Should be added?

• Yay!

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Nay!

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

⠀Ai⠀

Terrarian
This is my first suggestion so I'm not sure exactly how this is gonna go...feel free to give me some tips in the comments!

Let's be honest. No one really uses the Grenade Launcher dropped by Plantera - I've seen several let's plays where the weapon was just shift-clicked into oblivion after obtaining it. Players sought out the snowman cannon, something obtainable right after plantera, instead of just using the grenade launcher. Because of the lack of usage, I would like to propose a different gun that may possibly replace the Grenade Launcher - the Cannibal Plant (a better name would be appreciated).
The weapon (
Cannibal_Plant.png
) has the same drop chance as the Grenade Launcher.
Drop Chance: 14.29%
Damage: 20-->30 (per leaf) (ranged)
Secondary Damage: 45-->60 (per explosive) (ranged)
Critical Chance: 4%
Use Time: 30
Secondary Use Time: 50

On to the mechanics:
Its primary attack acts like a shotgun, spraying out 5-7 clusters of razor leaves (
fe5ab09ad5dc0d0.png
) that each deal around 30 dmg.
Because it's the new age of using both right and left mouse buttons, it has a secondary attack with the use time of 60 that launches out a poison bomb (
8de734105213965.png
) that has a similar bouncing style akin to the Grenade Launcher that upon impact, deals 45 dmg and encases a 5x5 tile area with a venom cloud which lasts 3 seconds that has a 100% chance to inflict venom on enemies (that are not immune to it).

I thought this would be a better replacement to the GL because while keeping the grenade part, it also adds a more convenient shotgun section so players can use another attack when they need to.

EDIT: From the comments, the Grenade Launcher (despite its immediate outclassing) is still an iconic weapon...Thus, I'd say that this could be some sort of alternative weapon crafted or dropped separately...Thanks for all the fixes and suggestions!

EDIT 2: As per BaconFry's suggestion, prehaps the venom (spore) cloud's effects will be moved onto the Shroomite rocket set's set bonus, and the secondary's explosive ball becomes a regular explosion that deals 60 damage...

Last edited:
I think it would be better to just straight-buff the Grenade Launcher's damage and crit-chance than to replace it. Your idea is pretty great, but the Grenade Launcher is too iconic to replace.

I think it would be better to just straight-buff the Grenade Launcher's damage and crit-chance than to replace it. Your idea is pretty great, but the Grenade Launcher is too iconic to replace.
True...plantera weapons are pretty iconic...I'll just leave it here then, or maybe change it as another drop (though Plantera already has many...)!

I like this weapon concept a lot. I'd support this but I think the original grenade launcher would benefit from being buffed at the same time and maybe available through different means

I think this is a super cool idea (though the stats require a bit of adjustment, currently being directly worse than the Onyx Blaster). However, I'd be a bit hesitant to straight-up delete the old Grenade Launcher.

When you think about it, the problem lies not with the Grenade Launcher in particular, but with all three of the rocket launchers you can get soon after defeating Plantera (the Grenade Launcher, Prox. Mine Launcher, and Rocket Launcher). All three of those are not very good.

So instead I'd propose adding the persistent AoE damage cloud to the set bonus of Shroomite Armor, the set that rangers will most likely be using at that stage. This would of course take the form of a blue spore cloud that would be generated upon any player-made explosion.

I suppose bullets and arrows could gain a similar effect, but for the sake of balance it would probably have to be cosmetic-only (the rocket set is probably the least-used shroomite set, after all).

The GL isn't that bad, specially as Plantera always drops it the first time it's killed and has higher DPS than the Rocket Launcher. If anything, it's the RL that needs buffs/a replacement, as it's not as versatile as the Grenade Launcher (Specially in the Dungeon itself, where the bouncing grenades are very useful).
If anyhting, I'm tempted to argue that the later tiers are a bit of a mess and progress too quickly.

Back
Top Bottom