Sprites A collection of trap ideas

Typu

Terrarian
This thread is all about new trap ideas I had thought up. Enjoy!

Laser Trap

GFM7fs9.png

Material

Rarity: Light Red

Description:

The Laser Trap fires a purple laser identical to ones fired by Retinazer in its first phase and can pierce an infinite number of targets.

The laser travels faster than the darts fired from a Dart Trap and emits a purple light.

The lasers deal 60/120/180 damage to players (30 damage to NPCs, enemies, and critters).

Crafting Recipe

Crafting station:

Workbench

Ingredients:

Dart Trap

Lens

Ruby

Soul of Sight x5

Death Laser Trap

jL0rYtS.png

Rarity: Pink

Description:

The Death Laser Trap fires a red laser identical to ones fired by Retinazer in its second phase and can pierce an infinite number of targets.

The laser travels faster than the darts fired from a Dart Trap and emits a red light.

The lasers deal 140/210/280 damage to players (70 damage to NPCs, enemies, and critters).

Crafting Recipe

Crafting station:

Workbench

Ingredients:

Laser Trap

Super Dart Trap

Hallowed Bar x5

Wire x10

Cursed Fire Trap

fHitBO3.png

Material

Description:

The Cursed Fire Trap fires a cursed fireball identical to ones fired by Spazmatism in its first phase and can pierce an infinite number of targets.

The fireball travels slower than the darts fired from a Dart Trap and emit a green light.

The fireballs deal 60/110/160 damage and inflicts Cursed Inferno for 4/5/6 seconds to players (30 damage and 4 seconds to NPCs, enemies, and critters).

Crafting Recipe

Crafting station:

Workbench

Ingredients:

Dart Trap

Lens

Cursed Flame

Soul of Sight x5

Cursed Flame Trap

DYSyje2.png

Rarity: Pink

Description:

The Cursed Flame Trap fires a jet of cursed flames identical to one that is spewed by Spazmatism in its second phase and will pierce an infinite number of targets.

The jet of cursed flames deals 80/160/240 damage to players (40 damage to NPCs, enemies, and critters).

Unlike the Flame Trap, this trap can function through all liquids.

Crafting Recipe

Crafting station:

Workbench

Ingredients:

Cursed Fire Trap

Flame Trap

Hallowed Bar x5

Wire x10

Beat Box

cQezvhy.png

Description:

The Beat Box is a trap that launches a chained boxing glove that can pierce an infinite number of targets and retracts upon hitting either a solid block or its maximum range.

The boxing glove deals 60/120/180 damage to players (30 damage to NPCs, enemies, and critters).

Projectile fired:

NYXbbnC.png

Crafting Recipe

Crafting station:

Workbench

Ingredients:

Leather

Stone Block x30

Wire x5

Cog x5

Frog Traps are traps that serve to pull characters away rather than deal damage to them.

The projectiles launched by these traps are tongues that retract after hitting a solid block, its maximum range, or a character.

Unlike the spears from Spear Traps, only the tip of the tongue from these traps count as a projectile.

LwgpWGz.png

Characters struck by the tongue are inflicted with the Towed debuff.

m7BDjuy.png

Tooltip:

You are being pulled!

While inflicted with the Towed debuff, characters are pulled towards the trap that struck them.

Characters cannot move while being pulled by the tongue, but can still use items.

Characters are not freed from the trap until they reach the trap that pulled them or hit a solid block in the return path.

Note: The green space is where a player will end up after being struck.

lqLMUrt.png

LtqmZYP.png

Characters can be freed from the trap early if anything that can teleport characters is used.

Frog Trap

r1caoRl.png

Material

Rarity: Green

Description:

Deals no damage to characters, but will instead pull them towards it.

Players, NPCs, enemies, and critters can be pulled by this trap.

Projectile fired:

Ey5DouF.png

Crafting Recipe

Crafting station:

Workbench

Ingredients:

Frog

Stone Block x30

Wire x5

Cog x5

Poison Dart Trap

LIuMa49.png

Rarity: Orange

Description:

Pulls players in and inflicts them with Poisoned while being pulled in and for 8/14/20 seconds after being freed.

NPCs, enemies, and critters can be pulled by this trap and will be inflicted with Poisoned while being pulled in and for 8 seconds after being freed.

Projectile fired:

pnn7G9p.png

Crafting Recipe

Crafting station:

Workbench

Ingredients:

Frog Trap

Poison Dart x100

Vampire Frog Trap

xjtouJe.png

Description:

Pulls characters in and inflicts them with Bleeding while being pulled in and for 14/22/30 seconds after being freed.

NPCs, enemies, and critters can be pulled by this trap and will be inflicted with Bleeding while being pulled in and for 14 seconds after being freed.

Projectile fired:

s1JtEwV.png

Crafting Recipe

Crafting station:

Workbench

Ingredients:

Frog Trap

Vicious Powder/Vile Powder x10

Wood Frog Trap

MiE0j3b.png

Rarity: Blue

Description:

Pulls players in and inflicts them with Frozen while being pulled in and Chilled for 5 seconds after being freed.

NPCs, enemies, and critters can be pulled by this trap, but are not inflicted with Frozen while being pulled in or Chilled after being freed.

