Short Story An Ancient Library has awoken...

A bit of a cliffhanger chapter, I am not quite satisfied with this one.
Chapter 3​

Skenim woke up early, even earlier than the night shift would go to bed even. He went outside quietly so as not to wake up his roommates. Outside he looked at the moon, he saw that it was at a low level, sinking beneath the horizon. This would be the sunrise he had heard so much about.

A night guard came to him. "Aren't you the new person? That Sken?" Skenim smiled, that guard was nice. "My name is Skenim, and yes, I am the new person." He smiled, but instead of smiling back, the guard looked shocked, but then regained control. "If I was your kind, I would go inside now."

Skenim was confused, your kind? What did the guard mean with that? He however didn't ask anything, the guard must've been very sleepy, because he heard a weak snoring sound coming from him. Skenim waited until the sun came up.

He looked at the sunrise, entranced and felt his skin tingle. What was that sensation? He walked back inside because he was hungry, that too, was a sensation that he had not really felt before, especially since he had not been really ful until yesterday. He smelled the air and it was as though he was smelling the best werewolf beef his mom had ever made, three times better.

He ran into the dining hall, smelling the meat being deliciously cooked. "That smells awesome!" The cook put his head out of the kitchen door to look at who would be awake at such an early hour and saw Skenim. "Thank you!" He bellowed and practically shook the entire building, the entire building!

Skenim was the first one sitting on the table he had been designated too, together with the other first-year students. Immediately when the others came, it stood out that he was the smallest, and pale, very pale. The two who went to sit next to him were his roommates, he had not heard their names yet, but the one to the left of him was tall and skinny, even skinnier than Skenim himself, the other one was a bit shorter, but still taller than Skenim.

"So, your name was Skenim, wasn't it?" The tall one asked. Skenim nodded, as he had his mouth full with chicken. He swallowed and looked at the two sitting next to him. "You are my roommates, are you not?" The two looked at each other and seemed surprised. "You noticed? I thought you were already sleeping when we came in."

"I went out of bed early today to see the sunrise." Skenim said it with a smile, before returning to his food. "I am Nare, and this is Orel." The taller of the two said, pointing to himself and then to Orel. "Now, we are excited that you have joined our room, since we now finally have a full room, which means that the team-based excersizes won't be that bad."

Nare was interrupted by Orel, who pulled at his arm, before pointing at a big guy who was listening to them. "Oh cut the crap Orenaga, can't you see that I'm not interested in paying you!" Nare almost seemed to shout, but he had in fact, lowered his voice, he was just putting more force behind it.

The big guy, Orenaga was looking at Nare funny, he wasn't used to having someone push back. "You should now what happens when you don't give at least half of your lunch to me." He pulled his arm back to hit Nare.

A small spoiler for a really short story involving one of my current LTHS characters:

"Be careful of plucking this rose, it has thorns!" She giggled. She loved that she was allowed to giggle. Now to make the changes to get her to be assigned to a proper dorm.

A/N: This story is about Wolfgang, a LTHS student, and extraordinary even for there.

He woke up, excited. Today was the day, he knew it! He had checked the entire building, and the only bugs he had found were those that his parents had put in his luggage to spy on him. He worked tediously to remove the bugs without him coming in sight of the cameras, and constrained his laughter. It would be bad if he was caught now, before he could do it. He crushed every bug, even the ones he was sure were only fakes.

When he was done he removed the second bottom he had installed in his suitcase. He looked around before he pulled the second bottom out, and then ordered a shower kit. He quietly went to the shower, and put a sign on the shower doors saying: "Do not disturb, high need of privacy." He signed it, with two signatures and locked the shower door. He washed his hair, which turned from white to ash blonde as he washed out the coloring. He got out a brush and brushed his hair until it was long and straight, reaching to his middle.

"It is a wonder what a simple change of style can do for how a person looks." He said as he looked into the mirror. He grabbed a towel, looked out of the shower. When he saw no one, he ran towards his room and quickly went in it. There he took some items from the hidden part of his suitcase and layed them on his bed. He put them on and ordered a mirror, a tall, standing mirror. He looked into it and saw himself. His parents would be enraged if they saw him like this, dressed like a girl... As she was.

She saw herself, dressed as a girl as she had dreamed she would one day look like. She loved the chance that she had been given by her parents, even if they thought they had done everything to stop her. She was Marie, Marie Rosethorn, and she was free of her parents' grasp, they couldn't control her anymore, and couldn't force her to act like a boy anymore. Wolfgang would be no more, no matter what abuse her parents put her through, she would survive.

