1.4 Was Overall A Great Update, however, in some areas there were major let downs.

Yeah, I fought Golem with 4 other people and he was still pathetically easy. The only change I saw was that he could jump through the Temple’s ceiling.

It’s so weird to me that they fleshed out Summoner as much as they have, but it’s still considered just a sub-class. I’d say to go one way or the other, but the devs have already put in so much work for Summoner, and Leinfors will not be happy about scrapping anything, so it really should get the full-class treatment while still only being at its strongest when hybridizing. Unlike with other classes, Summoners have so few options that they basically have to use the same Summoner gear every playthrough, and some folks can’t even USE Summoner gear right away because all of the PreHardmode stuff, except the Leather Whip, is confusingly rare.
Yeah honestly I just wish there were more additions to summoner. They don’t have to be INSANE or OP, just more options and variations for the player to choose from. I thought this update was going to be the one that gave summoner just as much expansion as the other classes.

Yeah honestly I just wish there were more additions to summoner. They don’t have to be INSANE or OP, just more options and variations for the player to choose from. I thought this update was going to be the one that gave summoner just as much expansion as the other classes.
I also thought that but it just gave it more stable progression which is welcome in my books as 1.3 summoner progression was rough

Yeah, I fought Golem with 4 other people and he was still pathetically easy. The only change I saw was that he could jump through the Temple’s ceiling.

It’s so weird to me that they fleshed out Summoner as much as they have, but it’s still considered just a sub-class. I’d say to go one way or the other, but the devs have already put in so much work for Summoner, and Leinfors will not be happy about scrapping anything, so it really should get the full-class treatment while still only being at its strongest when hybridizing. Unlike with other classes, Summoners have so few options that they basically have to use the same Summoner gear every playthrough, and some folks can’t even USE Summoner gear right away because all of the PreHardmode stuff, except the Leather Whip, is confusingly rare.
After thinking about this for a bit, I don't think Red considers any of the classes to be played exclusively pure. It would explain some of his weirder choices... And also, summoner in early hardmode has multiple options, and isn't nearly as limited as in prehardmode.

Honestly, all that summoner needs is a single earlygame minion that doesn't require multiple layers of ridiculous RNG to obtain, and a lot of it's problems would be solved.

Last edited:
After thinking about this for a bit, I don't think Red considers any of the classes to be played exclusively pure. It would explain some of his weirder choices... And also, summoner in early hardmode has multiple options, and isn't nearly as limited as in prehardmode.

Honestly, all that summoner needs is a single earlygame minion that doesn't require ridiculous layers of multiple RNG to obtain, and a lot of it's problems would be solved.
Let’s hope and pray that they add another summon weapon or 2 for early game that are easy to obtain in 1.4.1

My main gripe is that summoners are still affected by the passive nerf that occurred to sentries in the Dungeon Defender's update. IMO sentry limit should only be applied to the DD sentries while the Terrarian sentries should be reverted to the old system. If not then I propose two other solutions.
Option 1: Give Spooky and Stardust armor +1 sentry so that they can use 2 hydras/portals/crystals without using a DD accessory.
Option 2: Make the pygmy necklace able to combine with any of the four DD accessories (they would result in different accessories but could not stack with the huntress, monk, squire, apprentice or pygmy items).

I would just like to start off by saying that 1.4 was a fantastic update, and possessed some very good additions. However, in some areas, there were let downs that the community and myself were very disappointed in.
1.Golem Buff-It was stated that golem would be receiving a buff, and that he “had a few tricks up his sleeve” but I noticed no difference and several other players noticed nothing new with him, and found him still easier than plantera.
2. Master mode-while I did know that master mode was only going to be stat changes and minimal drop changes, many people on discord and throughout the community were disappointed in the lack of ai changes. Many feel that there isn’t much incentive to play, and they wish there was just a few new ai in some of the bosses.
3. Summoner-Me and many others throughout the community felt that summoner is still very much lacking after 1.4. we feel that while whips are a good addition, the extremely low defense of the summoner class really negates it. We would wish to see summoner receive more defense, as ranger has much more range, rather than a summoner who has to stick relatively close to the boss. A few new headpieces for summoner on the hardmode ores and a new set of armor post plantera would be amazing. Also we REALLY wished to see a moon lord summon drop that wasn’t a sentry, and a whip drop. We also feel that pre bosses could use some more summon weapons, as the finch staff is quite rare.
4. No Snow Biome Updates- Many of us were frustrated that the desert received ANOTHER update in 1.4, but the snow biome wasn’t touched. We wish there would be more incentive to go there, such as some more exclusive items or maybe even an exclusive ore, similar to desert fossil.
5. Npc Unhappiness- While npc happiness is a great feature, many were upset that the game punishes is for putting the npcs where we want them and building one huge base to house them.

