tModLoader Better Buffs

v1.2.1.1
  • Added support for Hamstar Helpers v1.2.0 mod issue reporter
  • Fixed loading crash

Attachments

• BetterBuffs v1.2.1.1.zip
    33.8 KB · Views: 373
This is a very neat quality of life mod, I'll be using this for a while now. If I could suggest one thing - whenever a buff is about to run out (let's say it has 10 seconds left) an icon for that corresponding buff appears above the player's head. This would not only give you a better overview of which buffs are about to run out but also allows you to refresh the potion effects by clicking on said icon.

What about a way to "Favorite" (de)buffs so that they are easier to tell apart from other ones? (Golden corner, bigger icon, also somewhere else on screen, you name it)
When you have lots of buffs and debuffs, it's a bit hard to take a look at the ones you need; say, for example, the Potion Sickness debuff, or the Chaotic State one, or anything special you have to keep an eye on.
It would be much better if you could recognize said buffs and debuffs with ease
I don't know whether it would be simple or hard to code, I'm just leaving an idea, but it would be nice if you took a crack at it

What about a way to "Favorite" (de)buffs so that they are easier to tell apart from other ones? (Golden corner, bigger icon, also somewhere else on screen, you name it)
When you have lots of buffs and debuffs, it's a bit hard to take a look at the ones you need; say, for example, the Potion Sickness debuff, or the Chaotic State one, or anything special you have to keep an eye on.
It would be much better if you could recognize said buffs and debuffs with ease
I don't know whether it would be simple or hard to code, I'm just leaving an idea, but it would be nice if you took a crack at it
If you shift+click a buff it auto-reactivates, and is given an indication of doing so (a highlight).

To give special emphasis to debuffs is an interesting idea.

I found a small visual bug with the mod. When a player's inventory is open, the shadow overlay still appears. Its hardly noticeable, but I thought I would point it out.

v1.2.1.2
  • Fixed buff shadow rendering when inventory open

Attachments

• BetterBuffs v1.2.1.2.zip
    39.3 KB · Views: 392
hey, i can't seem to get the auto-rebuff thing to work. i try shift left clicking it, and while it does refill the buff (as normal left clicking would do), it doesn't seem to set it to auto refresh. i've tried it with modded potions, and vanilla potions, short length, and long length. it really puzzles me. ultimately it's a minor bug and not one that's too much of a bother, but thought i would report it.

hey, i can't seem to get the auto-rebuff thing to work. i try shift left clicking it, and while it does refill the buff (as normal left clicking would do), it doesn't seem to set it to auto refresh. i've tried it with modded potions, and vanilla potions, short length, and long length. it really puzzles me. ultimately it's a minor bug and not one that's too much of a bother, but thought i would report it.
Have you tried shift-clicking the buff icon? I'm unable to replicate your issue.

Have you tried shift-clicking the buff icon? I'm unable to replicate your issue.
I have indeed. just now went into my game, and tried it with a potion that has a 1-minute duration. I took the potion, the buff icon appeared. I then shift left clicked the buff icon once and waited. when it ran out of time, it did not auto renew. so I'm confused. guess it might just be something wrong with my terraria, since it seems to happen whether I have other mods or not

I have indeed. just now went into my game, and tried it with a potion that has a 1-minute duration. I took the potion, the buff icon appeared. I then shift left clicked the buff icon once and waited. when it ran out of time, it did not auto renew. so I'm confused. guess it might just be something wrong with my terraria, since it seems to happen whether I have other mods or not
You could try reporting an issue if you have Mod Helpers (via control panel; top left icon), or posting your Logs.txt file right after attempting shift+click and failing. If you post the logs, be sure to list your active mods.

Huh, I'm not entirely sure how to describe this issue, but when I have Various Weathers installed alongside Better Buffs, during the Heat Wave event which applies a constant debuff to you, if I enter the snow biome, which removes said debuff from you, the debuff icon will appear and disappear every frame, leading to intense flickering of the debuffs area of the UI, especially if other buffs are present, as they get continually shifted in position by the disappearing and reappearing.

I can only assume this is because the event debuff is getting applied each frame, then the very next frame, the snow biome takes it away, over and over again.
That said, apparently in vanilla without Better Buffs, the icon disappears and remains gone instead of flickering in and out.
I... Honestly don't know why that would be. Sorry this isn't a very useful report.