"Be careful of plucking this rose, it has thorns!" She giggled. She loved that she was allowed to giggle. Now to make the changes to get her to be assigned to a proper dorm.

The man looked at his son, he had not jumped when the leader ordered him to. He had thought ahead about the fate that him blindly following orders would have let him to, and in doing so, had disobeyed the leader. "Good, good, a few people didn't mindlessly follow my orders. Young men and women, you who still stand, you are chosen to be in my army!" A few cheers came, but some, including the man, were confused. "You, I have chosen you, because you are not mindless, you have not followed orders that would lead to your death, even though I said it was a matter of life and death. You are people I want in my army because you think about my orders. Do not be afraid to stand up to me if I order you to do something that you think is unreasonable. If I can not explain to your satisfaction, then I will not go through with it until I can."

Now they began to understand. The leader had woven an illusion of a deep cannyon and hung nets under it, no one had really died, but the ones who would have survived were chosen because of that. They were individuals who could think for themselves.

A few years later...

The man looked out of his window. The leader was there, together with the rest of his army, but instead of the cruelties he had heard about the leader doing, the leader came to his door and knocked. The man opened and saw a sad expression caress the leader's face. "I am sorry sir, but your son, he died during the yearly test..." The leader shut up as the man had shut the door without listening to him explaining. The leader simply put a letter in the man's letterbox and walked away.

The man's face was filled with rage, such as his heart. "He made my son kill himself in that test of his. That test was not something he wants people to survive. HE is the one who killed them, just like all those years ago, with those who jumped. They all suicided soon after." The man had to gather others who had seen the truth, who knew that the leader was just killing people for fun. He had to, it was his duty, as the leader himself had said. "Heh, now that's irony."

Another few years later...

"Sir, we are approaching the base, with our army the leader's army won't stand a chance. We can finally overthrow that immortal tyrant!" The man smiled. He had given up everything to fight this tyranny, to destroy the man who destroyed his life. "We might be mortal, but we can overthrow the immortal, we might be mortal, but that's what makes us appreciate life all the more, and that's what makes us value our own thinking. Today is the day that we overthrow the brainwashing immortal tyrant! Today is the day that we win!"

The man looked as his army cheered, today really was the day. They slowly surrounded the castle the leader had holed himself in, and began their advance, ust like they had trained. The man walked through the front gate, accompanied by his trusted second in command. They slowly advanced towards the rooms where the leader could be. "Nothing here sir." "Nothing here either." "Nothing." "Nope." "Found him!" They all hurried towards the last room, where they saw the leader sitting comfortably on his bed.

"Finally, I was beginning to wonder if you were even coming." The leader stood up and walked towards them. "Now, I want to know why you are coming here." The man looked up and gulped. "You killed my son!" Others then came to his defense, saying similar things. "Tsk, sir, have you read the letter I delivered on the day that I told you your son died? Have you told your men what you did afterward?" His men were now looking at him expectantly, how would their own leader fare in a battle of wits against their enemy? The leader?

The man looked down, but then looked up. "My son didn't jump on the first test, so why would he jump later? He had no reason, no reason at all! I have done nothing but followed the damage and ravage your armies caused!" The leader began laughing. "Okay, that's awesome, that's how you justify the chaos you caused? The chaos you caused when you burned the homes of your future men?" And suddenly the leader was not laughing anymore. "You blamed it on me, didn't you? You blamed you setting fire to your house and burning entire house with it, didn't you? You blamed me for your son's death, but you had not even once replied to his letters I sent for him to you, didn't you? You know how he died? He died thinking his father hated him and wrote one last letter in which he explained it. You have not read that letter, have you?"

The man sat on the ground, defeated, tears streaming down his face while his men were enraged at what their leader had done. But the leader was not done yet. "You blamed my armies for forcing people to jump when I said jump, didn't you? You blamed me for forcing people into my armies, didn't you? But now, it's time for you to face the truth, the uncomfortable truth that you have been avoiding." The leader regained his composure and handed the man a gun. "Now, in that gun is one bullet, you can choose, me or you, but know one thing. I. Never. Forced. Anyone. To. Do. Anything."

Eh, this is something...
Chapter 1:

I stood there as the people were looking at the casket, in just a few minutes, it would be my turn to speak, I would tell the story of how I met my boyfriend, well, for them it was my sister’s boyfriend.

