Game Mechanics Boss health scaling revamp.

Should boss health scaling be optional?

• I agree with this idea, it would balance the bosses more.

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Only for Expert, Normal mode should remain unscaled.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I have to sadly disagree with this idea as I believe the current implementation is fine.

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

The Storm

Golem
As you all know currently bosses health scales in Expert mode only depending on the number of players. While this does add more challenge, it can mean a massive difficulty spike from normal if you play with a lot of players.

So what I’m proposing is the Boss scaling is an option separate from world difficulty, and can be activated on both Normal and Expert worlds. Having it on or off would affect the drops of course:

Health scaling on: All players receive loot

Health scaling off: Boss only drops its loot once.

This means that if health scaling is off for Expert then the boss only drops a single treasure bag, and if it’s on for Normal then all players can get their own loot from the boss, providing they contributed enough damage.

The amount of extra health scaled in Normal should be about the same as it is in Expert. (~Extra 35% per player).

I believe this would massively help balancing the bosses with multiple people, as normal mode unscaled bosses are far too easy with multiple players, but Expert mode ones are ridiculously hard.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
As you all know currently bosses health scales in Expert mode only depending on the number of players. While this does add more challenge, it can mean a massive difficulty spike from normal if you play with a lot of players.

So what I’m proposing is the Boss scaling is an option separate from world difficulty, and can be activated on both Normal and Expert worlds. Having it on or off would affect the drops of course:

Health scaling on: All players receive loot

Health scaling off: Boss only drops its loot once.

This means that if health scaling is off for Expert then the boss only drops a single treasure bag, and if it’s on for Normal then all players can get their own loot from the boss, providing they contributed enough damage.

The amount of extra health scaled in Normal should be about the same as it is in Expert. (~Extra 35% per player).

I believe this would massively help balancing the bosses with multiple people, as normal mode unscaled bosses are far too easy with multiple players, but Expert mode ones are ridiculously hard.

Thoughts?

Definitely agree here, but I think this option should be open when setting up a multiplayer game since It might clutter the already plentiful options for the world generations.

Hope Terraria devs consider this for 1.4 as it would help make multiplayer more fun for those in a more casual playthrough.

Not everyone is so comfortable with Expert yet, but bosses are far too easy in Normal mode with numerous players.

I was going to make a thread here posting that boss health scaling and loot bag sharing should be on by default (but maybe add an additional 25% per player rather than 35% like in expert) since not only are the bosses too easy, it's not a fun grind to do-i.e. if you have 3 other people (not even that many) you probably have to fight some bosses 4 or even 8 times at least just to get everyone some drops in normal mode. Expert mode can keep its enhanced exclusive loot and cool boss AI, but just having (less text flashy) treasure bags in normal worlds would be very nice.

That said, I think the concept here is even better. Make it an option (and make it an option on the server.exe and steam host & play instead of world gen). I pretty much agree with everything people have been saying on this thread.

Back
Top Bottom