Another reason to be excited for 1.4

Llama_Cat

Golem
I posted this on Reddit a week ago, thought i'd share my thoughts here.

TL;DR at bottom

Terraria has been out for almost a decade, and it's had a great run.
Of course, like the rest of the Terraria community, I am very excited for the release of 1.4. New items, new bosses, new biomes: the works. Personally, I'm most excited to see how the early game will change (i think its the weakest part of the game currently; those scarab bombs seem promising) and for the new aesthetic changes like wind. not to mention system changes. Combining the thrown into the ranged class, changing how fishing works, etc. I hope one of the systems to look at in the future is the reforging system. I'm alright with a grind, but am always sad to see hours of work drained into an RNG machine.

But moving the new content aside, I think the most fun thing to imagine is the possibility of a Terraria 2 on a new engine.
I temper my spirits by reminding myself that after a decade of work on Terraria, it is very possible the team is looking forward to crafting new experiences rather than just making more Terraria, but I get my hopes up after reading this article (even though it's super old) : Well Here’s A Thing: Redigit Tells RPS There’s A Terraria 2
That in addition to the apparent enthusiasm dev team members have shown on the official forums makes me believe there's a huge bundle of ideas the devs had to put in a "things we could do in a sequel but can't in the current game" folder. The article above specifically mentions changing how loot works and the [now cancelled] Terraria Otherworld showed us some new grappling physics.

Speculating even further into the hypothetical future, if a Terraria 2 were to be released, I can imagine negative steam reviews coming in complaining about a lack of content compared to Terraria 1, disregarding that ones been in development for substantially more time. In that respect, if a Terraria 2 were to come out, I think it would do well if the developers included in the base game a robust modding API (maybe steam workshop integration as well) and give players reasons to engage in both playing and creating the game. That initial lack of content could be more than made up for by the amount of mods available. (I'm assuming a lack of content, but maybe the new engine could find a way to reuse work that's already done? also, the development team is larger and more experienced than when Terraria 1.0 launched, so it might launch with a boatload of stuff to do)
Imagine having a mod loader in the base vanilla game (think about how easy it is to play modded minecraft with friends via the twitch launcher) where the game would smartly separate worlds by what mods affected their worldgen, and you could slip between servers with different mod sets nimbly at the push of a button?

Sorry for long post, I'm just really excited for the future of Terraria and wanted to share some thoughts.

TL;DR:
1.4 being the last update is exciting because it means the devs can be done with Terraria 1 and start making Terraria 2. I hope Terraria 2 has amazing mod support

Nah I want them to keep updating terraria as terraria 2 will just be a profit grab. Oh well though. Also, why would you expect mods on day 1 where steam reviews would be the harshest?

Nah I want them to keep updating terraria as terraria 2 will just be a profit grab. Oh well though. Also, why would you expect mods on day 1 where steam reviews would be the harshest?
I wouldn't expect mods day one. just mod support. some smaller mods would start showing up within a few days, and large ones within a few months. I'm just saying day one integrated mod support would be really cool. Also, I can't imagine Terraria 2 being a "profit grab". We've already gotten many times our money's worth with Terraria content at no additional cost for almost 10 years. Usually the reason games that get updated a lot get sequels rather than updates is when there is an engine change (like why Destiny 2 exists and isn't just an expansion to Destiny 1). Also, regardless of steam reviews, the people that have played Terraria for hundreds of hours will be able to tell pretty quickly if the game is worth pouring the time and effort to make mods for, or if it's just an empty sequel that they don't want to bother with. People will make mods if they like the game enough to try adding their own stuff to it, regardless of launch day chaos.

If there is any game in history where the devs can't be accused of making a profit grab, it's terraria. Four huge expansions (and many smaller updates) over 8 years and they still aren't even charging us for them, on a game that is really on the cheap side to start with.

I am absolutely thrilled with the announcement of tmodLoader being DLC for Terraria. And if a sequel is made, it give me even more hope that they'll think about mods from day one.

Back
Top Bottom