PC A new type of invulnerability machine

I figured I'd try my hand at making a "demonic washing machine", and came up with this:
Rjzv8D3.png
RQfAQDR.png

The bottom teleporter has pressure plates that sends you back to the top, and activate the slime statues for the raven to chew on so you can get nebula armor buffs. (raven+mob statue idea shamelessly taken from blackshadowwind) This set up w/ nebula armor regens health faster than you loose it, so no heart statues needed. No heart statues mean you don't have to worry about hearts from enemies making the statues not work.

I tested this against 4 bosses at once (the three mechanical + golem) and took no damage from them. I even sat there for a while and half killed them with just star veil stars. Sadly, it does NOT work against the moon lord. :(

Just wondering, for how many frames does the invulnerability last?
Is this correct:
-If you get 1 damage, it will last for 10 ticks.
-If you get more than 1 damage, it will last for 20 ticks.
-If you have a Cross Necklace, it will last for 40/20(depending on the previous 2) ticks. (Which should be enough for a hoik loop, a hoik moves you 1 tooth per tick, right?)

Just wondering, for how many frames does the invulnerability last?
Is this correct:
-If you get 1 damage, it will last for 10 ticks.
-If you get more than 1 damage, it will last for 20 ticks.
-If you have a Cross Necklace, it will last for 40/20(depending on the previous 2) ticks. (Which should be enough for a hoik loop, a hoik moves you 1 tooth per tick, right?)
It is {20, 40; 40, 80}, not {10, 20; 20, 40}

(Which should be enough for a hoik loop, a hoik moves you 1 tooth per tick, right?)
Depends on the size of the loop. Using a teleporter makes trip back up instant, so its faster than a loop. But mine works without a cross necklace, so I see no reason that loop wouldn't work as well. Also, I didn't do a lot of testing on height. Just found one that worked and kept it there.

Also, another question, if you have a hoik that damages you every 19 ticks and you are invincible for the next 20 ticks, would it make you invincible or not?
Wouldn't it be like this:
-Damaged
-19 ticks later, still invincible

Ideally, no, you wouldn't be invincible. The game would check for invincibility at tick 19 and you would still have it, then it would check again at tick 38 on the next go around. leaving you with 18 ticks, you are vulnerable. That's how I understand it anyway.
[DOUBLEPOST=1439095590,1439094949][/DOUBLEPOST]A gif of it in action while I'm at it

Last edited:
Ideally, no, you wouldn't be invincible. The game would check for invincibility at tick 19 and you would still have it, then it would check again at tick 38 on the next go around. leaving you with 18 ticks, you are vulnerable. That's how I understand it anyway.
[DOUBLEPOST=1439095590,1439094949][/DOUBLEPOST]A gif of it in action while I'm at it
@ZeroGravitas Can you confirm this?

Also, @Bahamut2001, doesn't your awesome washing machine have over ten but less than 20 teeth? If you had something with exactly 40 teeth that deals one damage and you have a cross necklace, would that make you perfectly invincible?

Also, @Bahamut2001, doesn't your awesome thing have over ten but less than 20 teeth? If you had something with exactly 40 teeth that deals one damage and you have a cross necklace, would that make you perfectly invincible?

If the invincibility cool down doesn't work like the statue cool downs, then yeah. When I was working on chaining the instant shark switches to run in in a circle, I found that you can't activate a shark statue again on tick 30 (the cool down) it had to be tick 31. Might be the same for invincibility too.

As for my 'awesome thing' :p I counted 11 or 12 ticks (IF I counted it right lol) from teleporter to teleporter, so I might drop it down a tooth and see what happens.

If the invincibility cool down doesn't work like the statue cool downs, then yeah. When I was working on chaining the instant shark switches to run in in a circle, I found that you can't activate a shark statue again on tick 30 (the cool down) it had to be tick 31. Might be the same for invincibility too.

As for my 'awesome thing' :p I counted 11 or 12 ticks (IF I counted it right lol) from teleporter to teleporter, so I might drop it down a tooth and see what happens.

About the details of the cooldown the source code is messy, with many exceptions and nuances, so it is more reliable to make science experiment inside the Terraria itself if the specific frame is needed. You are right.

A gif of it in action while I'm at it
Got it running in fast forwards (looks like you've modified the frame timing), are hoiks not fast enough for you?

Timing wise, this should have to be too precise, right, as long as it's shorter that the cool-down, there's no fundamental limit on how many times per second you can take fall damage, right? (Purely mechanistic realities.)

