tModLoader Adventure Mode

I should mention I released v0.55.1 with a subtle but potentially important tweak.

I plan to make 1 more version update, and then I'll be taking a break before porting to TML 1.4.

I wonder if I should I make new versions as their own posts, or try to mention them in the head post...

Can't wait until it releases in 2022!
You jinxed me!

Any ETA for 1.4 version ? And will it be compatible with Journey Mode ?
A month, at the earliest. It's not a simple matter of direct porting.

Journey mode might be heavily restricted, but I'll try to make it work.

Last edited:
When you do make it compatible with Journey's mod, you should make it so that orbs cannot be researched, or only with a large amount. Having infinite orbs to dig your way through absolutely breaks the gamemode, so it should be allowed only if you commit to it a ton, or not allowing it at all.

When you do make it compatible with Journey's mod, you should make it so that orbs cannot be researched, or only with a large amount. Having infinite orbs to dig your way through absolutely breaks the gamemode, so it should be allowed only if you commit to it a ton, or not allowing it at all.
Right. Among other things.

To be fair, the main problem with the orbs, is that you have a very large chance of their use being wasted, since terrain is (mostly) randomized. The fact that they are extremely rare does not help, either. I feel like it'd be better if you could instead gain permits to mine certain blocks like dirt and stone, that you'd gain though quests.
EDIT: Brain being dum and using the opposite of what i meant

Last edited:
To be fair, the main problem with the orbs, is that you have a very small chance of their use being wasted, since terrain is (mostly) randomized. The fact that they are extremely rare does not help, either. I feel like it'd be better if you could instead gain permits to mine certain blocks like dirt and stone, that you'd gain though quests.
That's a good point, and a good idea. There are/were plans for just that, but I opted instead to give multiple means (binoculars "zoom", geothaumatic stations, PKE readings) to guess at where to go in the dark areas. Maybe those means are too non-intuitive?

That's a good point, and a good idea. There are/were plans for just that, but I opted instead to give multiple means (binoculars "zoom", geothaumatic stations, PKE readings) to guess at where to go in the dark areas. Maybe those means are too non-intuitive?
Binoculars zoom is pretty much useless (you'd have more luck looking for light-bearing monsters to light up underground points of interest than using it the way it's intended), Geothaumatic stations requires you to find them first so it's the same issue all over again, and i've never managed to get the item that does PKE readings (and from what i understand, is much farther into the mod than when it's actually needed). I'd rather have a functional pickaxe that's limited in what blocks it's able to mine by how far in you are, thank you.

Binoculars zoom is pretty much useless (you'd have more luck looking for light-bearing monsters to light up underground points of interest than using it the way it's intended), Geothaumatic stations requires you to find them first so it's the same issue all over again, and i've never managed to get the item that does PKE readings (and from what i understand, is much farther into the mod than when it's actually needed). I'd rather have a functional pickaxe that's limited in what blocks it's able to mine by how far in you are, thank you.
The PKE device should be located right in the center of the map on the surface. Maybe I should make it easier to find? It's kinda important...

The PKE device should be located right in the center of the map on the surface. Maybe I should make it easier to find? It's kinda important...
I mean, considering that since you can't dig underground to get heart/mana crystals, and that the soul barriers gets to, like, 60 power (probably more, i never *managed* to reach the center of the map in the first place due to how unfairly hard it is, being stuck on wood gear, copper/tin armor if you're lucky with ore spawns, is no fun at all when bandits does 60+ damage with their hitscan pistols) before you can even reach the center. And if you're particuliarly unlucky with biomes, you have to traverse a jungle before reaching the center, which, *thanks* to Green Hell, punishes you for existing in there. AND, you have a limit of 7 days to reach it before the boss reign activates, which makes the travel even more unfairly hard.

TL;DR: No, PKE reader does not help. The fact it's so far from the player is in fact a huge detriment to the fun factor of the modpack, which was already in the negative in the first place thanks to the mod having all the extra difficulty mods and nothing to actually help us.

I mean, considering that since you can't dig underground to get heart/mana crystals, and that the soul barriers gets to, like, 60 power (probably more, i never *managed* to reach the center of the map in the first place due to how unfairly hard it is, being stuck on wood gear, copper/tin armor if you're lucky with ore spawns, is no fun at all when bandits does 60+ damage with their hitscan pistols) before you can even reach the center. And if you're particuliarly unlucky with biomes, you have to traverse a jungle before reaching the center, which, *thanks* to Green Hell, punishes you for existing in there. AND, you have a limit of 7 days to reach it before the boss reign activates, which makes the travel even more unfairly hard.
The world gen (should) guarantee you do not encounter the jungle before the map center. In all tests I've seen and made, the starting equipment was sufficient to at least reach the map center...
TL;DR: No, PKE reader does not help. The fact it's so far from the player is in fact a huge detriment to the fun factor of the modpack, which was already in the negative in the first place thanks to the mod having all the extra difficulty mods and nothing to actually help us.
None of the "difficulty" mods (except for the mostly-avoidable world gen skulls) impede you from reaching the map center significantly more than vanilla Terraria would. The bandits might make for a bit of a fight, but they exist to partially balance against the starter gun being as powerful a weapon as it is.

Last edited:
The world gen guarantees you do not encounter the jungle before the map center. In all tests I've seen and made, the starting equipment was sufficient to at least reach the map center...
Maybe for you, but my world, in all of it's terraria generation splendor, managed to generate the Jungle right after the dungeon. And i dunno what kinda PvE god are you, but the arveage player (like me) will *not* survive a trip to the center of the world with only the starting equipment. Between the generation creating pitfalls after pitfalls that are death traps for anyone who has spent all of their rope on the previous one, to the rails deciding making a minecart space program is a smart idea, i'd like to disagree strongly.
None of the "difficulty" mods (except for the mostly-avoidable world gen skulls) impede you from reaching the map center significantly more than vanilla Terraria would. The bandits might make for a bit of a fight, but they exist to partially balance against the starter gun being as powerful a weapon as it is.
It may be my personal opinion, but i'd rather not have those bandits and not have the gun as a result, than having both. The unwieldiness and time to aim of the gun, no matter how huge it's damage is, is a benefit far outweighted by the inconvenience that are the bandits, with their hitscan shots, lack of drops (i may just be dry as a skeleton though) and ability to appear just about anywhere in the surface.

Maybe for you, but my world, in all of it's terraria generation splendor, managed to generate the Jungle right after the dungeon. And i dunno what kinda PvE god are you, but the arveage player (like me) will *not* survive a trip to the center of the world with only the starting equipment. Between the generation creating pitfalls after pitfalls that are death traps for anyone who has spent all of their rope on the previous one, to the rails deciding making a minecart space program is a smart idea, i'd like to disagree strongly.
Send me your world file. I'd like to see this. This just defies all experience I have.
It may be my personal opinion, but i'd rather not have those bandits and not have the gun as a result, than having both. The unwieldiness and time to aim of the gun, no matter how huge it's damage is, is a benefit far outweighted by the inconvenience that are the bandits, with their hitscan shots, lack of drops (i may just be dry as a skeleton though) and ability to appear just about anywhere in the surface.
Noted. Though maybe you could try practicing it a bit?

I should note the bandits do have rare drops, and also drop lots of money, on occasion.

Send me your world file. I'd like to see this. This just defies all experience I have.
I would love to, if the TModLoader update didn't override the version i was in and thus deleted the world i played in. Blame whoever's in charge, not me.
Noted. Though maybe you could try practicing it a bit?
I should note the bandits do have rare drops, and also drop lots of money, on occasion.
It's not pratice that's the problem, the problem is that it's the antithesis of my playstyle. A weapon that requires me to not move/move very slowly to use effectively is immediately going to waste with me, who's someone who dodges first and aims never. (Can you tell that i'm a summoner main ?)
Also, thanks for confirming that i was, indeed, dry as a skeleton.

I would love to, if the TModLoader update didn't override the version i was in and thus deleted the world i played in. Blame whoever's in charge, not me.
It shouldn't have. TML 1.4 simply uses a different folder (Documents/Terraria/tModLoader instead of Documents/Terraria/ModLoader).