Edit:

New report, similar to the above but not the same kind of issue. Instead of a buff constantly appearing and disappearing, it's a case of a buff that does have a very short timer being constantly applied by a nearby furniture, causing instead the dark buff timer overlay to flicker as it goes up and down constantly. Managed to get footage of this one. (Ignore the orange dot in the corner that's from the recorder I think) Dunno if this is fixable on your end without sacrificing some functionality, but I've seen it occur with a number of mods in the past, just never got around to mentioning it because it wasn't really a big deal.
buffs.gif

Last edited:
Some new information (a bit late): Your key bindings might not include a binding for LeftShift (AutoSelect or SmartSelect). You'll need to verify this (maybe even by input profiles.json directly).

Some new information (a bit late): Your key bindings might not include a binding for LeftShift (AutoSelect or SmartSelect). You'll need to verify this (maybe even by input profiles.json directly).

I sent a report through ModHelper as well (I think), but just to be sure I looked in the "input profiles.json" and there under "Mouse and Keyboard" I find
Code:
"SmartSelect": ["LeftShift"],
"SmartCursor": ["LeftControl"],
just as I expect it to be.

Clicking or shift+clicking doesn't do anything in both single- and multiplayer, even though I have the appropriate potion in the inventory. I've disabled every other mod except Magic Storage v0.4.3.4, Mod Helpers v5.0.0.4, Better Buffs v1.2.2.1 and imkSushi's Mod v4.3.1 which didn't help.

Edit: Oh yeah, Terraria v1.3.5.2 via Steam and tModLoader v0.11.4

Last edited:
I sent a report through ModHelper as well (I think), but just to be sure I looked in the "input profiles.json" and there under "Mouse and Keyboard" I find
Code:
"SmartSelect": ["LeftShift"],
"SmartCursor": ["LeftControl"],
just as I expect it to be.

Clicking or shift+clicking doesn't do anything in both single- and multiplayer, even though I have the appropriate potion in the inventory. I've disabled every other mod except Magic Storage v0.4.3.4, Mod Helpers v5.0.0.4, Better Buffs v1.2.2.1 and imkSushi's Mod v4.3.1 which didn't help.

Edit: Oh yeah, Terraria v1.3.5.2 via Steam and tModLoader v0.11.4
I cannot replicate this issue. Do you mind sending me your client.log file when you try this?

Okay, deleting Mod Configs, Mod Specific Data folders, config.json, favorites.json and input profiles.json fixed it. Got the idea after I noticed it worked on 1 of my 4 machines. Looking forward to doing all the settings again :-D

I sent you the client.log as a DM before I did that anyways in case it helps.

Edit: Aaaaand it stopped working again. Trying to find out why.

Edit2: Setting "Remove Forced Minimum Zoom" in Settings/tModLoader Settings to the default "Off" (whatever that does, I always tick it in the hopes that it doesn't zoom in to 1980x1200 despite my 2560x1600 resolution, which so far hasn't worked) seemed to fix the problem. I'll keep you updated if it changes again, even though turning this setting on reliably reproduces the problem and setting it to off fixes it for now.

Last edited:
Okay, deleting Mod Configs, Mod Specific Data folders, config.json, favorites.json and input profiles.json fixed it. Got the idea after I noticed it worked on 1 of my 4 machines. Looking forward to doing all the settings again :-D

I sent you the client.log as a DM before I did that anyways in case it helps.

Edit: Aaaaand it stopped working again. Trying to find out why.

Edit2: Setting "Remove Forced Minimum Zoom" in Settings/tModLoader Settings to the default "Off" (whatever that does, I always tick it in the hopes that it doesn't zoom in to 1980x1200 despite my 2560x1600 resolution, which so far hasn't worked) seemed to fix the problem. I'll keep you updated if it changes again, even though turning this setting on reliably reproduces the problem and setting it to off fixes it for now.
Does turning it off affect anything in the game?

Does turning it off affect anything in the game?
Not that I can tell. The option doesn't do what I would have expected it to do anyway, so I turned it off and told my wife to do the same. I haven't been able to find out what else it is supposed to do, so now I just have to remember not to turn this option on after my next Terraria break :-D

Back
Top Bottom