tModLoader Adventure Mode

Maybe I set the bandit spawns too high? I did increase them a bit before the release...

Wait, are you saying the game mode is too railroaded? Can you be more specific about what part of orbs/mana/repair items was time consuming?

If you're using your kits to get houses to have NPCs move in, you get more options pretty quickly, I should mention. Not to mention valuable fast travel points.

For some reason, my brain can't parse this statement. Please clarify. I assume you mean you cannot access mage early because your mana is diverted to shield use? Do note that magic weapons are now much more powerful than vanilla, so there is still a role for them (plus you shouldn't always be needing your shield kept up to full, and therefore should have some mana to spare).

Is this due to their need for repairs? Maybe I should increase the supply of repair kits?

Noted. I can try to clarify that mechanic a bit.

Noted. Bugs like these have been a PITA for ages.
Sorry if I was a bit unclear, my general issue is just how the early learning curve is unsatisfying as a result of the restrictions. I was suggesting the mod wasn't railroaded *quite* enough, in that I found myself spending more time figuring out what my objective really was. I found my first geothaumic surveillance system half way across the map, and every moment leading up to there was a trudge. Perhaps opening things up a bit before throwing barriers at the player or ensuring that the "mana is needed to progress, you need to find shards first" part was communicated well before you cleared the first one would have saved a bit of confusion. I think giving the player a hand-crafted tutorial of sorts to give them a better impression of how to advance would go a long way. Not saying you need to outright tell them how to play, but just a few mechanical pointers.

I didn't know how to get repair kits for a good while, so I was stuck using the mad ranger for several hours. I think the biggest problem is moreso the frequency of ruined items. I find the accessory slot limitations do a substantial amount to add progression to accessory loadouts, and with the 50% failure chance there's just not enough repair kits to go around when every item you find requires a few to be worth anything but the temporary utility.

As for npcs, the merchant didn't give me a *ton* of options. That's assuming I could hold on to my money for long enough. Yet another part where trying this pack on normal might've served me better.

I was suggesting that the limited mana brought down early game mage as an option. I also saw the major buff to magic, and I do think it makes sense- my complaint in this regard was not that magic was unusable or even entirely unviable, but that early game magic is even more hindered by the mana progression and as such adds to the issue of not finding a lot of alternatives to the ranger early on. Both the revolver and higher tier gem staves end up being about equally unreliable for early game.
I might have been better off switching to a bow, all things considered. I don't think ore was especially difficult to find, and I do think it's well balanced. Getting a bow is not difficult, so maybe I'm mostly to blame for my troubles.

I don't believe I made mention of this either, but I also found the orbs a bit tedious. I do like what they do and the general concept, although I think there's a bit too many colors. Not only does it mean you have to carry a *lot* of them around, but more colors = less likely you are to have one on hand. This makes sense, but I think it comes at the expense of the worth that each orb brings. I think maybe a part of it is just the rng behind it that I find a bit frustrating. You don't know whether you can make good use of a colored orb because all colors are equally useful but also equally lacking in identity. I think I'd find the system a bit less obtuse if either there were either less colors but the orbs were slightly less frequent or each orb color only has its uses in specific environments. For instance, white orbs are only really useful in giving you access to spaces that generated in the surface forest or beach biomes while green orbs are required for clearing any part of the jungle. In that sense, they each have a specific use but you still only get a substantial amount of them with more exploration. I understand that the colors are meant to keep orbs from trivializing the "no digging" restriction, but I think a better balance could be struck in some way.

I don't want to give off the impression that I'm not enjoying the pack at all. I do like the sense of discovery (just found out what the RED meter meant) and I think it picks up a bit once you break the second barrier. I just felt like the early game tried all that it could to push me away from getting to this point, and while I'm not entirely sure what fixes or changes I'd make I think the progression for a metroidvania adventure mode should start off a bit faster.

EDIT: also, is there any convenient way to do away with the cursed bones? They like to spawn in enormous groups, and make accessing some areas virtually untraversable. That's not neccessarily a bad thing, as long as there's some way to deal with them. I personally think destroying these could be a good use for orbs, if another means doesn't already exist.

Sorry if I was a bit unclear, my general issue is just how the early learning curve is unsatisfying as a result of the restrictions. I was suggesting the mod wasn't railroaded *quite* enough, in that I found myself spending more time figuring out what my objective really was. I found my first geothaumic surveillance system half way across the map, and every moment leading up to there was a trudge. Perhaps opening things up a bit before throwing barriers at the player or ensuring that the "mana is needed to progress, you need to find shards first" part was communicated well before you cleared the first one would have saved a bit of confusion. I think giving the player a hand-crafted tutorial of sorts to give them a better impression of how to advance would go a long way. Not saying you need to outright tell them how to play, but just a few mechanical pointers.
A tutorial might not work, but here's a few things I can think of instead:
- Label the location of the PKE devices on the map from the start.
- Add text alert for first time PKE device locates something nearby.
- Show FX for binoculars and magic items when when mana shards are near, similarly.
I didn't know how to get repair kits for a good while, so I was stuck using the mad ranger for several hours. I think the biggest problem is moreso the frequency of ruined items. I find the accessory slot limitations do a substantial amount to add progression to accessory loadouts, and with the 50% failure chance there's just not enough repair kits to go around when every item you find requires a few to be worth anything but the temporary utility.
Noted.
As for npcs, the merchant didn't give me a *ton* of options. That's assuming I could hold on to my money for long enough. Yet another part where trying this pack on normal might've served me better.
It's not clear up front, but ores and gems sell for more than vanilla. Maybe that will help?
I was suggesting that the limited mana brought down early game mage as an option. I also saw the major buff to magic, and I do think it makes sense- my complaint in this regard was not that magic was unusable or even entirely unviable, but that early game magic is even more hindered by the mana progression and as such adds to the issue of not finding a lot of alternatives to the ranger early on. Both the revolver and higher tier gem staves end up being about equally unreliable for early game.
Honestly, higher tier gem staves should be available a bit later, due to their relative power. Magic use is less about being a class, more about being a strategic choice. To commit to them as if a class would require investing in mana potions to the exclusion of ammo for the ranger, which is kinda the point.
I don't believe I made mention of this either, but I also found the orbs a bit tedious. I do like what they do and the general concept, although I think there's a bit too many colors. Not only does it mean you have to carry a *lot* of them around, but more colors = less likely you are to have one on hand. This makes sense, but I think it comes at the expense of the worth that each orb brings. I think maybe a part of it is just the rng behind it that I find a bit frustrating. You don't know whether you can make good use of a colored orb because all colors are equally useful but also equally lacking in identity. I think I'd find the system a bit less obtuse if either there were either less colors but the orbs were slightly less frequent or each orb color only has its uses in specific environments. For instance, white orbs are only really useful in giving you access to spaces that generated in the surface forest or beach biomes while green orbs are required for clearing any part of the jungle. In that sense, they each have a specific use but you still only get a substantial amount of them with more exploration. I understand that the colors are meant to keep orbs from trivializing the "no digging" restriction, but I think a better balance could be struck in some way.
Good ideas. I may consider knocking off an orb color or 2, after crunching some numbers once more. I could try biome-biasing orbs, as well.

There is a later plan for making specific orb types available by specific means, I should note. It involves a new mini-biome and a new boss.
I don't want to give off the impression that I'm not enjoying the pack at all. I do like the sense of discovery (just found out what the RED meter meant) and I think it picks up a bit once you break the second barrier. I just felt like the early game tried all that it could to push me away from getting to this point, and while I'm not entirely sure what fixes or changes I'd make I think the progression for a metroidvania adventure mode should start off a bit faster.