I changed it to 30 fps, I though it would look better not make it faster. >_< I'll do it again
Thought it was funny... It should be fine to change the recording frame rate to 30 (in screen to gif), I've had no issues there, although there may well be better software out there (I'd love a decent, free/easy Gif editor). It's only if you change a frames transition rate after recording, or later in the Gfycat link url, or something that it changes the play speed... (Always check you're vids/uploads/link urls guys, important life lesson these days. ;))

Ok, tried it out, works perfectly. (I used a cross necklace..and no teleporters!)
Here is my setup: (There is still the problem of dying after a while...you would need some better health regeneration.)
Capture 2015-08-09 12_53_35.png

So, you could use this against the mechanical bosses! :D

tried it out, works perfectly. (I used a cross necklace..and no teleporters!)
Here is my setup
Good job. I think the next innovation should be to open it all up as much as possible, so you can actually shoot/throw/blast bosses directly for the majority of the time. Strip out the side walls. Actuate each length of hoik so it won't get in the way when you're not using it. At the limit you could actuate every single tooth with a pressure plate between each on a platform... :)

Good job. I think the next innovation should be to open it all up as much as possible, so you can actually shoot/throw/blast bosses directly for the majority of the time. Strip out the side walls. Actuate each length of hoik so it won't get in the way when you're not using it. At the limit you could actuate every single tooth with a pressure plate between each on a platform... :)

Ok!! ^w^ That sounds evil! Muwhahahaha! (That's what you would call fangirling if I were a girl! XD)

By the way, Skeletron Prime is easy to kill that way since he goes into DG mode when it becomes day instead of despawning! (Doing it right now:Capture 2015-08-10 17_34_49.png Capture 2015-08-10 17_42_43.png )
[DOUBLEPOST=1439437152,1439213407][/DOUBLEPOST]Ok, here is an improved version of the demonic washing machine!

Accessories:
-Cross necklace
-A star veil or a bee cloak would also be great. If you use a bee cloak, you still have to use the cross necklace.

Capture 2015-08-12 18_13_19.png

Here is a pic of me fighting the destroyer! I used a mushroom spear and constantly achieved over 1000 dps! Works pretty well. Who ever said that the mechanical bosses are hard to defeat? (Well, maybe the twins would be..)
Capture 2015-08-12 17_48_59.png

And, any ideas on how I could make it so that some of the unused teeth get actuated? I also got a question: Can you teleport while riding on the unicorn and will it retain it's speed? Or hoik it? (Yeah, I do want to have as many ways as possible to be invincible!)

P.S. I think it is rather easy to make yourself invincible using 2 target dummies, should I post a screenshot?

Last edited:
any ideas on how I could make it so that some of the unused teeth get actuated?
At simplest, stick a plate (on a platform) just before the bottom, and just after the top of the up hoik. The plate before actuates the length on, the plate after turns it off again. Can to same on the down, just make sure platform doesn't interfere with the down hoik mechanic.
Can you teleport while riding on the unicorn and will it retain it's speed?
I believe so, that's was one of Thiner's opening ideas here (just watch out for dead edge activation on the left hand side of pads, unless 1.3.0.8 fixed that already, doubtful).
invincible using 2 target dummies, should I post a screenshot?
Sure. Always good to see people get stuff working in action.

At simplest, stick a plate (on a platform) just before the bottom, and just after the top of the up hoik. The plate before actuates the length on, the plate after turns it off again. Can to same on the down, just make sure platform doesn't interfere with the down hoik mechanic.

I believe so, that's was one of Thiner's opening ideas here (just watch out for dead edge activation on the left hand side of pads, unless 1.3.0.8 fixed that already, doubtful).

Sure. Always good to see people get stuff working in action.

I did some testing, the slime mount invulnerability is rather easy to achieve but not 100% reliable. I am not sure what causes it but one thing that does cause it is using a weapon (with a lot of knockback? I used a Dao of Pow) and attacking the dummies. (Also, the idea isn't exactly mine.) I also tried out the unicorn invulnerability but so far it doesn't make you invulnerable. Looks like there aren't enough target dummies in my setup.
Here are 2 videos: Slime mount and Unicorn mount.

Oh, and something I have noticed on multiplayer with teleporters and pressure plates: 2 teleporters and pressure plates on top of them connected to each other-->Trying to teleport-->Teleporting and getting teleported back instantly.
Should I upload a video or a gif that shows this?

P.S. Would you mind making a thread here that discusses about this: http://forums.terraria.org/index.ph...-1-3-1-calling-all-terrarian-mechanics.29865/

Last edited:
I did some testing, the slime mount invulnerability is rather easy to achieve but not 100% reliable. I am not sure what causes it but one thing that does cause it is using a weapon (with a lot of knockback? I used a Dao of Pow) and attacking the dummies. (Also, the idea isn't exactly mine.) I also tried out the unicorn invulnerability but so far it doesn't make you invulnerable. Looks like there aren't enough target dummies in my setup.
Here are 2 videos: Slime mount and Unicorn mount.

I clearly remember that I have said that unicorn dashing speed is 12 pixels per tick, or 45 tiles per second, and the unicorn give a immunity of 30 ticks to the enemies. Therefore, It is not hard to calculate that you need at least 12 dummies to make unicorn invulnerability machine work.

About slime amount, because the 6/10 rule(slime stamping gives the player 6 tick of immunity whilst gives the enemies 10) 2 dummies are enough.

Whatever, it seems that the falling-damage-based machine works most reliably and grants the most freedom to the player, but the slime mount machine is the easiest to build.

Back
Top Bottom