Working as Designed Aggro system bug/Rework needed.

Jostabeere

Terrarian
Steam or GOG
Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 7
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
So lately I've been playing around with the aggro system in Terraria.
I built a setup to minimize the aggro I have with items like the Shroomite armor and craftables out of the Putrid Scent.
And it works. Kinda. While it is noticeable, that enemies who are melee ignore me, ranged enemies do not give a single one about me being stealthy.
My aggro sits at a stable -1950. I notice that most, if not all skeletons in the dungeon ignore me and simply wander around.
But any special caster enemy, the Sniper or the Tactical skeleton ignore the stealth mode/negative aggro. I get shot from beyond my screen by snipers and tactical skeletons, and spawned casters have no issue firing at me from huge ranges. Even if their attacks don't reach me, they reliably target me through multiple walls. No LoS and my stealth still makes them target me.
This also goes for the skull enemies. The small ones and the Giant Skulls. They spawn and know where I am, pursue me and fire their shots even if I am fully stealthed with -1950 aggro.
This is either a bug or an oversight as it makes no sense to me why any ranged enemies are not affected by reduction of aggro in any way.
I did test it elsewhere with same results, but the dungeon is the easiest area for this.

It's not meant to be a safeguard. It's just a slight reduction mostly for melee. This was covered in another thread recently.
I know it is not a safeguard and only reduces the range at which enemies aggro on me.
In theory is most useful for ranged enemies, to avoid being sniped down from offscreen.
I want to know why it is not affecting ranged enemies. Is there any explanation on this?

Its not clear from your post/discussion whether you are playing in MP or not.

You mention "Both" in the SP/MP field, but AFAIK, Aggro effects only significantly impact multiplayer.

Its not clear from your post/discussion whether you are playing in MP or not.

You mention "Both" in the SP/MP field, but AFAIK, Aggro effects only significantly impact multiplayer.
I assumed you want to know whether the bug/oversight of the mechanic appears in SP or MP. Well, in both, but I mainly play SP.

The effect of reduced aggro is intended to work with another player with more aggro than you. It is pretty much useless in SP since the only thing enemies target is a player, and being the only one, they will then always target you anyway.

ShadowOfDarkness is correct . . . aggro, in essence, dictates whether an enemy chooses to attack you over another player (or at least influences it). If you are the only player, it doesn't have much impact at all.

ShadowOfDarkness is correct . . . aggro, in essence, dictates whether an enemy chooses to attack you over another player (or at least influences it). If you are the only player, it doesn't have much impact at all.
All sources of information state that in singleplayer, reduced aggro actively changes the range at which enemies notice the player. With high enough reduction of aggro it is possible for enemies to not notice the player at all.
I do not see this as useless or non-impactful at all.
It does work as intended for melee-oriented enemies, reducing the range at which they notice me in singleplayer, so the mechanic works as intended there.
But when it comes to ranged enemies, which are not mentioned to be special anywhere regarding this mechanic, which obviously works to an extent, it fails to work as it should be.

So is there an exact definition on how aggro works? Is there somewhere a text or a line of code which can exactly show me how reduced aggro works in singleplayer?
So I know exactly that it only reduces the visible range of melee-only enemies and ignores any ranged enemies?

Back
Top Bottom