TCF Suggestion Ban "Welcome to the forums!" messages.

Azu

Retinazer
They serve no purpose. Honestly the forums would probably be a lot better if these weren't allowed and new members were sent a welcome PM instead.

It wouldn't be a no tolerance thing, but if someone does it 8 times in a row then they should be told to stop.

The introductions forum does that job well.
Many users don't know about that when they first start out, or even how a forum works.

I don't see why they're a bad thing, if your only issue is that they serve no purpose, then they will do no harm to you by being left alone.

I think welcome messages are fine. However, going to so many peoples' profiles to welcome them is not fine, when probably half of them won't even be active members of the community. Some people just come to ask a question or something and never come back. Though, I still dislike it when someone is going to stay around here and like ten people welcome them.
Otherwise, it's alright. Nothing wrong with 'em.

1. They are harmless and a nice way for new folks to get acclimated and meet folks.

2. The "new member welcome PM" already exists and has been in place for quite some time. It provides a welcome and important info.
1. It isn't meeting folks. It's saying welcome. It's like going to a new school, and having everyone welcome you. Only some will actually talk to you more.

2. The PM should also direct people to the introductions forum, then.

Say TCF is a school. When you join it, there will be people who both don't talk to you and people who welcome you. The lattee being the welcome to the forums posts. Then there are the people who answer your questions, are friendly, and generally more easily approachable. Those people are the introduction forums. Sure, the welcome people are nice, but it's mostly just them saying it just to say it.

I know when I was starting out here, I barely posted at all, as I didn't really know anyone. Then, I introduced myself, met some people, and it's all been good. I feel like it would be an improvement, which is why I suggested it.

Well, I don't have anything against the welcome messages people post, so I don't think they should be banned. It does not do any harm anyway, so why?

I agree with azumarill about the link to the introduction forum in the introduction PM though, most people never find out about it.

I disagree. I think these messaged are a good way making people feel welcome on TCF, especially if they haven't made an introduction thread. I don't think you should ban behaviour that is meant to be friendly unless it's really disruptive (e.g. Likebombing).

I assume your primary concern is that it pushes other messages down the New Profile Posts page. While I understand that some people dislike it when messages get buried under generic posts like these, I don't think that such messages are inferior in the broad picture and should be outright banned. It would be akin to banning Happy Birthday messages.

I've added a note and a link for the Introductions section to the new members welcome PM.

In no way do I think 'welcomes' should be restricted to an intro thread, though. Some people don't make an intro, some don't make one until months later.

Back
Top Bottom