Please comment down below any more suggestions/ feedback regarding 1.4. Thank you for reading this if you made it this far
Golem is a sad joke of a boss at the very least they should have given Golem the ability to pass through blocks while leaping. Perhaps the leap could even get an AOE in its later stages say radiation from Golem's core bursting out?
It could also have used a few additional attacks based off its drops. For instance as it gets damaged cracks in its body could allow beetles living inside it to come out and attack the player as it gets damaged also better justifying the beetle husk drops. Perhaps smaller variants of Mushi Ladybugs except more dangerous with the ability to pass through blocks? Perhaps the husks would even drop from them forcing Melee players to prolong the fight long enough to get enough beetle husks to make their armor. The Stynger similarly could make for a formidable attack which would help add some challenge with a high damage attack. Additionally while not a specific buff to Golem, Golem's loot pool is pretty biased and crowded. It would be less monotonous if the Golem Eye and Sun stone dropped separately like the PickSaw. Also my OCD requires me to point out that the number of weapons for each class damage type are unequal 1 ranged 2 magic 2 melee and 0 summoner. This bothers me as Relogic expressed desire to see more dart use why can't Golem have been given a dart weapon for example? Or say a beetle minion or a single Golem head sentry which floats above the player getting upgraded based on the number of sentry slots so much missed potential there, It doesn't even feel like a boss to me...

As for Master mode yes it is a problem due to fake difficulty stat inflation doesn't make the game more difficult only more unforgiving as you can use the same tactics as Expert mode only the enemies are fatter and mistakes will be punished more. Tedium does not equal difficulty only make the game more frustrating and unbalanced.

Yeah classes it should be remembered are a player invented thing the separate damage types exist more to separate what gets bonuses with what there is a reason why you can use any weapon because that is how the game was designed.
As for armor Summoner already has more post Plantera armor sets than the other classes.

Regarding The Finch Staff I feel part of the problem is its exclusivity to living wood tree chests which either half the time carry the finch staff or the living wood wands. As someone who likes to make or modify living wood trees it kinda annoys me that they don't
Personally I feel it would have been better to either:
1)Make the Finch staff a standard surface chest item
2)Have the finch staff appear alongside the living wood wand & living leaf wand
3)Some combination of the above perhaps with the weapons currently not obtainable from wooden crates as main items in a living tree and wands separately. Then add a say wooden box which contains those surface chest weapons sort of like the golden lock box or obsidian lock box without the need for a key. Something similar could be done with golden chest items not obtainable from crates to get rid of the rage inducement when you can't find x item etc.
On a related note is Pyramids I hate how they still have a separate chest inventory from sandstone chests. I wouldn't mind if the flying carpet and pharaohs clothes were part of a separate chest perhaps a literal sarcophagus variant chest, but the sandstorm in a bottle should be a sandstone chest item.... Thus far I have only found a single pyramid in the many worlds I have made though I have only really been exploring and pillaging the dungeon underground desert and doing a brief venture into he caverns/underworld for world gen decoration items so if the Pyramid is deep enough below one of the deserts there is a nonzero chance their could be one somewhere.
To be honest I'm not sure what the ice biome could really need as it apparently is intended more as a slightly harder but slightly more rewarding alternative to the normal underground etc. I do kind of wish it had a mage and or summoner weapon like how the pyramid does(In fact I kind wish the underground loot pools each had a weapon for each damage type but that is an OCD nitpick rather than a balance thing) point is I don't really think the snow biome needs much else since there isn't really room in the progression for one. I guess an early summoner could be an option but that would be way earlier in progression than any of the other class specialization armors...without some kind of post evil boss gating or difficulty. (Remember that Desert Fossil's mechanics in 1.4 punish mining without explosives so the demolitionist is strongly advised for harvesting them if you want enough that the extractonator can help you. Plus the evil biomes, with their chasms/chambers and boss are all far easier to explore/kill than the highly knock back resistant underground desert enemies and death traps. I would be all for more ice caverns content but it never seemed likely as at least the ice biome actually had content.... The desert just used regular underground loot which was pitiful for its difficulty.