EDIT: also, is there any convenient way to do away with the cursed bones? They like to spawn in enormous groups, and make accessing some areas virtually untraversable. That's not neccessarily a bad thing, as long as there's some way to deal with them. I personally think destroying these could be a good use for orbs, if another means doesn't already exist.
Currently, they can be destroyed with a strong enough pickaxe. I might modify them to be destroyable with any pickaxe. They have a chance to drop ectoplasm and white orbs, when broken. Your PBG (shield) is your best defense against them, currently.

Last edited:
A tutorial might not work, but here's a few things I can think of instead:
- Label the location of the PKE devices on the map from the start.
- Add text alert for first time PKE device locates something nearby.
- Show FX for binoculars and magic items when when mana shards are near, similarly.

Noted.

It's not clear up front, but ores and gems sell for more than vanilla. Maybe that will help?

Honestly, higher tier gem staves should be available a bit later, due to their relative power. Mages are less about being a class, more about being a strategic choice. To commit to them as if a class would require investing in mana potions to the exclusion of ammo for the ranger, which is kinda the point.

Good ideas. I may consider knocking off an orb color or 2, after crunching some numbers once more. I could try biome-biasing orbs, as well.

There is a later plan for making specific orb types available by specific means, I should note. It involves a new mini-biome and a new boss.

Currently, they can be destroyed with a strong enough pickaxe. I might modify them to be destroyable with any pickaxe. They have a chance to drop ectoplasm and white orbs, when broken. Your PBG (shield) is your best defense against them, currently.
Was unaware of heightened gem prices, definitely makes the dropping from jars thing a bit more useful.
And yeah, you're definitely right about mage as a class. Even in vanilla it's a pain to commit at early game, and as such I really should've used the ores more effectively.

Another idea I had for improving orbs could be a compromise. Multiple colors are assigned to each biome, sometimes interchangeably. Could make for a more interesting dynamic, although that's to be determined by whether it ends up making sense.

I was unaware that the cursed bones *had* drops. I have about 90 mana atm, so surviving the bones isn't too much right now... but still dangerous enough that I haven't tried to dig them with anything.

EDIT: atm I'm thinking about how I'd explore the world evil biome. Orbs say they can't remove crimtane/ebonstone, so my current plan might just be to go the OG route-- using purification powder first. Not sure if that's how you intended it quite yet, and also not entirely sure how that'll work once I start using orbs with them. I can definitely see corruption spread being a major issue in hardmode, since anywhere it spreads it also becomes harder to traverse with orbs.

Another idea I had for improving orbs could be a compromise. Multiple colors are assigned to each biome, sometimes interchangeably. Could make for a more interesting dynamic, although that's to be determined by whether it ends up making sense.
I should also mention there's a set of recipes using bombs and orbs together you might be interested in.
I was unaware that the cursed bones *had* drops. I have about 90 mana atm, so surviving the bones isn't too much right now... but still dangerous enough that I haven't tried to dig them with anything.

EDIT: atm I'm thinking about how I'd explore the world evil biome. Orbs say they can't remove crimtane/ebonstone, so my current plan might just be to go the OG route-- using purification powder first. Not sure if that's how you intended it quite yet, and also not entirely sure how that'll work once I start using orbs with them. I can definitely see corruption spread being a major issue in hardmode, since anywhere it spreads it also becomes harder to traverse with orbs.
I didn't mention it too clearly, but hard mode isn't well implemented for this game mode yet. Consider AM v1 beaten once you reach it, for now. Even though there are hard mode features, they're seriously lacking in their current state.

I should also mention there's a set of recipes using bombs and orbs together you might be interested in.

I didn't mention it too clearly, but hard mode isn't well implemented for this game mode yet. Consider AM v1 beaten once you reach it, for now. Even though there are hard mode features, they're seriously lacking in their current state.
I saw the charges... very VERY much looking forward to having a hold on them, although I can't access them until I get my hands on some obsidian. Also, just got a message once the dryad arrived. Guess I had the right idea >.>

Back
Top Bottom