PC A Friend And I Can Join Each other's Server's, But His Brother Cant.

Xuler

Terrarian
For some unknown reason, I and a friend of mine (we met on discord) can join each others server when we create a host and play server, but his brother who is on the same wifi cant. They both have ethernet cables but we still cant join his brother's server. Both me and my friend can't join his servers. Every time we try to join his or he tries to join ours it says "lost connection". Can someone help us?

Your friends brother will need to use a different port number than your friend (which I assume uses the default port 7777), and that port number needs to be forwarded in the router (unless you are using UPnP). Have you done that? Do you know what I'm talking about?

Also, your friend probably needs to use his brothers computer's local address instead of the public address.

Last edited:
Hi @Xuler,
Are you attempting to host a server manually with portfowarding or connect through Steam (or another way)?

im doing it through join via steam
When hosting, start the server with "start-server-steam-friends.bat" (found in the Terraria folder). The first one can use the default port 7777, but the next one needs to use a different port (for example 8888). When asked if you want to automatically forward port, answer y.

When hosting, start the server with "start-server-steam-friends.bat" (found in the Terraria folder). The first one can use the default port 7777, but the next one needs to use a different port (for example 8888). When asked if you want to automatically forward port, answer y.
alright, I did what you said it brang me up to a screen on the terraria server thing saying "
Listening on port 7777
Type 'help' for a list of commands.

: help" what do I do now?

alright, I did what you said it brang me up to a screen on the terraria server thing saying "
Listening on port 7777
Type 'help' for a list of commands.

: help" what do I do now?
wait now when I try to join the server from the game it says "your version doesn't match with the server" what does that mean?

wait now when I try to join the server from the game it says "your version doesn't match with the server" what does that mean?
Is your Terraria modded by chance? If not, make sure it's up to date. In Steam, right-click on Terraria and select Properties. Then under the LOCAL FILES tab, press the button that says VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME FILES.

Only do this if Terraria isn't modded!

To join a server, use one of the following addresses:
127.0.0.1 If the server is running on the same computer
192.168.n.n If the server is running on a different computer on the same network (find out exact address by opening a command window; then type ipconfig)
n.n.n.n If a friend is hosting the server, the friend can find out the address by google 'whats my ip'.

Last edited:
If on a different os like Mac the command in terminal is instead ifconfig.
Before this thread was moved to this section, the op stated Windows as the operating system.
But you are correct, on Mac/Linux the command is ifconfig to see information about your network connections.

Btw if you have access to the router, you can look up the address for a particular computer on the network in the DHCP list.

Back
Top Bottom