar Flare, 20% for the other three.
After the introduction of the Celestial Starboard, the Luminite Wings basically have no purpose in Expert and Master modes anymore. They are still useful in Classic, but even in Classic I think the game would benefit from the following simple change: removing the Luminite from the Luminite Wings' recipes. This would make them craftable before the Moon Lord fight, which would give players better mobility in that fight than before, but tbh I think it would benefit the fight as a whole. Sure, it would be easier, but I don't think it would make it that much easier, and imo it would also make it more fun.
Please for the love of god give this autofire. Would probably need a damage nerf along with it, but the lack of autofire on a weapon this fast is so prohibitive that it'd be worth it.
Its DPS is just not high enough to compensate for its short range, especially considering the Fetid Baghnakhs are available before it and do like twice as much DPS. Honestly, I would suggest tripling, yes tripling, the Arkhalis's base damage, or else increasing its slash size dramatically.
A similar case to the Arkhalis, though slightly less dire. But like the Arkhalis, Starlight's DPS, while high, just isn't enough to compensate for its short range, so I'd suggest either increasing its range by about 50% or buffing its base damage to like 90-100.
They're definitely not bad, but they're just not as good as the Stardust Dragon. Their main problem is just plain DPS: yes, they fire extra shots at targets you're actively attacking, but not only is this still not enough to keep up, but those extra shots frequently do nothing because the target is still invulnerable from the attack you just hit it with. I'd suggest increasing their fire rate by something like 30-50%. That sounds like a lot, but even then, the Stardust Dragon will still do more DPS; the goal isn't to make the Cells as strong as the Dragon, but rather to close the gap just enough that their crowd control advantages outweigh their lower damage.
It's not bad by any means, but it's not all that good, either. The problem is how slow the spores are, as well as the fact they can only spawn near blocks and walls. If they could spawn anywhere on the screen, and they chased enemies a bit faster, then the Spore Sac would be more worthy of its status as an expert mode item.
It's pretty bad. I think either the damage or fire rate of the projectiles should be increased, but also their velocity and/or range needs some help.
Even after its 1.4 buff, it's still not really worth the slot. I'd suggest bumping up the duration of its honey buff to around 15 or 20 seconds. This buff would also apply to all of its tinkers.
In addition to the Honey Comb buff suggested above, the Bee Cloak needs an even further buff if it's going to compete as a hardmode item. I'd suggest that its bees deal double their current damage, possibly with some defense penetration, so that it can actually dent hardmode enemies. This would only affect the Bee Cloak, not the other items in its family.
Another Expert item that isn't bad, per se, but isn't really good enough to be Expert-only, either. Its main problem is that it's useless if you aren't using any bee weapons, which are useful for only a very short portion of the game. To fix this, I'd suggest giving the Hive Pack a chance to spawn bees when hitting enemies with any weapon, something like 10% per hit.
One of the worst magic weapons, mainly because it needs the target to be either near blocks or near the player to hit them. Increasing the length of the thorns would help alleviate this. I suggest roughly doubling their length, if not more.
Its tooltip is literally a lie. It only protects you from a few debuffs, and as a result, it isn't really worth using beyond the very beginning of hardmode. I suggest giving it additional immunities to On Fire, Frozen, Ichor, and Cursed Inferno, or at the very least the first two. In fact, it would be a nice buff if the Obsidian Skull and all of its tinkers gave immunity to On Fire on top of Burning, and I don't think it would be broken at all.
Even the recent buff just wasn't enough to make it good. Instead of doubling damage on the first hit - or maybe in addition to it - my idea would be to have the Breaker Blade inflict Broken Armor on enemies, halving their defense. This wouldn't necessarily make it better in all situations, but it would give it a niche that would make it worth using alongside other weapons.
Its biggest weakness is its poor range, and while there's no real way to fix this without giving it a projectile, it would help at least a little if it were made a bit bigger. Also, it wouldn't affect its combat viability at all, but I've always thought that it should be able to open locked chests and crates, excluding the biome ones in the Dungeon.
There isn't much that could make it good, but I do have a couple of suggestions that could increase the chances of players actually using it: first, giving it immunity to fall damage so it can serve as a replacement for wings (even if it'll still be very janky), and second, making it drop from the Lunatic Cultist instead of the Moon Lord. The Moon Lord already has two other Expert drops anyway while the Cultist has none, so it seems only fair.

