PS4 angler quest fish help...

ZeroJinKui

The Destroyer
i have no idea how to get these things... no matter how hard i try, i never seem to find any of the fish the angler asks for, despite me fishing in the areas he tells me to.

i mean, i caught an eater of plankton by sheer luck, but when i brought it back to him, he ignored me completely and asked for a completely different fish, a dirtfish, which i absolutely could not find and almost ran out of bait trying to catch, so i just gave up on it.

do i need certain levels of fishing power to catch these quest fish?

i have the corruption fishing pole, 20% power... most of the bait i find ranges from 10% to 20% or something like that.

i found VERY few higher levels of bait, like the buggy bait in the jungle, and i can craft those enchanted nightcrawlers, but i strangely can't find many worms.

seems like i'm just having a lot of bad luck... never gonna get the rewards from the angler cause i either can't find the fish he wants, or if i DO catch them, he suddenly wants something else and the quest isn't completed, so i'm left with a useless item he no longer wants. %:sigh:

Quests change every day, at 4:30. If you haven't turned in that day's quest reward before that time, he'll want another.
I hope you're not throwing away the quest fish that he no longer wants, since he can ask for them again.

Fishing can be hard in the beginning, where you lack the fishing power items to boost yourself a bit. This does indeed influence your ability to get quest fishes.
The best thing you can do is getting the best fishing pole possible (yours is decent), and the best bait possible. Worms are easy to find during the rain, as long as there's grass for them to spawn on. Having NPCs nearby will help.

And make sure that you're fishing in a -large- pool, preferably at least 300 tiles of water, so you won't get any junk and generally have an easier time.
The pool's surface needs to be unobstructed. Any part of the pool that is covered by tiles does not count towards the pool's total fishing water.

From the wiki:

202px-Fishing_dimensions.png

Angler will ask for a new quest fish each morning (4:30am) and you have until next morning to complete the quest. Don't fret if you fail to turn it in in time, he will ask for that fish again eventually. It is best to fish in the morning before 10am or early evening after 4pm as the fishing power will be higher. Fishing power influences you chances to get a good catch, the higher the better. You can compensate for low fishing power by fishing in a large pond/lake, preferably 300 tiles or larger. Later on when you have better gear you can get away with smaller ponds.

When you have found a good fishing spot, put down a chest there. Then you will be able to catch more than one quest fish for later use next time angler asks for it to save time. When you have caught one quest fish put it in the chest, then fish another until it's time to return to angler. Please note that if you have a quest fish in your inventory, you won't be able to catch another.

Don't forget the other fishes you can catch, many are quite useful when making potions.

alright, i managed to get the sitting duck fishing rod from the traveling merchant, i've noticed some serious improvements from that.

also, i guess that is why i was getting a lot of trash, the underground pools i fished in were in submerged caves/tunnels, so the majority of the water was covered.

and i've been saving every fish i caught, even quest fish... actually started stashing them in my piggy bank via the money trough item and catching multiple of each quest fish he sends me after, just incase he asks for more in the future.

thanks for the help. :dryadhappy:

Edit: course, i have a new question... what do i do about fish that are "surface"-only? would water in the jungle still count for that, even though the angler mentions the forest, specifically?

the forest areas in my world don't have any water in them, sadly, so i dunno if i can catch those fish.

Last edited:
No, the jungle pools won't do for the forest (purity) fish. If there aren't any suitable pools, you will have to build one. If you have the endless water bucket it's not a big deal, but if you don't have it yet you will have to either use pumps or the U-shape glitch to duplicate water.

endless water bucket? never heard of it til now.

just looked it up... of course it's a hardmode angler reward... i'm not even in hardmode, and i probably won't be for a long time, since i am concerned for my jungle.

UGH! i hate this angler!!!

i've completed several quests now, but he keeps giving me garbage!

literally like one item, if that, and it's always a dumb potion or some other useless thing... i need the three items needed for the cellphone.

also trying to get the gold bug net and gold fishing rod.

now i want this bottomless water bucket... but that is never going to happen.

why couldn't they also make the angler sell bait?

i feel like this whole quest mechanic is a big waste of time... tempted to see if anyone has these items and can just give them to me so i can spare myself the headache.

it would be more fun if he actually REWARDED me... but i feel like i go through all the trouble and burn through my bait only for him to "reward" me with dung.

him being an arrogant little kid just makes the whole thing that much worse. %:sigh:

Back
Top Bottom