A small texture layout guide

Hax4Ever

Empress of Light
A small texture layout guide
and maybe some other stuff
Texture pack editing is a mess, so here I will dump most of my findings on locations, layouts, and other stuff involving texture packs. Not all of them can be changed through the png-based texture pack zip thing using experimental features. Those that won't function that way can be replaced in the content folder of Terraria, I highly reccomend that you back up your images folder, and also use something like tExtract to get the vanilla sprites, since I can't really directly put stuff here, I'll just use sprites from the wiki.

I will be putting this entire post in a very... loose format? So be warned, this only exists to be a reference. If I mess up anywhere please tell me in the comments and I'll try to correct it.
This is geared more towards beginners, as there is very little documentation on the way alot of this stuff is structured, that or it really isn't... laid out infront of you like you'd expect from THIS community. But I digress, I'll add more complicated things if asked. Tag me for requests please.

Tiles and Walls
This one is pretty easy, just look for the tile ID and find it in the sprites folder.
I won't bother documenting all of these because it's not difficult to understand.
Dirt_Wall.png
Pay close attention to the naturally generated walls if you're doing a total conversion, because it's easy to miss them.
(Look for walls with (natural) at the end of them on the wiki / ID list)
AVOID CHANGING THE IMAGE RESOLUTION, the engine will not automatically adapt to the change like tModLoader will.

Tombstone.png
Tombstones, Dirt, Sand (and its variants), and Ice blocks (the ones summoned from the ice rod) all have projectiles to accompany them.

Also the dust file is important, but I really don't wanna skim through the code to figure it out.

Torch.png
Some tiles have glows, they are usually flame_#
Sunflower.png
Especially with sunflowers, careful with those!

Moss_Fire.png
Fire moss has its glow in the glow_# section

MOST TILES AND WALLS HAVE ITEMS ASSOCIATED WITH THEM. To locate them, look at these wiki pages!
Tile IDs
Wall IDs

Items
Items are much like tiles and walls, but the way some of them are displayed are very disjointed.
Torch.png
Some items have glows, they are usually glow_# or item_flame

Some items (Drills, spears, a few guns, and a few other weapons) use projectiles as well (Projectile_#)
The best I can reccomend is to skim through the projectiles section for now.

If they use projectiles for attacks / using animations, they still use their item ID in the inventory.
Here are some examples:

Dark Lance - Projectile_46
Trident - Projectile_47
Spear - Projectile_49
Cobalt Chainsaw - Projectile_57
Mythril Chainsaw - Projectile_58
Cobalt Drill - Projectile_59
Mythril Drill - Projectile_60
Adamantite Chainsaw - Projectile_61
Adamantite Drill - Projectile_62
Gugnir - Projectile_105
Lunar tier weapons - Projectile 427 - 432, Projectile 609 - 610
There are many other items that have projectiles when being used instead of their item sprites, you can also check Projectile IDs on the wiki!

Item IDs
Projectile IDs

Projectiles and Pets
Since I put a sphiel on how alot of items are projectiles too, I will also note that pretty much most summons and pets are projectiles as well

Projectile IDs

Buffs
Buffs are Buff_#
The # is their Buff ID

Buff IDs

Cave Backgrounds
Cave backgrounds are much easier to handle than the parallax backgrounds
The prefix is background_ usually
1 - 6 (UNUSED AFTER 1.2)
32 - 34 (ICE)
62 - 65 (MUSHROOM)
66 - 69 (NORMAL)
70 - 72 (NORMAL)
73 - 76 (NORMAL)
77 - 80 (NORMAL)
81 - 82 (NORMAL) + 66 + 68
83 - 86 (NORMAL)
87 - 89 (NORMAL) + 83
117 - 118 (ICE)
119 - 120 (ICE)
121 - 124 (NORMAL)
125 - 145 (HELL AND HELL MIXTURES) + 150 + 152 + 157-159 + 185 - 187 (3 FRAMES FOR ALL)
146 - 149 (JUNGLE)
153 - 156 (JUNGLE)
160-163 (ICE TOPS FROM EARLIER ICE BACKGROUNDS)
164 - 167 (ICE)
188 - 192 (CRIMSON UNDERGROUND? UNUSED?)
193 - 199 (CORRUPTION UNDERGROUND? UNUSED?)
200 + 203 (CORRUPTION ICE? UNUSED?)
201 + 202 (CRIMSON ICE? UNUSED?)
204-206 (HALLOW ICE? UNUSED?)

These backgrounds must have an identical 32 pixels on both sides (left and right)

Parallax Backgrounds
Backgrounds are one of the more complex things when it comes to texture packs, if not the most complex.
Prefix is usually Background_

0 (SKY)
7-11 (1.1 BACKGROUNDS, USED IN SOME OTHER BACKGROUNDS)
12-14 (CORRUPTION)
15-16 (JUNGLE)
18 - 19 (HALLOW RAINBOW)
20-23 (DESERT)
24 - 27 (EVIL DESERT?)
28 (OCEAN, UNUSED NOW?)
29 - 31 (HALLOW)
35 - 39 (SNOW)
41 - 45 (CRIMSON)
46 - 47 (MUSHROOM)
49 (UNUSED?)
50 - 52 (FOREST)
53 - 55 (FOREST)
56 - 58 (CORRUPTION)
59 - 61 (JUNGLE)
90 - 92 (FOREST)
93 + 168 - 170 (FOREST, ANIMATED)
94 + 114 - 116 (FOREST, ANIMATED)
95 - 101 (SNOW, 100 and 101 might be variants)
102-104 (HALLOW)
105 - 107 (CRIMSON)
108 - 109 (DESERT)
110 (OCEAN)
111 (OCEAN)
112 - 113 (CLOUDS, WEATHER)
171-173 (FOREST)
174 - 175 (CRIMSON)
176 - 178 (FOREST)
179 - 184 (FOREST, 180 - 183 ANIMATED)

Hell backgrounds
Lava_Slime.png
Much like parallax backgrounds but they use a different method for animation for some reason.
They are in the backgrounds folder
Underworld 0 (UNANIMATED)
Underworld 1 (4 FRAMES OF ANIMATION?)
Underworld 2 - 4 (UNANIMATED)

User Interface
This is also a mess, but I'll try to explain it

Inventory_Back (17 in total)
Inventory_Tick_On / Inventory_Tick_Off
Heart / Heart2 / Mana / Bubble / Flame
Clothes_0 - Clothes_3 (For dresser)
ClothesStyleBack, Chat_Back, Text_Back, HairStyleBack
ColorBar, Hue
Healthbar1 / Healthbar2
Grid
House_1, House_2,House_Banner_1 (Unused, look in MISC for the current used versions!)
Lock_0, Lock_1
Logo, Logo2 (Terraria logo)
logo_1 - logo_8 (Re-Logic logo, please don't change these)
Map
Map_0 - Map_7
MapBG1 - MapBG15
MapDeath
MiniMapButton_0 - MiniMapButton_2
MiniMapFrame
MiniMapFrame2 (Editing this might affect how the minimap displays?)
NPC_Head_0 - NPC_Head_24 (Numbers might change in future)
NPC_Head_Boss_0 - NPC_Head_Boss_36 (Numbers might change in future)
OneDropLogo (Please don't change this)

More can be found in the MISC subfolder, grand design displays and whatnot.

Mounts
Slimy_Saddle.png
Most mounts have the Mount_ prefix, and are usually labelled sensibly, this includes minecarts.

Wires
WiresNew is the current file used
Wire.png
Wires - Wires4 for legacy if you need that for whatever reason

Christmas Tree
Literally this is just me adding filler to this post at this point
Xmas_0 (BASE)
Xmas_1 - Xmas_4 (DECORATIONS)
XmasLight (LIGHTS)

Accessories
Angel_Wings.png
Wings_
Prefix (MOST use 4 frames, but some use more, mainly dev sets because they wanted some weird floppy wings)
Anklet_of_the_Wind.png
Acc_
Prefix (Most of the accessories are here)

Armor
Until today I didn't know there was an Armor IDs page on the wiki, I really wish I knew this earlier.

Armor_Arm (BOTH GENDERS' ARMS)
Iron_Chainmail.png
Armor_Body (MALE BODY ARMOR)
Iron_Helmet.png
Armor_Head (HEAD ARMOR)
Iron_Greaves.png
Armor_Legs (LEG)
Female_body (FEMALE FANSERVICE ARMOR)

Armor IDs

Liquids
Water, Lava, and Honey are kinda annoying to deal with
Liquid_0 - Liquid 11
Waterfall_0 - Waterfall_22 (Gemspark hell and cloud blocks included)

There's also liquid effects in the MISC folder, but these can't really be modified using the ZIP texture pack method, they require XNB conversions.
MAKE SURE TO LEAVE THE BOTTOM 8 PIXELS A SOLID COLOR

Particles
Dust is important, also everything with the EXTRA prefix.
You can find alot of stuff in the EXTRA prefix, portal gun I think too, along with parts of the moon lord, martian invasion, effects, and some UI stuff too.

Clouds
These can be any size, but I reccomend having these be a 1:2 ratio like everything else (except for backgrounds but they don't count)
They use the Cloud_ prefix

Coins
Platinum_Coin.png
Coins are items and also not, they use the Coin_ prefix for how they appear in the overworld, and in your inventory they use their item IDs.

Cacti and Trees
They were really awkward with these.
Evil_Cactus, Crimson_Cactus, Good_Cactus, and Tile_80 are all cacti... yeah
Tiles_5 - Tiles_5_6 are tree logs
Tree_tops and Tree_branches are named appropriately?
Tiles_323 are for palm trees
I can't find the file for leaves, but those would be something you'd want to edit considering the particles teased for 1.3.6 (and are currently used for trees growing)

Yep, that's pretty much all of the major things that are covered, if there is something you need help with (i.e specific blocks / animation patterns) or know about, just tag me and I'll add it to this thread if it isn't here already.

Hopefully I can expand this reference some more in the future to include more advanced topics involving how the tilesheets are laid out, and maybe eventually get someone to write a program that converts a 9-tile image into a Terraria compatible tileset, just a pipe dream.

Thanks Hax... good stuff. Do you need any help making more documentation?

Also, have you figured out how tilesheets are laid out? Specifically tiles like dirt, stone, and clay.

Currently doing a German Christmas project where the forest becomes fruitcake and the underground a beer garden. However, I don't know how the tiles are rearranged in game. Simply overlaying the tiles with cake looks weird because only 1 cake tile is chosen to keep repeating itself on the surface.

I can't find the file for leaves, but those would be something you'd want to edit considering the particles teased for 1.3.6 (and are currently used for trees growing)
Leaves are in Gore_#, gores aren't just used for dead parts of friendly NPC or enemies but too some special effects like smoke cloud from exploded Hellstone Arrows.
Thanks Hax... good stuff. Do you need any help making more documentation?

Also, have you figured out how tilesheets are laid out? Specifically tiles like dirt, stone, and clay.

Currently doing a German Christmas project where the forest becomes fruitcake and the underground a beer garden. However, I don't know how the tiles are rearranged in game. Simply overlaying the tiles with cake looks weird because only 1 cake tile is chosen to keep repeating itself on the surface.
There is nothing too unnusual about them but three inner pieces (or what are they called) are for variety for a block so they wouldn't look totally same and look more natural. These varieties can be more seen on Tin Bricks, Rainbow Bricks, Flesh Block and more. Bledning with soils (very often with dirt) and borders should be something you should figure it out, there isn't anythhing that hard to understand it but I must agree doing them (visually) is hard and time consuming.

There special cases that blocks aren't even like those classic one like Plating and Slabs, very unique with it's layout. And fairly new quare block layout made for Luminite Bricks (currently bugged, will be fixed next update, wall is OK)
Template - Big Tiles.png

The Lunar Portal staff has its projectile and it uses one other that I cannot find anywhere. It looks like the same projectile used in the Arcanum's attacks which I will soon test, but before then I'm going to ask here on what I should be looking for.

Update: The tertiary projectile in the Lunar Portal staff is not Projectile_617.

Back
Top Bottom