I'll probably add more things as they occur to me, but feel free to discuss in the meantime.
Really elf melter that thing is good for ke

Must be the combination of them. I swear after I equip Insignia I get an annoying amount of ground speed and acceleration.
idk what it is but the Starboard has nothing to do with it. Wings never have any effect on your ground movement, and the Starboard is no exception. I just tested it myself to make sure.

So after doing some more testing and thinking, I've added more suggestions to the list including ones for the Lunar Flare, Enchanted Boomerang, Stake Launcher, and Nano Bullets/Flasks. I also edited some existing suggestions to incorporate new feedback or information, and removed a few that I decided weren't that big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Cool Whip tagging enemies would work, but it shouldn’t be 10 (that’s more than Durendal!) I’d put the tag damage at 7, equal to Spinal Tap and 2 lower than Durendal, for 2 reasons: 1, you have the snowflake and debuff doing damage already, and 2, you don’t want it to be too strong with Blade.

For Lunar Flare, I’d honestly make it a crowd focused weapon. It’s not that hard to aim - the projectiles are quick and accurate to your cursor, making it pretty focused. The issue is not it being weak, just how much better Last Prism is. I’d make Last Prism a single target beam and keep it from piercing enemies, and then increase the spread and explosion size of Lunar Flare.

Gem Hooks being harder to make probably isn’t the optimal solution, people usually want to have a hook asap and locking the gem hooks behind this gate would make them a bit later on. I’d just buff the drop rate of hooks like you said and then buff Grappling Hook, make it a sidegrade rather than downgrade. When Gem Hooks aren’t considered too strong, buffing the other options would be taken much better than nerfing the gem hooks.

Nano Bullets aren’t completely a poor man’s Chlorophyte: they’ve got better damage, but more importantly, you can buy them. Chlorophyte is a scarce resource and chlorophyte farms are slow, so just being able to buy pseudo-homing outright makes them pretty helpful for when you don’t want to waste Chlorophyte, such as during longer events. Maybe confusion should be temoved from both and Flask of Nanites just needs its own effect altogether, you don’t need Confusion by post-Plantera and it’s often unhelpful.

Everything else I see on here after the update is good.

Last edited:
Unlike most other things on this list, I think it's way too strong compared to when you can get it in the game. Making it craftable for the cost of only 1 Fallen Star is just ridiculous for a weapon this potent. I think that, at the very least, it should require a Mana Crystal instead of a Fallen Star, as well as an Anvil for its crafting station. That might still be too easy, so another suggestion would be to add a gem (such as a Ruby, since it looks like it has one on its sprite) to its recipe.
How is this thing too strong? Here's a few around its tier I'd say are roughly as strong:

A blowpipe using seeds has the same base damage as this thing, and the boomerang can have more/less attack speed depending on distance.

Wand of sparking has roughly the same damage but trades knockback for a pierce.

Poisoned knives are obtained roughly the same way (wood chest item + cheap material), they may be limited as a consumable but they are better than the enchanted boomerang at literally everything else.

Putting a ruby in its recipe means it has to compete with the likes of: gold bow, ruby staff, mace, ice blade, or snowball cannon.
I would say that all these weapons are much more useful than the enchanted boomerang.

Nano Bullets aren’t completely a poor man’s Chlorophyte: they’ve got better damage, but more importantly, you can buy them. Chlorophyte is a scarce resource and chlorophyte farms are slow, so just being able to buy pseudo-homing outright makes them pretty helpful for when you don’t want to waste Chlorophyte, such as during longer events. Maybe confusion should be temoved from both and Flask of Nanites just needs its own effect altogether, you don’t need Confusion by post-Plantera and it’s often unhelpful.
Nano bullets need to bounce once before getting any sort of 'homing' effect at which point they lose 1/3 of their damage, which negate thier higher base damage advantage.
Also its your main reason for them not being a poor man's chloro bullet is that they're cheaper?

Back
Top Bottom