Console Anybody else think the Sharanga Might be too OP for Pre-Hard Mode?

inkjetlabel

Terrarian
Sorry if this is gonna be a hairball o' text, but I'm just throwing out a bunch of random thoughts that may or may not make sense. Mostly I'm curious what others think.

I'm honestly not 100% sure the Sharanga is in fact OP, but the thought crossed my mind when I was reading this thread here, about what your favorite pre-Hard Mode boss is.

A lot of people seemed to like the Queen Bee, but I basically just flattened her twice yesterday, using all pre-Hard Mode gear. What happened is, the main world I'm playing solo (on XBox) doesn't have any hives, so I started another world to fight the Queen Bee and get the Hermes Boots I'd had no luck finding (Ugh.) Since my solo world is just about ready to go into Hard Mode I've got full Molten Armor, a [Deadly] Night's Edge and a [Godly] Sharanga, which is how I went into this new world.

Anyway, the Queen Bee struck me -- at the time -- as kind of lame. More like the King Slime than anything else. I'd never encountered her before, and here I was beating her twice in about a minute or two each time, tops. Ho hum. Then I come here, and see that she's by far the most popular boss in that poll. Huh? And I killed her simply by plonking away with the Sharanga. Almost feel like I missed something somehow.

FWIW, this is my first attempt at doing the game completely solo and completely legit on XBox, with no duping, glitching, help from others, whatever. Maybe I'll be singing a different song once I go to fight the WoF with all pre-Hard Mode gear, we'll see. Also my first time back to the game since the 1.2 update. About three weeks ago I created a new character, and have been playing 100% off-line w/it, soft-core, of course. I'm also not quite ready to tackle the WoF yet, either. I need to dig a few more Hellevators first, I think, but once I do that, I think I'm basically ready now.

Like I said, just wondering what others thoughts on the Sharanga bow are.

well, you're saying a boss is too easy by using gear that you normally, probably, wouldnt have at the time you face it... unless you never explore the jungle before reaching hell and getting all the strongest pre-hardmode gear.

you went into a new world fully geared up, what do you expect?

also, again, the sharanga would normally not be obtainable until you've advanced to the point where you should be strong enough to fight the WoF and enter hardmode... so of course its gonna be powerful against anything before that point.

Zero is plainly right, you need a lot of hellstone bars to get that bow and the underworld is very dangerous so you need weapons so that you can fight them. When you defeat the Queen Bee, they expect you to fight it with weapons such as the Phaseblade, Demon/Tendon Bow, Normal Mode Dungeon Weapons et cetera. An overgeared player will completely dominate! It doesn't help either if you take dips in the honey...

Not a great example on your part, I have to say - Queen Bee can be reasonably challenging, but not with Hellstone gear. She's kind of a pushover even with Dungeon gear - for a real challenge, you'd be looking more at Meteorite/Shadowscale/Crimson arms and armour. Your Hellstone stuff was roughly twice as effective as that gear pool, so it's no surprise you trounced her, amigo!

That said, I do think the Sharanga's a bit overpowered, though not for the reasons you listed there. However, I really do like bows... and were the Sharanga to be nerfed, well, that's about one of the only bows still in common usage for its pre and early hardmode power! :3

aww of the console items Sharanga is one of the few I use... If I am to play Terraria on console (I have it on Xbox)
FYI I main the PC version that I've had since 1.1 but bought Terraria on console during the x box live gold sale
However if some souls of light or night were added to its recipe it would be more balanced as Molten fury is more than enough for the WOF (though considering the WOF glitches up it might be warranted though I would prefer the wall be fixed instead...

As others have said, the Queen is a jungle boss, basically, she IS the King Slime of the jungle. She's totally optional and not necessary for progression at all. If you fight her with hellstone gear you're of course going to be underwhelmed.

The Sharanga is a bit too powerful for pre-hardmode, honestly I think it should probably require souls of some sort so that it's an early/mid hardmode weapon but it's really not too OP for pre-hardmode since it takes so many darned hellstone bars to make.

Last edited:
Looking at the stats on the Terraria Wiki, I'm not surprised you found it easy. Queen Bee isn't a particularly difficult boss in the first place (being on-par with the difficulty of the Normalmode Jungle itself, so I'd say approx. ~Demonite/Meteorite/Dungeon tier would be enough to win easily) - so using endgame Normalmode gear is just.. overkill.

Although yeah, the Sharanga just seems to be one of those extra OP console-exclusive items, easily trumping the earlygame Hardmode bows. I haven't gotten that far on my Vita save just yet (I mostly play on PC, to be fair).. I will say that the Sharanga doesn't seem to fit in the balance of the game. The Molten Fury was powerful enough, it doesn't need to be made MORE powerful for what is essentially the same cost.

The Sharanga is a bit too powerful for pre-hardmode, honestly I think it should probably require souls of some sort so that it's an early/mid hardmode weapon but it's really not too OP for pre-hardmode since it takes so many darned hellstone bars to make.

i have read this part a few times... and it just sounds more and more contradictory each time.

its too powerful, but its not? it needs more ingredients to make it balanced, but its current ingredients are fine? o_O

i have read this part a few times... and it just sounds more and more contradictory each time.

its too powerful, but its not? it needs more ingredients to make it balanced, but its current ingredients are fine? o_O
"It's a bit too powerful... but it's not really too overpowered" it's stronger than at should be but not insanely.

I actually agree that the Sharanga is a bit overpowered for Pre-Hardmode, mainly because it can inflict Cursed Inferno, which is supposed to be a HARDMODE debuff.

Maybe if they included Cursed Flames (not the weapon) in its crafting, it would be fine.

Back
Top Bottom