Biomes & Nature Another type of weather event, The Thunderstorm!

NicAnt

Terrarian
About the Idea This idea is a small idea, but would be amazing if it could be done. What if there could be more to the rain event, what if there could be a new rain event? The Thunderstorm!
There would be lightning in the event that you could see in the background and the screen would flash bright for a split-second with matching thunder of course.rarely you would get get struck, and before you would get struck, the chat would say "you feel you hair twitching" or "You start to feel strange". When you do get struck, you will see a falling star type object fall from the sky and you will take 250 damage. The only way to avoid getting struck, is going underneath blocks and you would only get about 5 seconds to react. Any metallic armor would increase the chance of you getting struck.
The enemies in the event would be the same enemies in the rain event.
NEW ENEMIES
The flying squid would be a pre-hardmode enemy. It would fly around just like the flying fish, but would also shoot ink at the player that causes blindness. The Ink that it shoots could be dodged by hitting the projectile with your sword. STATS Damage:10 Projectile Damage:5 Max Life:15 Defense:3 Drops 1 silver, Staff o' Ink
The Angry Gold fish would be a pre-hardmode enemy. It would spawn when hitting a gold fish, then nearby goldfish would turn into angry gold fish. STATS Damage:5 Max Life:15 Defense:5 Drops:Goldfish and no coins because you could be able to farm them. :p
The hardmode equivalent to the flying squid. Shoots Ink that causes blindness. STATS Damage:35 Max Life:50 Defense:15 Projectile Damage:20 DROPS 5-10 silver coins, Octopus arm.
Gold fish can walk, Why not Piranhas? The Walking piranhas will be the same speed as normal piranhas when they are swimming after you, But they would walk on land instead. They would hunt you down like a zombie. They would also be a pre-hardmode enemy. STATS Damage:6 Max Life:15 Defense:2 KB Resistance: 0% DROPS: 90 Copper coins
The Angry Nimbus's counter part, But deadlier. The Angry Cumulonimbus would fly above the player and rain on the player just like the angry Nimbus, But would randomly fire lightning bolts at the player. STATS Projectile Damage: 50 Damage: 75 Max Life: 400 Defense: 35 KB Resistance: 75% DROPS 10-15 Silver Coins, Thunder Rod.
During the event, any slimes on the surface would be able to slide instead of hopping. It will just slide just like it is on water. Also when a slime gets to a wall, it would just try to jump over it a few times and if it does not succeed to jump over the wall, it will just slide back the other way. The logic behind it would be that the rain gets the ground wet enough so that slimes would be able to slide fast instead of just hopping.
A sword like weapon (like the zombie arm) that is huge. STATS Damage:47 Knockback:8 UseTime:6 Rarity:Red
NONE CURRENTLY
Jester Bullet: The counterpart to Jester's Arrows, it is more powerful since piercing is more powerful on guns. Does the same thing as jester arrows. STATS Damage:13 Velocity:0.9 Knockback:5 Crafting Recipe: 20 musket balls, 1 Fallen Star.
Staff o' Ink The staff o' ink shoots the ink projectiles that the flying squid shoots. Drops off of flying squids. STATS Damage:23 Knockback:4 Mana:20 Velocity:10 Rarity: Green Sell: 3 gold coins.
: Thunder Staff Precursor to Blizzard Staff. Makes 1-2 lightning bolts rain from the sky, each dealing around 30-40 damage. Crafting Recipe: 20 Merteorite Bars and 15 Lightning Bolts.
Fallen Lightning Bolt a Fallen Star type item that falls to the ground like a fallen star, but only comes down in hardmode and when it rains. Also disappears when the rain goes away. Can be picked up and used to craft various things. ToolTip: "Disappears with the rain"
Electric Star a mana crystal type item,but when used gives you will permanently gain 5 more mana. Crafting Recipe: 1 Fallen Star, 5 Fallen Lightning Bolt(s). ToolTip: "permanently gives you 5 health".
Flight Potion: Extends flight time. Crafting Recipe: 1 Bottled Water, 1 Fire blossom and 1 Lightning Bolt.
The music in the event would just be the normal rain music. I don't really want any intense music because well, Whats so intense about rain?

