An effective AFK farm for the underground snow biome

Is the farm well designed ?

• Perfectly. There's nothing to change and it works well.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Well done but there are still improvements to do.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Not good. Uses too much ressources.

• Not good, there are easier ways to farm the underground snow biome.

• Total voters

Veyhedis

Terrarian
This guide will present you a farm I made for the underground snow biome. It will allow you to get all the specific drops from the biome + the biome keys and the yoyos.

Important : for those who don't want to read the building part, this farm actually uses 199 purple and red ice blocks, not 200.

(I wish I have a higher resolution to take better screenshots...)

The AFK box

Center.png

West side

Ouest.png

East side

est.png

Above the kill chamber

Nord.png
The AFK box

Centre cables.png

West side

Ouest cables.png

East side

est cables.png
- 34 teleporters
- 96 red pressure plates (be sure to use pressure plates activated by the ennemies, red and yellow can be used)
- 21 Spiked balls traps
- 9 spear traps
- 2 flame traps
- 10 super dart traps
- 199 purple ice blocks (not 200, I'll explain why soon)
- 199 red ice blocks (not 200, I'll explain why soon)
- 80+ lihzahrd bricks
- 1 water candle
- One 1-second timer
- 8 chests
- Some lava buckets (I usually use 10-12 buckets)
- Some conveyor belts (in this farm I used 6, 3 in each direction)
- Snow blocks to make the inner walls and the ground for the ennemies to spawn on.
- Wires
- Actuators
The first thing to do is mapping the underground snow biome as much as possible. The farm must be built in the caverns layer (the depth meter must indicate "Caverns"). Don't build it underground. The main reason for this is that the ennemies we want to farm only start to spawn when you enter in the cavern layer inside an active snow biome.
Avoid building your farm near a granite cave or a marble cave. Unwanted ennemies from those biome may spawn in your farm and cripple it.

Once you find a good place to build the farm, you will need to mark an area that is at least 168 blocks wide and 94 blocks height, then destroy every single block in it. Be sure to mark the center as well and leave 3 blocks there. This will be the place where you will stand AFK. All the spawns in the farm will be limited to that area.
Tips :
- Use dynamites to make the process faster.
- Use an Architect Gizmo Pack and make all the outer walls as thick as you can. This will ensure even more that no spawn will occur outside of the farm.
- As a personal preference, I always make an area a bit larger than this. For this farm I dug a 194x100 area.

Drain all the water that may remain at the bottom then cover the ground with lava to block spawns.

When you finished that part, you should notice the background changes to a regular cave when you are near the center.
- Both sides must be symetric.
- Place the first teleporter on the 3 blocks at the center of the cave. Build 2 walls each side of it that are 3 blocks height and place your conveyor belts on them.
- Place 2 rows of snow blocks from the center to the outer walls, leaving an one block space between them.
- From the outer walls to the conveyor belts, place teleporters all over the place until you can just barely see them from your AFK box (like on the first picture)
- Cover all the tiles above the teleporters with pressure plates.
- Wire everything together.
- Place 4 wide snow walls between your AFK box and the first teleporter. Place your super dart traps like on the picture.
- Place a teleporter in the midair (by using the teleporter trick) and actuate it. This teleporter must be high enough to make the mobs fall in your trap by staying far under it in order to prevent them to teleport back outside of the kill chamber when another mob spawns.
- Place your traps like on the pictures. They all should be pointing downwards. You can hammer the traps to change their directions. Actuate them all so that they can shoot through each other (except the flame traps which are the furthest, they don't need to be actuated).
- Make a 4 block wide wall all around your trap.
- Pour a lava bucket.
Reproducing the picture.
- Connect the 2 teleporters groups to the floating teleporter. Be sure to make a very long wire to teleport the mobs correctly. The wires from both sides must remain separate.
- Connect all the traps to an 1-second timer.
- Add the chests and the water candle.
- Add the evil ice blocks and the lihzarhrd bricks.
- This farm makes the ennemies spawning directly on pressure plates connected to teleporters. As soon as a spawn occurs, the ennemy is teleported inside the trap and killed. Super dart traps are used to hit any mimic and nymph spawning offscreen to force them to move and get teleported. Those 2 ennemies can't be teleported if they don't move.

- The teleporter is placed in the midair to make the mobs fall in the trap. It is not placed on the ground to avoid having the mobs staying in front of it while they are killed. This way prevents them from being teleported outside of the trap when a new monster is warped inside (most of the time).

- 199 purple and red ice blocks are used instead of 200. This allows the player to manually toggle the corruption and/or crimson biomes at will by placing a block (him/her)self and removing it. This also allows you to control the spawns of pigrons and biome mimics. You can also toggle on or off the souls of night and the biome keys.

- An active snow biome is required for this farm to work. This farm must be built inside the cavern layer. The underground snow biome ennemies seem to be directly related to the biome itslef rather than the spawn surface. They don't spawn underground neither. Be sure the background is matching a snow biome's one. By using snow and ice blocks the farm should work just fine.

- The water candle and the lihzahrd bricks give an optimal spawn rate. This farm doesn't take care of Ice Elementals, but jungle bats spawn instead of them and the giant bats. Their drops are still given by the other ice ennemies so nothing is lost.

- It is recommanded to summon a minion in your box when you activate the evil biomes to kill the pigrons that pass through walls. You can also rearrange the farm and use the slime mount invincibility trick to get around those problems. Heart lanterns, campires and banners will make the farming process faster and safer. Beware of evil mimics.

- The walls are used to prevent any mob to get around the teleportation system. They also prevent those big Ice tortoises to clip through thinner walls and get outside of the trap.

- Spawns are controled using specific dimensions (see the building part) and lava at the bottom of the farm.

- The skeleton merchant is not such a nuisance since it gets teleported just like all the other mobs and killed pretty quickly by the lava and traps, thus doesn't cripples the spawn rate too much. The mobs just fall on him and do decent damage too.

Feel free to post your questions and opinions about the farm.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom