NPCs & Enemies Alternate wall of flesh

TheDrunkKnight

Terrarian
hello, i post here in hopes i get seen, been playing for years, if we get a alternate version of hell, ONLY IF, maybe it could be ice themed? Like trechery from dante's inferno. and instead of a wall of flesh you have the floor of ice, it starts at the bottom of the world and you have to go up, instead of sideways. I think it would be cool

Fighting a boss like this while having to move upwards would be incredibly difficult; far more difficult than the normal WoF fight. There would have to be some serious gameplay adjustments for this to work, but personally I see this as more of a potential secret seed feature if anything.
if it was made for after you obtain an infinite flight mount it wouldnt be too different from the normal WoF
maybe it would work similar to the WoF
if you spawn it when in the upper half then it comes from space down, and vice versa. That way you can choose to either fall from it, or fly up away from it

Question: how big is this thing? Because, the WoF is only as tall as the height of the underworld plus some buffer. For this Hellfrost Floor to match this standard it would have to be as wide as the entire ****ing world!!!! That would just flat out put to much stress on most devices and just wouldn’t work.

I think the concept isn't bad, but I don't really think we're going to be seeing an alternate Hell any time soon.

I still stand by the fact this boss would be the length of a full world which means that it would crash most games. Expanding on this, it would likely be segmented like the destroyer so killing it might not actually be that hard. As long as the game doesn’t crash fist.

Niflheim. Niflheim would be most appropriate. It is the land of the frost giants in Norse mythology, as well as where the actual afterlife is.
I meant as the boss's name to be the "Palisade of Permafrost"... Although by your logic, I guess maybe the most notable frost giant from Greek Mythology could also work for a replacement boss...

I meant as the boss's name to be the "Palisade of Permafrost"... Although by your logic, I guess maybe the most notable frost giant from Greek Mythology could also work for a replacement boss...
Ah, ok. I didn’t understand that at first. I don’t know any frost giants from greek, but a biome like this could have a Jotun boss. Hel or Jormungand would also be fun. My question, however, is the manner in which the boss spawns.

Niflheim. Niflheim would be most appropriate. It is the land of the frost giants in Norse mythology, as well as where the actual afterlife is.
The original suggestion mentioned Treachery, the bottom circle of Hell in Dante's Inferno, which I think is more appropriate than Niflheim, if only because there are debates about the impact of Christianity on the modern understanding of Norse mythology, but no such debate exists for the Divine Comedy.

The original suggestion mentioned Treachery, the bottom circle of Hell in Dante's Inferno, which I think is more appropriate than Niflheim, if only because there are debates about the impact of Christianity on the modern understanding of Norse mythology, but no such debate exists for the Divine Comedy.
Correct. However, the Cristian alterations made the religion more like their own, not less. Helheim, the area in Niflheim that hosts the dead, is not in any way similar to Christianity’s Hell. The people there end up there because they did not earn glory, and continue a facsimile of a regular life. In Christianity, sin and evil brings them to a Hell where they burn for eternity. Very different. I think it is safe to say that this detail was mostly unaltered. Plus, I don’t know what Dante’s Inferno is, but I wouldn’t think that adding locations from other media would be the wisest decision. But I dunno. Like I said, don’t know what Dante’s is.

Correct. However, the Cristian alterations made the religion more like their own, not less. Helheim, the area in Niflheim that hosts the dead, is not in any way similar to Christianity’s Hell. The people there end up there because they did not earn glory, and continue a facsimile of a regular life. In Christianity, sin and evil brings them to a Hell where they burn for eternity. Very different. I think it is safe to say that this detail was mostly unaltered. Plus, I don’t know what Dante’s Inferno is, but I wouldn’t think that adding locations from other media would be the wisest decision. But I dunno. Like I said, don’t know what Dante’s is.
You should read it. It’s a great poem.

Side note: Comedy at the time didn’t mean funny, it meant people didn’t die.

Inferno is the first part of the Divine Comedy (Divina Commedia) by Italian poet Dante Aligheri, which was written in the 1300s. It is a trilogy of narrative poetry that details the journey of Dante through various realms of the Christian afterlife after he suffers a crisis of faith. Inferno is about Hell, and most modern Christian imagery of Hell (as well as much of the imagery of the Christian afterlife in general) comes from this poem. It's an excellent book and one of the most important literary works in the world.

The Underworld in Terraria is very heavily inspired by the imagery of the Christian Hell, as you know. However, the idea of Hell being hot and fiery is much less present in the Divine Comedy, where the layout of Hell varies wildly from place to place; only some of it is fiery. The bottom circle of Hell is Treachery, and is completely frozen over. Satan is trapped here, sunk halfway into the ice. I would say that if we were to design a counterpart to the Underworld, it would be better to base it on this than on Helheim/Niflheim, in order to maintain the obviously hostile nature of the place, as well as to better fit the concept of it being at the bottom of the world. However, I do concede that both ideas would likely result in extremely similar execution: a frozen and icy Underworld. Quite honestly, I think there probably shouldn't be a counterpart to the Underworld at all, because there are no other biomes that are similar to it in identity.

Back
Top Bottom