Thats all of the ideas that I came up with so far and I hope you enjoy my current ideas to improve the rain event! :):):) Credit goes to Fortanono for the some of the items and some enemy ideas. Credit also goes to GoldenTerrabyte for a(n) achievement idea! The rest of the ideas suggested will be on tomorrow! And that's a promise. :p

Last edited:
Background lightning would be good and really needs to be in the game to match the thunder. Damaging the player sounds a bit cheap though - unless they get a little forewarning like some buildup of electricity light in the ground or something.

Flying jellyfish/squid would be ideal.

Sliding slimes is a really cool idea. Slimes: faster, more deadlier.

(going to judge you as if this was posted in the Suggestion College, as I'll be one of the teachers :p)

When I see a suggestion like this, it usually means that it's bad. But this one is pretty good! However, I feel like it needs to be formatted better, and also needs more content. Right now, it strikes you with lightning randomly, and it has a (pretty creative) enemy and Slime behavior that I really like. First up, that lightning. It could be really annoying if you can't avoid it. So how about this: It's a projectile like a Fallen Star rather than a sudden, instantaneous bolt. That way, there could be time to dodge before it hits the ground.

In addition, there's no loot. So am I supposed to assume that it's a useless event? Even rain has some items like the Nimbus Rod and Rain Coat. So I was thinking that you should have some weapons to go with this. Here are my ideas:
  • Lightning Bolt: Fall from the sky, as mentioned above. They can be picked up as items, but damage you heavily if they fall on you. Used to craft certain things.
  • Flight Potion: Extends flight time. Crafted with 1 Bottled Water, 1 Fireblossom and 1 Lightning Bolt.
  • Jester Bullet: The counterpart to Jester's Arrows, it is more powerful since piercing is more powerful on guns. Because of that, it is crafted with 20 Musket Balls and 1 Lightning Bolt, instead of a Fallen Star.
  • Thunderstorm Staff: Precursor to Blizzard Staff. Makes 1-2 lightning bolts rain from the sky, each dealing something like 14 damage. Crafted with 20 Merteorite Bars and 10 Lightning Bolts.
  • Starbolt: In Hardmode, there would be a chance for one of these things to fall from the sky, but only one. When you use it, it increases your maximum mana by 5, adding 5 mana to one star and turning it electric blue.

Finally, as I said before, it could be formatted better. For example, you have all of your information scattered into one paragraph, when you could organize everything into spoilers and provide stats for weapons. I saw your other thread, so I think you can do it here too. Something like this:

Enemy Name
___ max life
___ damage
___ defense
___ AI (this is how it acts. You can look up the list on the wiki)
[Insert special properties here]

Melee Weapon
___ damage
___ knockback
___ use time (Speed. The lower the use time, the faster the weapon.)

Ranged Weapon
___ damage
___ knockback
___ use time
Uses ___ as ammo

Magic Weapon
___ damage
___ knockback
___ use time
Uses ___ mana

I should warn you, though. It's not this simple. You're going to have to check the wiki a lot. But that's really no problem. Just check similar enemies/weapons to see if those stats work.

(Oh, and if you use my ideas, credit me. :p)

Last edited:
There should probably be more enemies too. Maybe a Thunder Slime? And some Zombie variant too like a Frankenstein Zombie (different from the Frankensteins in eclipses). And some unique HM enemy.

(going to judge you as if this was posted in the Suggestion College, as I'll be one of the teachers :p)

When I see a suggestion like this, it usually means that it's bad. But this one is pretty good! However, I feel like it needs to be formatted better, and also needs more content. Right now, it strikes you with lightning randomly, and it has a (pretty creative) enemy and Slime behavior that I really like. First up, that lightning. It could be really annoying if you can't avoid it. So how about this: It's a projectile like a Fallen Star rather than a sudden, instantaneous bolt. That way, there could be time to dodge before it hits the ground.