Projectile fired:

h7CbbUG.png

Crafting Recipe

Crafting station:

Workbench and Snow biome

Ingredients:

Frog Trap

Hungry Frog Trap

iOCQhoj.png

Description:

Pulls players in and inflicts them with The Tongue while being pulled in.

NPCs, enemies, and critters can be pulled by this trap, but are not inflicted with The Tongue while being pulled in.

Projectile fired:

kMOsd45.png

Crafting Recipe

Crafting station:

Workbench

Ingredients:

Frog Trap

Flesh Block x25

Honey Toad Trap

799DytB.png

Description:

Acts similar to the standard frog trap except that its entire tongue can hit characters, not the just the tip of it.

This tongue will still retract only if the tip hits a solid block, its maximum range, or a character.

Projectile fired:

PRk6D9k.png

Crafting Recipe

Crafting station:

Workbench

Ingredients:

Frog Trap

Honey Block x10

Hive x5

Crispy Honey Block x5

Tele-Toad Trap

k63sdwP.png

Description:

Instantly teleports characters rather than pull them towards it.

The tongue launched from this trap can pass through blocks and will immediately dissipate once it has teleported a character.

Characters will be teleported to the closest free space in the tongue's return path to the trap.

AYDZIsM.png

PuAAbLi.png

SmFri5A.png

xMPJtLO.png

If there are no free spaces in the return path, characters are instead teleported to the same location they were struck at.

jMQQGei.png

Additional characters can also be teleported if they are close to the struck character.

Players, NPCs, enemies, and critters can be teleported by this trap.

Projectile Fired:

WJCqreB.png

Crafting Recipe

Crafting station:

Workbench

Ingredients:

Frog Trap

Crystal Shard x10

Soul of Light x5

Turbo Toad Trap

zPK4tZY.png

Description:

The tongue from this trap is launched at a high velocity and will pull characters in with the same speed.

Projectile fired:

UVyuAiW.png

Crafting Recipe

Crafting station:

Workbench

Ingredients:

Frog Trap

Empty Bullet x250

Cog x5

Last edited:
WOW these are a lot of cool ideas for upgrades to existing traps; maybe you should add an Elf Melting Trap.
The frog traps look modded though.

To me, the Frog Traps are the only part that doesn't look modded. I like them. I think new mechanisms in the game that affect player movement are interesting and a good contribution, as long as they don't seem abusable. And the frog traps really don't seem abusable. I don't know about finding them naturally, but I like the idea of being able to craft and use them.

WOW these are a lot of cool ideas for upgrades to existing traps; maybe you should add an Elf Melting Trap.

I may make more variants for the types of traps that exist in game, I definitely had the idea of an Elf Melting Trap. If I put together a sprite that I am happy with, I will add it as one in the Flame Trap group. :)

The frog traps look modded though.
These are very cool indeed, but they feel distinctly modded. Except for the Cursed Flame Trap, that one's fine.

Modded in the way they look or how they function? Sorry, I do not understand.

Side note, but wouldn't it make more sense for the Beat Box to deal high knockback instead of piercing?

I see what you mean with having the Beat Box deal a lot of knockback, but I wanted to keep it as a simple inferior version to the Spear Trap. The idea of high knockback traps seems interesting though.

To me, the Frog Traps are the only part that doesn't look modded. I like them. I think new mechanisms in the game that affect player movement are interesting and a good contribution, as long as they don't seem abusable. And the frog traps really don't seem abusable. I don't know about finding them naturally, but I like the idea of being able to craft and use them.
Thank you for your kind words. :)

As for natural occurrences, I had considered that maybe the standard Frog Trap would be in the Underground Jungle where they would pull you into large bodies of water or even lava. I suppose the Poison Dart Trap would go in the Underground Jungle as well.

Modded in the way they look or how they function? Sorry, I do not understand.
In the way they function.
The devs haven't even made player-wielded weapons that deal negative knockback, a trap that does negative knockback doesn't seem like something the devs would add.

I had just thought of a grappling hook trap, it would work exactly as the frog trap does.
I had a brief vision of chaining (lol) them together so that when you are pulled to the trap block, you hit the button that activates another one and pulls you to that trap.

Red can create frog/grappling trap chains that occur naturally, and serve to pull you into a pool of lava. Or players can set up essentially a mine cart track without the mine cart.

I really like all of these, especially the frog and cursed flames traps. I think a pre-hardmode spiky ball trap in the dungeon would be cool too, that could be crafted after the goblin army as well using spiky balls

would frog traps affect players with the cobalt sheild?
Yes, as it is the Towed debuff that causes the player to be moved towards the trap. I could think up an accessory to give an immunity to Towed though. :happy:

I really like all of these, especially the frog and cursed flames traps. I think a pre-hardmode spiky ball trap in the dungeon would be cool too, that could be crafted after the goblin army as well using spiky balls
I'm glad you like them!

Also, the idea of a pre-hardmode spiky ball trap in the dungeon seems cool! I think it fit really well because there are already spike ball trap enemies that swing and spike pits scattered about. Why not have more metal spike hazards in the dungeon!

Back
Top Bottom