I stepped up to the speaking platform. “Hello all, I am Lord Dave, the new lord of the Taken Castle and the one who has to try and fill some of the emptiness left by my adopted brother, my sister’s boyfriend. I will tell you how the old lord really died, not what the MCO wants you to think.”

I had to hold back a tear, I couldn’t cry out now, that wouldn’t be accepted of a boy. Damn, why did I have to change. “It started about five years ago, when me and my sister were begging for some money…”

It hadn’t been me and my sister, as I didn’t have a brother or a sister, as far as I know, I have always been only child, and then my parents died, and I ended up on the streets. Yeah, my life is crap, no, I won’t talk about everything, though it was not really that bad in comparison to some others, I at least had a goal in life.

And then, one day, the most beautiful boy walks in, notices me and starts talking to me! How do you react to that? Well, I was shy, but after a few months I eventually went to his home, it was not a mistake as you might have recognized, since I was here at his funeral, crying over his death. But I should get back on track.

“Anyways, the reason he died was given when he got his powers about 4 years ago, he could give himself superspeed, for a few seconds, so he called himself Lord Burst, he could use his bursts of speed to go heroing…” I really had to hold back my tears, but they didn’t want to be stopped, and I felt a few tears flowing out of my eyes, and I felt the trails freeze. “…He, he really meant a lot to both me and my sister as our lord, and as a hero he has saved us a lot of times, but to us, he meant the most to us as a person.”

I didn’t mention that saving me was why he had gotten his powers in the first place, well, we both had thought that when I got in trouble around four years ago with a gang making a living in our local underworld, he had to save me from the gang and apparently the stress caused him to develop powers, I didn’t… and probably won’t ever… really know what had happened back then, what I did know, was that while the gang members were trying to come in the castle, the one I now ruled, he left through some secret passage and beat them all up in a second, and then he stood there, amazed at what he had done.

“When he got his powers, he immediately got an MID, so that he could function. We found out about a school for mutants he could go to, it would help him train his powers better. So that was where he had been for the last four years, but last month, last month was when it really started. Last month I noticed the first change, I had changed eye colors, from my normal dark brown, I got these glowing blue ones…” I pointed to me eyes to illustrate it. “…So I got my MID, except there, the MCO wanted to keep me until they found out what my powers were, I was comfortable in just coming back, but they didn’t want that.”

“They threatened us to be hold in special holding cells until they could find out about my power. Lord Burst, he did not like it and he threatened to kick them out of here if they insisted on going on with their impossible demands. They relented, or so we thought, so when we went back to the castle, we did not expect some fanatics to try and kill us. They shot with a few guns first, trying to get us to back off and go back to the MCO. They didn’t know our car was armored, but they did dive out of the way when we almost hit them with the car, almost however, also became the problem, as they called in some Knights of Purity.”

A shudder of horror came from a small part of Lord Burst’s… Brian’s classmates, they were his closest friends and he said they should be invited to a funeral should it come to that.

“I don’t know how they paid them, but they did, and we paid for that, we paid for that in the blood of Lord Burst and Lady Camille, as the Knights didn’t give us a chance to surrender, they instantly fired at us with their most deadly weaponry, going for killing us, not even trying to keep up an image of the non-aggressors. Lord Burst used his speed to get us to safety though, yeah, it broke some of my bones, but that didn’t matter, we could heal it, what mattered was that he got us to safety. Then, then he collapsed and we feared there was something wrong.”

“We got him to our hospital wing as soon as possible, but it was already too late, he was burning up, he was going through a burnout and the result… the result you see here, next to me. My sister couldn’t live with the loss of the first person who truly loved her, she died of grief a week later.” The last part wasn’t entirely true, it was true that I couldn’t live without the first person I had truly loved and who had truly loved me, but my suicide attempt failed.

The air around me was frigid now, I had been so caught up in my emotions that I hadn’t noticed the fact that I lost control of my aura. I hurried back to my seat and set to controlling my aura.

I am Dave, born as Camille, always known there was something I didn’t like about my body, which my parents didn’t like, so they put me out on the streets after a big fight, thinking I would come back. I didn’t, I had been planning to run away for a long time already, and this was as good an opportunity as any. I was saved from the streets by my boyfriend, Brian, who later became Lord Brian, and after that Lord Burst.

I had gotten my powers when I was depressed, and found out about the sheer scale of them the day Brian died, when I had tried to kill myself. I can send all my flesh and energy to some other dimension, it also absorbs all the energy around me, giving me a freezing aura. That aura has given me some problems, but I can control it, for now. I can also send my thoughts, or some other such concept, away to that same dimension, in that state I am nothing more than a mindless husk with rotting skin and a huge problem with the truly living. I am a Warper 5 and a new enemy to the MCO.

