Pixel Art Beginner Spriting Guide

So, I installed Gimp 2.6.7, The one you recommended. But when I launch it, It just comes up like this:
upload_2016-2-2_11-20-51.png

Where's the grid where I make pixel art? I can't find it.

Try zooming in. GIMP isn't a pixel art program by default, if zooming doesn't work you need to enable the grid somehow.
Well, I couldn't get the grid up, but after messing around I could get a drawing window up:
upload_2016-2-2_11-46-59.png

Progress? The OP was right, Gimp isn't that user friendly.

Well, I couldn't get the grid up, but after messing around I could get a drawing window up:View attachment 94962
Progress? The OP was right, Gimp isn't that user friendly.
Try GraphicsGale. It's designed specifically for pixel art and is very user friendly.
https://graphicsgale.com/us/index.html
There is a free and a paid version. The only difference being the free version doesn't let you save as .gif, which really doesn't matter for making Terraria-styled sprites anyway.

You can also try Aseprite, which is completely designed for pixel art but is paid - the free version doesn't let you save at all.
http://www.aseprite.org/

Try GraphicsGale. It's designed specifically for pixel art and is very user friendly.
https://graphicsgale.com/us/index.html
There is a free and a paid version. The only difference being the free version doesn't let you save as .gif, which really doesn't matter for making Terraria-styled sprites anyway.

You can also try Aseprite, which is completely designed for pixel art but is paid - the free version doesn't let you save at all.
http://www.aseprite.org/
It's also a bit difficult to get transparency to work as intended with the free version of GraphicsGale. That's why I would suggest using Paint.NET to thecoolkni as well. It's a lot simpler to use than Gimp.

It's the best program for making pixel art, this does not include animations.
I beg to differ. It has many features you simply do not need. It's certainly usable and good for pixel art, but not the best.
I use it only for transparency.

Pros:
-Easy to use
-supports transparency
-Has Layers
-Simple interface
-Free
Cons:
-No animations

Yeah, you cannot say it best, but you cannot call one "best", then.
Gimp is good, just some hard to use a bit, same with Photoshop, but this one's harder.
Grafx2 is not bad, but has an old interface.
Graphics gale is too, but you have to buy it if you want to get GIF archive saving.
Asesprite is good, a bit small leters on the interface.
Paint is just way poo, not at all, but comes with the operative sistem.

Pros:
-Easy to use
-supports transparency
-Has Layers
-Simple interface
-Free
Cons:
-No animations

Yeah, you cannot say it best, but you cannot call one "best", then.
Gimp is good, just some hard to use a bit, same with Photoshop, but this one's harder.
Grafx2 is not bad, but has an old interface.
Graphics gale is too, but you have to buy it if you want to get GIF archive saving.
Asesprite is good, a bit small leters on the interface.
Paint is just way poo, not at all, but comes with the operative sistem.
I never said any of them is the best, anyway.

An update/problem: So, I downloaded the newest version of Paint.Net(version 4.0.9), but that was just the installer. So I ran the installer, and it loaded all the assets and stuff, but then it wanted me to download Microsoft.Net. My antivirus said it was safe, so I downloaded it. Once it finished, it wanted me to download it again. I was baffled, but I downloaded it again anyway. It finished and said I had to restart my computer to work. I did. Windows 8.1 did it's updates as usual, but then it just kept trying to restart for 2 hours. I had to do a hard reset.:( Any ideas on how to get Paint.Net working now?

I got paint.net working, and this is the result:
Beaver.png
A pixelated beaver. It sucks, I know. Tips would be appreciated.:p

Well, first, the white is still there, if you select it with the magic wand and press delete(not backspace) it will make it transparent. Also, make sure that you use 2x2 pixels. 2x2 if you didn't understand that is when your pixels take up 4 pixels instead of one.

Well, first, the white is still there, if you select it with the magic wand and press delete(not backspace) it will make it transparent. Also, make sure that you use 2x2 pixels. 2x2 if you didn't understand that is when your pixels take up 4 pixels instead of one.
Thank you for telling me how to make the background transparent. I will make the pixels 2 by 2.

...You just solved both my problems. :)

Here's a cool trick for paint.Net. The pencil tool can only be 1x1, but you can resize the sprite to 200% when you're done for the same effect.

Back
Top Bottom