In addition, there's no loot. So am I supposed to assume that it's a useless event? Even rain has some items like the Nimbus Rod and Rain Coat. So I was thinking that you should have some weapons to go with this. Here are my ideas:
  • Lightning Bolt: Fall from the sky, as mentioned above. They can be picked up as items, but damage you heavily if they fall on you. Used to craft certain things.
  • Flight Potion: Extends flight time. Crafted with 1 Bottled Water, 1 Fireblossom and 1 Lightning Bolt.
  • Jester Bullet: The counterpart to Jester's Arrows, it is more powerful since piercing is more powerful on guns. Because of that, it is crafted with 20 Musket Balls and 1 Lightning Bolt, instead of a Fallen Star.
  • Thunderstorm Staff: Precursor to Blizzard Staff. Makes 1-2 lightning bolts rain from the sky, each dealing something like 14 damage. Crafted with 20 Merteorite Bars and 10 Lightning Bolts.
  • Starbolt: In Hardmode, there would be a chance for one of these things to fall from the sky, but only one. When you use it, it increases your maximum mana by 5, adding 5 mana to one star and turning it electric blue.

Finally, as I said before, it could be formatted better. For example, you have all of your information scattered into one paragraph, when you could organize everything into spoilers and provide stats for weapons. I saw your other thread, so I think you can do it here too. Something like this:

Enemy Name
___ max life
___ damage
___ defense
___ AI (this is how it acts. You can look up the list on the wiki)

Melee Weapon
___ damage
___ knockback
___ use time (Speed. The lower the use time, the faster the weapon.)

Ranged Weapon
___ damage
___ knockback
___ use time
Uses ___ as ammo

Magic Weapon
___ damage
___ knockback
___ use time
Uses ___ mana

I should warn you, though. It's not this simple. You're going to have to check the wiki a lot. But that's really no problem. Just check similar enemies/weapons to see if those stats work.

(Oh, and if you use my ideas, credit me. :p)
thanks for the ideas and i will credit you. Thanks for everyone else for the support! :happy:

Updated the Thread. Made it a lot more organised! Let me know what you think :)
you forgot about the items.
also, you one shot goldfish, so they cant turn angry.
you also forgot the AI.
also, it couldnt hurt to suggest music for the event.

Last edited:
So, had a few more enemy ideas.
  • Walking Piranhas: In rain, goldfish walk. Here, piranhas could walk! They would act like Fighter AI enemies, but would have the same stats as a regular Piranha and the same drops as well. It can also open doors and it spawns in excess at night.
  • Flying Octopus: Acts the same as the Flying Squid, but doesn't drop the Staff of Ink and has weaker stats.
  • Angry Cumulonimbus: Acts like an Angry Nimbus, but also shoot Necromancer-like lightning bolts that bounce off things.
Also, buff the Flying Squid. It needs to be more powerful.

So, had a few more enemy ideas.
  • Walking Piranhas: In rain, goldfish walk. Here, piranhas could walk! They would act like Fighter AI enemies, but would have the same stats as a regular Piranha and the same drops as well. It can also open doors and it spawns in excess at night.
  • Flying Octopus: Acts the same as the Flying Squid, but doesn't drop the Staff of Ink and has weaker stats.
  • Angry Cumulonimbus: Acts like an Angry Nimbus, but also shoot Necromancer-like lightning bolts that bounce off things.
Also, buff the Flying Squid. It needs to be more powerful.
Ok thanks for more of your ideas, they will be used :D Tomorrow is when your ideas will be on and ill add more details to everything if i can. Oh and i also added a weapons tab but only one weapon is there currently. Also i will put flying squid pre-hardmode instead and replace it with the flying octopus!
[DOUBLEPOST=1429579697,1429579524][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh and i also made angry gold fish stronger!

Ok thanks for more of your ideas, they will be used :D Tomorrow is when your ideas will be on and ill add more details to everything if i can. Oh and i also added a weapons tab but only one weapon is there currently. Also i will put flying squid pre-hardmode instead and replace it with the flying octopus!
[DOUBLEPOST=1429579697,1429579524][/DOUBLEPOST]Oh and i also made angry gold fish stronger!
sorry to be nitpicky, but magic weapons dont have velocity.

Back
Top Bottom