I am Lord of the Taken Castle, The Cold Touch of Death, I am the Skeleton Lord!

Eh, this is something...: Part 2
I walked among the guests, now was not a time to mourn for the Lord who had died, that was against tradition, no, now was a time to honor the Lord who had died by having fun and living on in their name. Such did tradition dictate, such would be acted. I looked around and saw the group I was trying to find, the Whateley students.

I approached them carefully, not wanting to scare them off. One of them saw me coming and motioned to the others. They all looked around and saw me coming. The one who had seen me coming and apparently the leader of this bunch was the first to speak. “We are sorry to hear about what you went through. You might not believe it, but some of us went through something similar.”

He would have said more, had I not put up my hand to stop him. “I know some of you probably went through something similar, maybe even worse, but right now, I am looking to introduce myself to you, not get condolences about my… brother.” I had accidently let a small gap fall between the words, trying to make sure I didn’t accidently say boyfriend.

“I am Dave, I have no last name, as I abandoned mine along with my sister, to cast of the chains of our family’s traditions. I wanted to ask you about what is to come in my first year, and then, are there any people from Poe in your group?” Two hands went up, one big guy, great looking really, and one girl.

“Then I might want to talk to you a little bit later, about what Poe is like, as I most likely will end up there.” They shifted a bit uncomfortably, but they didn’t say anything about it. The rest of the group just looked at me. “What, I will need some help working through it, and… Well, I am not entirely normal, even compared to you.”

Just as I said you, a loud gunshot was heard and I felt something enter my aura. I instinctively dialed the strength up and the bullet stopped in its flight path. “Come out you dirty old rat! If you can’t take me on face to face, you are not worthy of the title of Lord of the Taken Castle!” The guests were looking at me as I ran towards a particularly large set of trees, only ducking to touch a small bit of the lake and let my aura do the rest in forming a sword, made of ice, this was mine.

There was some cracking of some sticks and out came a man of middle age. “I should have been the one who got that title!” He shouted as he ran towards me, fists up ready to hit me. I rushed towards him and jumped up, hitting both of his fists with my sword, where I let it shatter, slightly.

“Jonas! Long time no see you old good for nothing!” I said as I grabbed the man by his shoulders. “Where have you been, you’re just a tad too late!” His huge grin was enough to see that I was not in trouble as I turned around and addressed the crowd. “This sack of :red: here is Jonas, brother of Brian, the previous Lord, he was kind enough to me to lend me his expertise in avoiding getting caught by the MCO.”

In response Jonas grabbed me and pulled me up. “And this waste of air is your new Lord.” He paused to get a lot of breath and everyone except the Whateley students covered their ears. “ALL HAIL LORD DAVE, THE SKELETON LORD, THE NEW LORD!” The Whateley students were left with ringing in their ears, just like I was, but now everyone inside the walls of our, no, my castle knew, I was the new Lord of the Taken Castle, and I was the one who would protect them as long as I was here.

Then Jonas put me down and walked me back to where I stood when he had shot at me, while I turned to him. “Hey, Jonas?” He looked towards me. “Yes?” “What the hell were you thinking!? You could’ve hit someone innocent back there with that careless shot!”

He grinned at me. “How are you supposed to be a Lord if you can’t even take care of your people? But now, we have to introduce your companions here to our customs, they look quite shocked.” I looked at the students and saw more than one look at me in awe, and fear, I saw that too.

“Well, fire away with your questions, though afterwards, I’ll talk to the Poe residents.” I really wish now that I hadn’t said that, a storm of questions came down on me, though the most dominant question was about my title and what it was about.

“Alright, alright, I get, you got a lot of questions, I’ll first say something about my title, Lord of the Taken Castle. As tradition dictates, I am the new Lord of the Taken Castle, as I was the one who was the closest to the old Lord when he died. The title of the Lord of the Taken Castle is never in the same bloodline if the old Lord wasn’t at least six generations away from the previous from his or her bloodline or killed the last Lord.”

“This tradition comes, according to legend, from back when the first Lord of the Taken Castle, took over this Castle, the Bloodred Castle, from its previous owners and renamed it to the Taken Castle. The old Lord made his will on his deathbed, and stated that only someone who took the Taken Castle from the previous Lord by force would be the new Lord. This was changed by his son after said son had murdered his father with a dagger to be the last person to see the previous Lord alive or the one who took the previous Lord’s life with force or the Castle.”

