Blocks & Decoration Bring back the old metal brick textures.

Hie the Badger

The Destroyer
Before the update bricks took on the pattern of gray brick, but looked like a metallic counterpart to gray brick. I was insulted by the new textures back on TO and continue to be now, more so as 1.3 grows near because I have a feeling they are going to either stay the same or take on another more convoluted form. I know some people have taken a liking to the new brick textures (impossible for me to understand) so what I propose is this: If you wont change the bricks back then at least add a style option to change the brick textures back to original.

I cant enjoy the new brick textures, I can't even build with them anymore because the textures are so grating to look at. No, I cant just paint gray brick. They have no shine effect and no sparkle effect that made me want to use them in the first place.

Am I the only one bothered by this?

EIxLpZW.png

Update: Don't tell me about TCCL. I won't hear it. Especially if you act like it's god's gift to the universe. TCCL is off topic here and will be ignored as off topic.

Last edited:
I guess you make some true points. An option to change the textures to a different one is highly unnecessary and I don't think the developers would want to go through that for something simple you can do yourself. Just find the files and replace the photos with the sprites, if it bothers you so much. Unless, of course, you are doing multiplayer, it should pretty much be fine.

Not sure I'm a supporter of this suggestion, though,

How about make the new textures new blocks called "decorated ore block" and bring the old textures back under their original names. I definitely agree with you that they look terrible, but I don't think it's happening. Even though I'd like it to ;P

Too pointless IMO. Like Pixel said, not that difficult to replace textures.

The problem with that is that it nails down the idea that devs can change thing whenever they want and not add any options to change things around. Especially when it comes to heavy changes like they did with the bricks. "Well they can just add them back with a texture pack." Pretty bricks becoming convoluted and gritty. Though I don't know what the hell happened with the copper bricks. Seriously. I think the title I gave it is very fitting.

I have a feeling I know what happened because these bricks look eerily like what happens when I play with the effects list while playing with paint shop pro while the zquil is starting to kick in.

PS. This sort of reminds me: I want to know, directly from the devs, why they choose the patterns on these bricks (I know I'm going on about bricks a lot but that's the :red:ing topic). I feel I'm barking up a tree at a cat that may never even come down. I want at the very least if the devs cant add such an option, at the very least an answer on why these things are the way they are. This is a suggestion but it also doubles as a "What the hell, devs?"

Although I did not the purchase the game in time to see those old textures, I've watched a lot of old terraria YT videos and see what you are talking about.
But I like them to stay because the bricks back then were just recolored versions of each other, which is kind of limited to build seeing as there is paint. If you wanted too, just get a weak type of the old versions of them by getting gold bricks and painting them a deep color. Or simply ask a friend to make a texture pack or yourself.

I just like the different varieties of brick styles there are and prefer to see it that way.

I'm just gonna say that I'm neutral for now since they look cool, but paint doesn't do so much to get that old version.

I would love to get the "everything looks the same" textures back, even as an option... Frankly, I can't build with Hellstone, Obsidian or any of the metal bricks, because they look like crap to me now. Hope the same thing doesn't happen to my favorite bricks (I won't mention them because I would be tempting fate.)

I liked some of the original textures for them... Now they are not even bricks.... as the name implies. Mudstone... I loved before. Don't think there is a color option right now for that. Been a while since I used paint. Barely know how it works, and will simply figure it out when I get around to it. However if correct the options at least with that in mind are going to be expanded in the next version.

I actually still use mudstone, but I don't use it the same way I did before. If they had a sparkle/shine line of paint, that would account for mainly of the old textures that were similar and same.

would be nice just to be able to within game have both options or have a way to get both options. Some of them are easier to mimic with paint, but not all of them. I think it probably would be best as a paint added option, that way it could be done with other textures as well...

Unfortunately, I don't see this happening. The old metal bricks are outdated because you can simply paint Grey and Red brick to take on the colors of the metal brick and I am glad that they are changed. The paint might not be 1-1 accurate, but close enough.
What the devs can do is add in metallic paint, which is not impossible, and will probably satisfy this.

because...pissed they updated lazy recolors and taking a stand against change by... keeping yourself unhappy when an easy solution exists?

bricks are like when they redrew the chests so all wooden chests didn't look identical

Dude if I have to mod my game to get something back that was once a feature, I may as well forget all the develeoper content and only use mod content. The same thing happened with minecraft.

not really no. for one thing the devs would never know if you had...theres no reason to be pointlessly unhappy by not just using them
(unless you're pretending right now
yeah that'd make more sense actually)

I think the Gold Bricks should stay the way they are right now. They look better than before, but I do agree about the rest being poop.

I find nothing wrong with the new bricks.
I think the old ones are unbearably ugly. Just because of a few people's opinion they shouldn't re-implement the old (and ugly) brick textures, when there is an easy fix. TCCL.

I have updated the OP to reflect that TCCL is off topic. It is, actually, so make sure to read that. Reports will not go out I just want everyone to know that advertising TCCL to me will not be fruitful. I cant speak for others.

"just deal with it": How many of you actually use these tiles? Please show picss of things you have built with them.

"On topic posts": @Tamorr had a nice idea with the sparkle paint.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom