Items Accessibility Change for Wiring Component Noises (+For Noteblocks in the Future)

Leaffen

Plantera
Something I've mentioned before but feel I need a dedicated post on, the dreaded default clicking noise associated with most wiring components NEEDS to have a way to be muted.
If you have big complex machines with a lot of timers, pressure plates, player sensors, or announcement boxes, you're going to constantly hear the same loud clicking noise, over and over again.

This is terrible for maps, as it can not only ruin a lot of immersion with any mechanics the map added in, but it can downright make some map mechanics unusable, due to how loud and annoying they would end up being.
Some examples, if you have player sensors set up in a way to detect where the player is, or an actuator elevator made with player sensors, these are both terribly loud systems that makes multiple clicking noises every time the player moves, you cannot realistically use either of these in a map strictly because of the noise.
If you have pressure plates throughout an area that will randomly add a dangerous stat to a counter, they player will hear pressure plates constantly even if the pressure plates don't always do anything, and the player can very easily memorize where the pressure plates are.
Not to mention, if you use announcement boxes for a H.U.D. in the chat? My ears can't take it, because you hear a click every time a message is sent, and a H.U.D. needs to update smoothly, messages are being sent at a pretty rapid rate. It's such a cool thing to have working and perfectly functional, but again, because of the noise it generates, it's just not realistic to use in a map. And I feel like that's a big problem to limit what you can and can't do by having some things be far too noisy.

And now imagine when noteblocks are added, you set them up to player sensors, or a bunch of pressure plates, a string of timers, whatever, and you keep hearing that dreadful clicking noise over the sounds you play. They're going to be borderline useless for making anything that sounds good at that point, unless you make the signals to trigger the noteblocks come from far away, and don't use any pressure plates or player sensors, which is just a MASSIVE shame.

It's so disappointing that there's all this potential for new cool immersive mechanics, H.U.D.s, hidden cameras, player sensor elevators, stat counters, all made inside the game from just wiring, but the downside to all of it working is having the most dreadful clicking noise constantly playing, that you can't even remove with resource packs because so many things share the same noise. I just want to make cool things without my and any other players' ears being shredded.
I assume this would be an easy change to pull off as well, by just making echo coated pressure plates/player sensors/timers/announcement boxes not generate a noise, but I could be wrong.

In short, this is a change that needs to happen if we want to start seeing grander things come from maps, without having to deal with the limitations of constant ear piercing noise, and this should vastly improve the viability of using noteblocks in the future. Also, it would be great for anyone with a sensitivity to clicking noises, such as my self. I have to play the game muted whenever making any large wiring machine function, so more accessibility is a huge plus!

Edit: I once made a mechanic where, you would be in a large sprawling spider den, trying to get in and out. Waves of light would travel through the ground, indicating when you need to stop moving, or else it will add a counter to a tracker. If the tracker had 3 counters, it would start spawning spiders in the area.
THIS IS WHAT IT SOUNDED LIKE! This is why it's so important the change needs to happen, mechanics like that can't exist without producing this much noise. Also, notice the H.U.D. makes a low hum. That gets grating.

Last edited:
On the one hand, this noise is actually helpful in some situations for knowing whether wiring shenanigans are going on and when, on the other hand, I hate this.
Maybe this should just be off by default and only be able to be heard with wire display on or something like that?
I say echo coated wiring components should just be silent when invisible, sounds like the easiest to implement, and probably preferable for most people.
But I'd take anything to mute the sound at this point, even a setting.

As a mapmaker, we need this.
I normally play with the sound off for this reason. And I now have to recommend in the map description for players to do the same.
One extremely annoying one is a simple red light/green light. Now as you can imagine, the system needs to know whenever the player has moved, which is obviously rather loud.
Also any visual effects, waves of lights, strobes, etc. are insufferable.
I agree with @Green_Darthknight🐿️ that it should only be a setting, not a mandatory rule.

Attachments

• 1708201150564.png
    1708201150564.png
    61.3 KB · Views: 17
As a mapmaker, we need this.
I normally play with the sound off for this reason. And I now have to recommend in the map description for players to do the same.
One extremely annoying one is a simple red light/green light. Now as you can imagine, the system needs to know whenever the player has moved, which is obviously rather loud.
Also any visual effects, waves of lights, strobes, etc. are insufferable.
I agree with @Green_Darthknight🐿️ that it should only be a setting, not a mandatory rule.
Yeah I feel your pain, same problem with my web vibration mechanic, and the hidden camera. Both are just insanely noisy.
I had a sorta red light green light obstacle in my map, the noise killed me so much I used rope, a medusa, and a pit instead. Nowhere near as fun.

This is a requirement if we’re going to get more automation in 1.4.5. Support
As a setting or anything else, I really hope to see this in some form.

This would be massive for maps with new game mechanics made from wiring, for noteblocks, for automation, and just general wacky builds like my base camera would benefit.

I would love silent sensors, for me it's just the practical idea of having adventure maps and someone walking over a player above sensor. I can hide it with paint and surroundings but the sound is gonna either diminish immersion or give away a trap or some other mechanism.

I also get why having the sound can be nice for testing machines so having the option would be huge!

Back
Top Bottom