“I was the last one who saw Brian before he died, and as such, he made me the new Lord. With the title, there come responsibilities, such as that I have to do what I can to protect the citizens of the Taken Castle.” I took a deep breath, and proceeded, looking at their astonished gazes I did however, allow myself a smile. “Yes, those who hold the title are really Lords of this castle, and the surrounding lands, no we don’t steal from the surrounding lands like the medieval lords did, and no, we don’t make people pay money to be safe. Are your questions answered?”

At their dumbfounded looks, I nodded and went through with what I originally wanted to do. “You two, would you come with me?” I then took them by their hands and dragged them away from prying eyes and ears. “I think I should introduce myself again, to the both of you, though I need to know, do you know the secret of Poe? Wow, that rhymed, wasn’t my intention to do that.”

The small girl was the first to speak. “You know the secret? And yes, we do both know the secret.”

I smiled. “Yes, I know the secret, you see, about a month ago, when I got my eyes, I was till called Lady Camille.” I let that sink in, and when I saw that they understood, I went on. “So, when my changes became apparent, Brian made a few quiet inquiries about where I would best be kept safe, and he was brought up to speed on the secret of Poe. Our plan was to move in after the vacation, announcing that he was bi-sexual and that I was myself, a gay boy, changed by his mutation, only in appearance, not in wiring.”

They nodded at their understanding. The big guy stepped forward, looking at me more appreciatively. “Well, I can say that I wouldn’t have guessed it from the way you walk and talk, and you would be welcomed with open arms I think.” The girl then stepped forward. “It is quite a shame you left the sisterhood for the brotherhood, but I think they’ll understand, most of them anyway. Well, let’s get back to the party, and let’s have fun until we have to go, see you in the new schoolyear!”

And with that, the party went on, and we had a great time remembering our Lord, our classmate, our friend.

In the Shadows

By Wyverntamer
Let me spin you a tale, a tale about the driving force behind the revolution. It started way back when. Using the old calendar, we estimate it would be around the 18th of July, 2097, in what was once known as the centre of the civilized world. The governments of the time had limited the rights of non-human citizens even before the union of the world under the World Government.

The first indication that something was limiting the rights of our fellow citizens had come about a decade before, when the first laws of the kind were made. Civil right organizations were livid but were placated by the fact that some non-human citizens were legitimately dangerous to humans.

It took a while, but the resistance truly began when one man found a body lying in the streets. Out in the open was the body of the person he loved. No one had investigated it, and after he began making waves by looking for their murderers, he disappeared. At this time people truly began resisting the World Government and the first city became independent from them.

The First City was able to break away and rename itself quickly. The World Government was able to keep quiet about it and wrote it off as a singular problem. The thing that they had underestimated, was the fact that a lot of followers of the resistance were going on campaigns around the world, recruiting more for the resistance against the laws that oppressed the non-humans.

It was quite clear in the first three years of the new century that people were beginning to grow disillusioned with the World Government. The leaders of the resistance had hidden in the First, Second and Third Cities. They were growing the resistance quickly, but after the Fifth, the World Government took action. The armies quickly amassed around the First City, trying to stop the resistance with a symbolical capture of the city.

They found the First City empty. No one was living there and it seemed that there had not been a citizen there for over a year. A report about this would be something that the World Government would publish to demoralize the resistance, had they not found the message. It would have been hard to miss anyway, given that it was burned into the old shopping area from before the advent of instant and near-instant transportation.

“We are watching in the Shadows”

They tried to find the meaning of it in the next year, while they tried to take the other Cities back. In the other Cities, they found the same message. Each time they tried to send people to live in the ‘reclaimed’ Cities, the new residents stopped sending updates after three days and declared themselves and the city allies of the resistance after at most a week.

After the people would declare a City independent once more, the people would all disappeare, but their family would still get sent messages. The World Government would try to trace the messages back, but they would get only a signal to the City where they disappeared from. They then would lose the signal, as though it came from the City itself.

The Cities were becoming subjects of ghost stories and other tales; they were becoming subjects of myths and legends. This was what the resistance wanted. Very quickly, the tales of the how’s and why’s of the resistance began to spread, and more Cities joined the resistance.

Now, we all are connected in a way no one had thought we would achieve before. We are the resistance, we are individuals, we are connected, we are the resistance legion and we are ONE.

Back
Top Bottom