Regarding NPC happiness it is a bit annoying but you can space NPCs farther apart but still in the same general area which helps

My main gripe is that summoners are still affected by the passive nerf that occurred to sentries in the Dungeon Defender's update. IMO sentry limit should only be applied to the DD sentries while the Terrarian sentries should be reverted to the old system. If not then I propose two other solutions.
Option 1: Give Spooky and Stardust armor +1 sentry so that they can use 2 hydras/portals/crystals without using a DD accessory.
Option 2: Make the pygmy necklace able to combine with any of the four DD accessories (they would result in different accessories but could not stack with the huntress, monk, squire, apprentice or pygmy items).
Yeah this is a big gripe of mine as well that said I don't see it changing at all but option 1 and 2 seem like good ideas which would benefit the game.
Personally it would also be a missed opportunity to not add a few more non DD sentries as the DD sentries are pretty lackluster outside the event only the Ballista has any actual potential value to be gained outside the OOA event. Also a missed opportunity to put the actual hydra in the frost hydra staff to use... Imagine if for each additional sentry slot it gained an additional head and got bigger and more accurate?

Honestly, all that summoner needs is a single earlygame minion that doesn't require multiple layers of ridiculous RNG to obtain, and a lot of it's problems would be solved.
Basically just this.
Easier access to the Finch Staff would be one welcome change. But most of all, I'm still in awe at how many hoops you need to jump through to get the Vampire Frog. I say, either raise his drop rate or let Chum Casters fish blood moon enemies at any time of day (or night).

I agree with these points.
Additionally, I'd like it if the Bewitching Table and Summoning Potion added an additional sentry on top of their +1 minion bonus.
A new use for the Pygmy Necklace would be nice too.

That being said, I love 1.4, but it's definitely not perfect.
NPC happiness alone is a nice incentive to build stuff in favor of cheaper prices and such. That should be all we need; not NPC unhappiness, which can potentially kill creativity. Gosh forbid I have to spend an extra 40 gold on my Clentaminator just because the Steampunker doesn't like the huge base I've spent 50 hours on.
I would rant about how much I want the Master Mode we could've gotten, compared to the stat bloat we're stuck with instead. But I would be here all day. Instead I'll be silently planning a big wall of text in the future if nothing's changed by the next update.

The only change I could think of that Master Mode could have done is make the Twins share their health and have them enter phase 2 at half health like they originally did. Removing the ability to make the boss easier by focusing one at a time.

I, personally, am enjoying master mode. In expert I was able to make far more mistakes now and master mode it having me fine tune my skills and load outs to come out on top. Having 7 accessory slots is incredibly helpful for this. I have plenty of space for damage, mobility, and defense. I'm currently at the Duke Fishron/Martain phase and preparing for EoL and Old One's Army 3.

I would just like to start off by saying that 1.4 was a fantastic update, and possessed some very good additions. However, in some areas, there were let downs that the community and myself were very disappointed in.
1.Golem Buff-It was stated that golem would be receiving a buff, and that he “had a few tricks up his sleeve” but I noticed no difference and several other players noticed nothing new with him, and found him still easier than plantera.
2. Master mode-while I did know that master mode was only going to be stat changes and minimal drop changes, many people on discord and throughout the community were disappointed in the lack of ai changes. Many feel that there isn’t much incentive to play, and they wish there was just a few new ai in some of the bosses.
3. Summoner-Me and many others throughout the community felt that summoner is still very much lacking after 1.4. we feel that while whips are a good addition, the extremely low defense of the summoner class really negates it. We would wish to see summoner receive more defense, as ranger has much more range, rather than a summoner who has to stick relatively close to the boss. A few new headpieces for summoner on the hardmode ores and a new set of armor post plantera would be amazing. Also we REALLY wished to see a moon lord summon drop that wasn’t a sentry, and a whip drop. We also feel that pre bosses could use some more summon weapons, as the finch staff is quite rare.
4. No Snow Biome Updates- Many of us were frustrated that the desert received ANOTHER update in 1.4, but the snow biome wasn’t touched. We wish there would be more incentive to go there, such as some more exclusive items or maybe even an exclusive ore, similar to desert fossil.
5. Npc Unhapiness- While npc hapiness is a great feature, many were upset that the game punishes is for putting the npcs where we want them and building one huge base to house them.

Please comment down below any more suggestions/ feedback regarding 1.4. Thank you for reading this if you made it this far
I agree with 1.4 being mediocre.

Mastermode in my opinion is hot garbage for bad drops, I don't want extra furniture, I just want extra gear like expert mode or slightly increased drops. The Dutchmen is broken making the game easier. Summoner Class has been half addressed. My main problem they need to boost the types of summons and add extra types of magic weapons a tad. A pre-hardmode first summon armor not being the last. Once you kill Queen Bee, you get a first summon gear? WHAT? That irritated me for a long time. As it is a gear that is basically saying.... So boost 4 items in pre-hardmode that is half awful weapons and half decent? Example I find the sentries very good, but slime staff is straight up terrible drop rates. We need craftable summoner weapons, but incentivize a reason or even have weapon upgrades.

Back
Top Bottom