For me, it was partly due to starting in expert- being unable to access the underground stuck me with the *good* but unreliable revolver. I'd get swarmed by bandits, and have to start another trek through the world to reach where I was.
As for where this was compounded by the pack itself,
the early game is just a bit too stringent for how open it is. Where a metroid game would still limit your options until later game, the experience is still fairly railroaded so that you don't get lost along the way or feel like there's no direction to go. Figuring out how to obtain and use orbs/mana/repair items is what took up most of the time, and I think there should be more immediate options. Maybe better craftable equipment or a separate system for the shield rather than using mana (since mage is a complete waste early game, given mana blocks progression.) I just found that the mad ranger is the only weapon I could really use, no matter what I found in the few cabins or surface chests along the way.
Also the ranger is just... *too* unreliable, to the point of feeling unintentional. I can't figure out how to reload it consistantly. Sometimes I can get it to reload instantly after I fire the 6th shot, other times it takes me 20 seconds (no joke) of frantic clicking. I didn't find out you could *bind* reload to force empty the chamber and refill it until well after I had suffered through it. I also think that, while the steady hand thing is a neat gimmick, the revolver is just *waaay* too difficult to use otherwise. I can't really guarantee a hit on anything that isn't directly in front of me, at which point it's already too late. I really like the nuance of it, but it's hard to appreciate it when you really don't have much other choice and every weapon you find it "ruined" and requires a whole other bit of exploration to fix up.

oh, I also found a dupe glitch that *could* be used as a rather slow money farm. Anvils are normally uncraftable, but along with statues they are obtainable since wood is easily destructible and they can be found in cabins. I haven't tested with anything else, but for some reason any time I break a block beneath an anvil *two* of them drop. Just dozen or so anvils and you've already made a gold coin. It could be that I've run a few QoL mods over the pack, but I can't think of any reason why that'd be the cause. Probably worth checking into.

For me, it was partly due to starting in expert- being unable to access the underground stuck me with the *good* but unreliable revolver. I'd get swarmed by bandits, and have to start another trek through the world to reach where I was.
Maybe I set the bandit spawns too high? I did increase them a bit before the release...
As for where this was compounded by the pack itself,
the early game is just a bit too stringent for how open it is. Where a metroid game would still limit your options until later game, the experience is still fairly railroaded so that you don't get lost along the way or feel like there's no direction to go. Figuring out how to obtain and use orbs/mana/repair items is what took up most of the time, and I think there should be more immediate options.
Wait, are you saying the game mode is too railroaded? Can you be more specific about what part of orbs/mana/repair items was time consuming?

If you're using your kits to get houses to have NPCs move in, you get more options pretty quickly, I should mention. Not to mention valuable fast travel points.
Maybe better craftable equipment or a separate system for the shield rather than using mana (since mage is a complete waste early game, given mana blocks progression.)
For some reason, my brain can't parse this statement. Please clarify. I assume you mean you cannot access mage early because your mana is diverted to shield use? Do note that magic weapons are now much more powerful than vanilla, so there is still a role for them (plus you shouldn't always be needing your shield kept up to full, and therefore should have some mana to spare).
I just found that the mad ranger is the only weapon I could really use, no matter what I found in the few cabins or surface chests along the way.
Is this due to their need for repairs? Maybe I should increase the supply of repair kits?
Also the ranger is just... *too* unreliable, to the point of feeling unintentional. I can't figure out how to reload it consistantly. Sometimes I can get it to reload instantly after I fire the 6th shot, other times it takes me 20 seconds (no joke) of frantic clicking. I didn't find out you could *bind* reload to force empty the chamber and refill it until well after I had suffered through it.
Noted. I can try to clarify that mechanic a bit.
oh, I also found a dupe glitch that *could* be used as a rather slow money farm. Anvils are normally uncraftable, but along with statues they are obtainable since wood is easily destructible and they can be found in cabins. I haven't tested with anything else, but for some reason any time I break a block beneath an anvil *two* of them drop. Just dozen or so anvils and you've already made a gold coin. It could be that I've run a few QoL mods over the pack, but I can't think of any reason why that'd be the cause. Probably worth checking into.
Noted. Bugs like these have been a PITA for ages.

Back
Top Bottom