An end to Terraria... please!

Lakmoots

Terrarian
One of the great strengths of Terraria has been its longevity and the immense way that its developers have continued to support the game... for years and years.

However, there is a drawback to this... constant changes.

I have lost more friends in Terraria than I have gained because they simply couldn't stand the game changing every nine months - in some cases invalidating and corrupting whole worlds with each new edition.

It is actually a little toxic to think that in a sandbox/building game you are constantly having to start afresh because the game has made your world either redundant, or worse corrupted because of base code changes.

One of the worst examples is the seemingly ADHD manner that tiles and items keep changing their look. We are on maybe the fifth different change to how common building blocks look.

If you spent one year building a giant castle and it suddenly got a complete tile change... yeah, that is why most of my friends have stopped playing.

I am actually appealing to the designers of Terraria to, well... FINISH the damn game already.

And... for the LOVE OF GAWD please stop changing the look of building blocks like a child who can't decide which chocolate they want from the candy store.

One of the great strengths of Terraria has been its longevity and the immense way that its developers have continued to support the game... for years and years.

I have lost more friends in Terraria than I have gained because they simply couldn't stand the game changing every nine months - in some cases invalidating and corrupting whole worlds with each new edition.

It is actually a little toxic to think that in a sandbox/building game you are constantly having to start afresh because the game has made your world either redundant, or worse corrupted because of base code changes.

One of the worst examples is the seemingly ADHD manner that tiles and items keep changing their look. We are on maybe the fifth different change to how common building blocks look.

If you spent one year building a giant castle and it suddenly got a complete tile change... yeah, that is why most of my friends have stopped playing.

I am actually appealing to the designers of Terraria to, well... FINISH the damn game already.

And... for the LOVE OF GAWD please stop changing the look of building blocks like a child who can't decide which chocolate they want from the candy store.
you now, this isnt freakin minecraft, kid... you can also just not update if you dont want to

To be honest, I don't think 'every nine months' is a difficult pace to keep up with. Yes, certain updates might substantially change content, but if you haven't discovered all an update has to offer in nine months, you are doing something wrong.

As for the updated sprites, they are being updated because they are old sprites that have been in the game for ages, and the developers feel they need a new and better look. I know only a few sprites that have been updated more than once, so I wouldn't say it's spastic at all.

But to get to the core of the issue, no, I don't think Re-Logic should stop updating for the sake of conservatism. Once Terraria has exhausted all the potential it had, then yes, it might be time to call it quits. But the way I see it, we're not there quite yet.
you now, this isnt freakin minecraft, kid... you can also just not update if you dont want to
You can not. Updates are mandatory. There is some form of regression possible with GOG, but apart from that you have to keep Terraria up to date.

I have never seen this for myself, nor that many complaints about it, especially for PC version. Terraria worlds are pretty damn stable, in most parts. My main world was created back in 1.2.3, and it's still doing good. I suspect some have ones from further back.

As for worlds being redundant, you don't have start afresh just to access the new content. You probably won't be able to appreciate early game items if you keep using the same character from day one, but still, a new playthrough isn't necessary.

For the sprites, it's mostly because some of the old blocks looked way less polished compared to the new additions. I can get getting somewhat annoyed that your builds don't look the same anymore, but it's not like they turned from tomatoes to splatter.

What a strange request. Usually terraria players always want more items. In my experience I never had encounter such problem thought. I am sorry for you :/

It's ridiculous, just stoping playing because of item and building material sprite changes.
It was needed, just image adding new green block looking too similiar to the Mythril block, for your issue they added paint, for even more building variety than making old building materials look unique.
Maybe it actually inproved visual of the castle but you are maybe only who hate it. I don't want another recolours of classic bricks or block, it makes it unapealing. It made in 1.2 building more interestring.

Making updates without any bugs is hard and isn't just that fast how do you think, + making textures like vanity items, armors and more building materials is not too easy too.
Why are people unrespectful when it comes for nice free updates?

Last edited:
I always thought terraria was played out a long time ago. I stopped playing it. And since I have no congregation I will likely leave this place as well. I've been here too long.

Dude just disable updates( i dunno) for terraria or accept the updates. A game needs to change.

Also why do you get so triggered of blocks getting looks changed, its not like you got attacked by appearrance changing blocks.

There are far worse things than that to complain about than blocks.

Dude just disable updates( i dunno) for terraria or accept the updates. A game needs to change.

Also why do you get so triggered of blocks getting looks changed, its not like you got attacked by appearrance changing blocks.

There are far worse things than that to complain about than blocks.

You cant disable updates they are forced.

And the "new" obsidian blocks look like cancer ridden bile.

You cant disable updates they are forced.

And the "new" obsidian blocks look like cancer ridden bile.
I actually ridiclusouly love them, I think it make a kinda sense why obsidian is so smooth.
Why I am I thinking age of cancer is dying when somebody right now said it.
I think you are only who does look like it and you can't stand beauty of the Obsidian.

We need update to make Terraria to grow and add more things to the game that people what really wants. The dev can't stop update if they had enough of updating this game.

Other than the obsidian tiles (which, I admit, got changed into something bad) I don't recall any huge tile changes since 1.2/2012, so I dunno how a whole castle would suddenly look bad after a game update. Unless obsidian is what you used.

I also still have my main home on a map that dates from early 2013, and it has not failed loading ever, so I dunno what's up with that.

Maybe you could get the game from GoG.com. Yes, that'd require you to buy it again, which is annoying. Although they do sometimes have these special events where you can sync GoG with Steam and get certain games on GoG for free if you had bought them on Steam.
You could then just use the GoG version, since that won't force any auto-updates on you.

I'm pretty sure dungeon brick types got changed a lot. Back in 2012 when my friends dragged me to Terraria it looked like colored brick and nothing more. So if you built a Disney-like fairy castle with pink and blue brick one day you got an unpleasant surprise when it grew skulls on blue brick and eyes on pink and turned freaking creepy! Don't remember what happened to green dungeon brick though...

Also cobalt brick changed pattern from regular brick pattern to some irregular tiles. Personally i hate this one but i haven't ever used it either.

In 1.1.2 were bricks still recolours. In and after 1.2 (mostly) every building material got unique pattent.
Am I only whos still does like changes of the building materials and don't conplain about it? Dungeon Bricks weren't made to build a disney casttle LOL.

In 1.1.2 were bricks still recolours. In and after 1.2 (mostly) every building material got unique pattent.
Am I only whos still does like changes of the building materials and don't conplain about it? Dungeon Bricks weren't made to build a disney casttle LOL.

I don't know some people don't worship game developers.

this game will continue till Cthulhu comes
It's not going to happen. Moon Lord is Cthulhu's brother and possibly murder him for a power. Three eyes are named True Eye of Cthulu.
I said it evem you might be joking or you don't know it. + Cthulhu suggestion are banned on the forums for a fun fact.

Back
Top Bottom